Thread: The Skinner

The Skinner

As I believe I mentioned on here before, Macmillan have decided to produce new covers for the first four of my books. I guess they thought it about time what with, for example, Gridlinked now in its twelfth print run. Here is one of them. Please let me know what you think!

Very nice cover, Neal. Very horror-oriented. You've just reminded me that I have The Skinner on my TBR shelf. I'll bump it up now and start it soon.

Well, even though SF it is both fantastical and horrific. Be sure you've urinated before you start reading, Mr Slack Bladder!

Audio Books

The Skinner, The Voyage of the Sable Keech and Orbus - the Spatterjay series - can now be bought as audio books. They can be found here at audible.co.uk

You can also listen to samples of them there. The reader is William Gaminara, who most of you will know as Professor Leo Dalton on Silent Witness.

I read the Skinner on holiday this year, after having previoulsy enjoyed the first three Ian Cormack books. I rate those books very highly, but I thought the Skinner was absolutely excellent. Keep up the good work!

Was about to post this in "Reading in August" but cut/pasted it here. Though in that other thread might have given better exposure to people like me who hadn't read any before..
    Neal Asher - The Skinner Excellent after I got used to the gore. Interesting characters, well developed. Great range of creatures and capabilities. My first Asher, time to find another...

The Skinner was the first Asher I read.... it took a little while to get involving but once it did... it was fantastic and fantastical, and made the absurd seem believable in the same way Jack Vance (my longstanding favourite author) gets away with.

I think it must have been intended to be the initial folks story, but it soon became fundamentally the tale of Sable Keech... and I was all prepared to be mad if he got killed off (okay, that would be redundant, say instead done away with for good). The character is not only unique, he's profoundly interesting (and a little ambiguous) at every level.

I've read a few other Asher books since (tho haven't yet come across the other Spatterjay books) and they're all right, but just not in the same league as The Skinner. It's something special.

Thanks all, glad you enjoyed it. I obviously have more fun when I'm getting weirdly biological.