Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Terry Pratchett: Living with Alzheimer's

I realise that people outside the UK may not be able to see this, but I've just watched the first part of a documentary which shows Terry's actions since it was announced he has Alzheimer's (or a rare form of it.)

Link HERE.

The program was filled with Terry's customary intelligence and humour in what must be a truly scary place to be. His search for the truth and a possible solution was both uplifting and honest. As I should've expected, this was not a depressing diatribe about the unfairness of it all (which it so easily could have been) but a cry to arms.

Not only did the fact that Terry was clearly not going to go without a fight become clear but also that there are others out there with the same problem who are also suffering.

To see an icon such as Terry living with such problems is such a DAMN shame, but most importantly perhaps was the fact that it could happen to any of us - could indeed be happening to any of us.

So: although I've already given before, I'm now off to Match it for Pratchett, to buy a Discworld book and do something for the Alzheimer's Research Trust.

I just hope that some of those watching who have never read Discworld realise what we could be losing and do the same. Not just for Terry but all those other literate, intelligent and eloquent people out there. And those who have read Discworld, if you wish to contribute, please feel free.

If that was the point of the programme: it worked.

The man deserves a knighthood. (Oh....)

Mark
    Mark

I'm so bummed I don't have access to that over here in the US. I would absolutely love to hear about his experiences.

I've seen Terry Pratchett books in the book stores for ages, but just finally picked one up last summer. Fell in love INSTANTLY. For Christmas, my family bought me about 20 of those books. I'm presently reading Wyrd Sisters.

Anyway, I'll be watching for that documentary on DVD. Or maybe BBC America will air it sometime.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would be very surprised if BBC America didn't take it up, effing, though there is a time delay, obviously: would it be on Youtube at all?

Mark
    Mark