Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Supercalifragilistic

HELP! I need a new series to read

Hi everyone. I'm a first time poster and visitor.

I have serious problem. I've run out of reading material.

So, I was wondering if any of you could please recommend something? I will list my top 5 books/series as well as a bunch of my favorites.

Top 5 in no particular order.

Sword of truth series (Terry Goodkind)
    Wheel of time series (Robert Jordan)
    Magician and all other (Raymond e. Feist) books
    Night Angel trilogy (Brent Weeks)
    The Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss) which i just finished reading and am jonesing for something else.

Other books i have read

ALL the Dune books including his son and Kevin J Andersons books.
    Most Ender books (Orson scott Card)
    Colour of Magic
    Song of ice and fire books (George R R Martin)
    All the Eregon books
    Farseer Trilogy (Hobb)
    Hobbit and lord of the rings
    Harry potter books
    Narnia books
    Mistborn series (Brandon Sanderson)
    Belgariad (David Eddings)
    Sword of Shannara (Brooks)

I have read many others but do not want to write them all down.

As you can see i am more into fantasy than sci fi. So please, if you can recommend something i would be very appreciative

Thanks in advance

First, welcome to the forum! We hope your stay here is long and you make good acquaintances.

Second, rather than people coming here and repeating the recommendations they've provided in other threads, I'll direct you to some of those threads:

Series recommendation for a new reader
    Need help picking new fantasy series to read
    Looking to start new series
    Hopefully putting this in the right place (looking for a new series to read)
    **looking For Fantasy Trilogies**
    my next series to read
    Fantasy series
    Rate fantasy series you've read out of 10

First Law trilogy by J. Abercrombie
    Malazan by Erikson

Supercalifragilistic
    Thanks bastard i was just looking into Abercrombie to read next, funny that you said that. I read the first 2 malazan books. i think i got stuck on the second one i'll have to look for it.

Supercalifragilistic
    Rob B, I looked at those lists and alot of people have some of my favorite books rated below 5. Maybe they suffer from the opinion that because a book is read by so many that it's not good. Alot of people think its cool to like lesser know authors.

I didnt see patrick rothfuss on alot of those lists. How could someone not like that book. One of, if not the best book i've read. I didnt see brent weeks either.

First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie
    The Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch
    Chronicles Of The Raven and The Legends of the Raven by James Barclay

I would suggest reading Shadows of the Apt series by Adrian Tchaikovsky, 3 books out in the series, 4th book comes out in Feb. Cracking stuff.

Small plug - I do a podcast, and we have a book club. Our next selection is the first in this series Empire in Black and Gold, and Adrian has agreed to come on the podcast for an interview and to answer questions from listeners/readers about the first book. Due to interview him end of Jan or thereabouts, so plenty of time to put Empire on your Christmas list.

Considering I have read just about everything you have, I do have the perfect series for you: Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. (http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/alera/)

Based on the books you read, you will love this series (which starts with Furies of Calderon).

Supercalifragilistic
    Thanks Khale. that is one of the books i am thinking of reading it's between that or The Magic of Recluce by L.E. Modesitt,Jr. I'm thinking of reading Jim Butcher first.

Quote Originally Posted by teahupoo View Post
    ...I looked at those lists and alot of people have some of my favorite books rated below 5...
    Welcome to the forum. Rob's recommendation threads contain a nice collection of books, which have been variously praised and panned by site members. My two favorite series are Martin's ASoIaF and Erikson's MBotF, both of which generally receive high praise on this site. But I also like Brooks' Shannara books, which most see as being trite at best and virtual plagiarism at worst. So, go figure. Just remember the standing comment about opinions: they are like a-holes and everyone has one. Judging from what you've already read (per your post), you should be able to discover some good reads among these recommendations. Enjoy your stay here!

Supercalifragilistic
    Thanks whisky

I have read the first 2 books of Malazan but the second one was kind of slow for me and didnt finish it. I've decided to pick it back up.

I have read the shanarah books and they are not at the top of my list, not even on my list actually. So, i do see what you mean by opinions and a__holes.

I just read The Name of the Wind and i am dieing to read a book as gripping as that.

Ive decided on Jim butcher Furies of Calderon. But, if you have another suggestion im all eyes.

Supercalifragilistic
    and i have read song of ice and fire. I loved the first ones. But, the last one was very slow I don't recall if i even finished it. I will be re-reading it before the last book of the series comes out though, I do that with all books that have taken a long time to come out. Who know he may not even finish it. Anyone know if he is even working on it? i dont think he's updated his website in a year or two.

Banned
    Blog Entries

y

Well i've read all your top five and apart from Weeks enjoyed them all. TG only up to book 6 or 7 though. Apart from that I've gotta say you have great taste in books

Now that I've established we have similiar likes i'd recommend the following.

Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince and Dragon Star triloglies.(can't remember which comes first)

J V Jones Book of Words and Sword of Shadow series.

Jaqualine Carey's Kushiel's Legacy trilogy and The Sundering duology. She has another trilogy but I have not read it yet.

Anything by Gemmell.

For scifi you cant go past Dan Simmon's Hyperion Cantos or Peter F Hamilton's Nights Dawn trilogy.

Supercalifragilistic
    Thank cris. I've read gimmel books. I'll note your other suggestions.

Last Sci Fi book i read was Anathem. and i enjoyed it very much.

Supercalifragilistic
    You didnt like the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks? WOW those were action packed books. I really enjoyed them.