Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good fantasy vampire titles

What I've had trouble finding lately was specific FANTASY-styled novels. Not generalized fiction such as Twilight or Historian, and not horror-styled vampire novels such as 30 days of night.

Only example of this type of novel I could find was Voyage of the Shadowmoon. Basically set in a completely fantasy world, with one of the main characters a 700-year old vampire.

If anyone can recommend me some books along these lines, I would appreciate it tons.

Blog Entries
    I do know that Octavia Butler has a novel called Fledgeling that is based somehow on vampirism. I have not yet read it, but perhaps it would fit what you're looking for.

The Noble Dead series by Hendee (first book: Dhampir) is a decent series with more than a half dozen books out. It's about a part-human, part-vampire warrior (called a Dhampir) that hunts down assorted evils in a fantasy realm. It's worth checking out.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Twelve by Jasper Kent

The Joe Pitt books by Charlie Huston

Dresden Files by Butcher

The Felix Castor books by Mike Carey

Southern Vampire series by Charlaine Harris

I am Legend by Matheson ( ok, horror, but good)

Let the Right one in by John Ajvide Lindqvist

The Vampyricon trilogy by Douglas Clegg

Assuming that by "fantasy" you mean "high/secondary world fantasy," I'd second the recommendation for Dhampir (although I didn't find the book itself to be much better than average, it does involve vampires in a high fantasy setting) and throw in Black Sun Rising, as the Hunter is a vampire in all but name.

If your definition is a little broader and would include a late 19th century setting, then add Fevre Dream -- possibly the best vampire novel I've ever read.

Ranke Lidyek
    A Sharpness on the Neck by Fred Saberhagen. He also wrote a sequel. Both very good books.

Knights of Dark Reknown by David Gemmell. One of my favorites.

Blog Entries
    The Dhampir books I've read were quite good. And I second Fevre Dream as one of the finest works of vamp fiction ever.

I didn't think of the Dresden Files series, but yes, there's lots of great vamp stuff in there, as well as involvement in the Sidhe world.

One author that is never mentioned but who, in my estimation, should be highly ranked is Elaine Bergstrom. One of her novels is about a woman who was widely believed to be an actual vamp because of her bloody activities.

In looking up her correct name, I came across this article, which mentions bunches of vamp novelists, besides naming a bergstrom book I havne't read yet.
    http://www.strangehorizons.com/2002/.../vampire.shtml

see, you just guys assumed this was another "vampire fiction plx" thread. it sadly isn't.

I've read Fevre Dream, I am Legend, and Fledgling, and NONE of those have the fantasy-novel-feel to it.

As for the other novels, thanks, I'll check em out. Once again, not looking for Vampire-fiction, loooking for FANTASY NOVELS that involve vampires in some way

thanks in advance.

Cool time travel

i need help to find this old, maybe made for tv movie: lady and husband move into old house, she finds an old dress, when she puts it on she goes back in time and falls in love, her present husband gives her a locket, she tells him she is going back in time but she will send him a message that she is ok, the present husband thinks she has runaway but when he is emptying their house he finds an old painting of his wife but she is wearing the locket he gave her. It is not the movie Somewhere in time, though it is similar.

Unhappy time travel

sorry wrong tread

Fledgling is absolutely wonderful. I love Butler's re-imagining of the vampire tradition. However, it is obvious that the novel was the foundation for future stories and unfortunately, Butler died before she could write anymore. The book is incredible, but the ending is bittersweet knowing that there will be no more to come. Even so, I highly recommend.

Dracula by Bram Stoker is the classic, and if you haven't read I recommend in order to get a feel for the beginnings of the legend.

Interview with the Vampire is excellent, but certainly follows the traditions of the vampire story.

I am Legend is much better and different than the movie that was recently made. Highly recommend this fast read.

I just started reading the first of Anita Blake series by Hamilton and am not enjoying it as much as the titles mentioned above. I'm definitely hoping it gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by metamike View Post
    see, you just guys assumed this was another "vampire fiction plx" thread. it sadly isn't.
    Settle down Beavis. We got a lot of people asking the same questions over and over again here and generally, one of the first things new people do when they join our forum is ask for a recommendation by starting a new thread.

As to your specific recommendation, how about China Mieville's The Scar - it features a great vampire, is set in a fully realized secondary world, and also involves pirates and strange aquatic creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    As to your specific recommendation, how about China Mieville's The Scar - it features a great vampire, is set in a fully realized secondary world, and also involves pirates and strange aquatic creatures.
    Pirates make my pants shrink. Therefore I thank you for that recommendation. Butthead.

After reading through the thread more slowly, I realized I didn't answer your question at all. Sorry about that.

I guess the novel that felt most fantasy like was Interview with the Vampire because of its more "regal settings" at times. However, don't think this is what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by metamike View Post
    Pirates make my pants shrink. Therefore I thank you for that recommendation. Butthead.
    Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, but The Scar is a terrific book.