Server problems!

If you've managed to read this post please be aware that we know of the horrendous problems currently being excperienced at the Forum site. There appears to be a major problem with the host server.

On behalf of Dag and the entire Forum staff, I apologise for any inconvenience caused by this slow down.

Regards,

Neil Cladingboel

Cadfael
    It has been a pain in the ar*e, but it will get better. You must have heard about the 'Code Red Worm'... if you have a home computer, running Windows 95, 98, 98SE, WinME... you need not worry that your computer is infected, because the Code Red cannot effect these systems. However, it has effected systems with WinNT, Win2000... in short 'Network Servers'.

Although it won't infect home computers, users may experience delays or malfunctioning of their favorite Web sites because of worm-generated surges in Internet traffic. Because of that and the danger it poses to Microsoft Web servers, Microsoft, federal security agencies and trade groups hosted a globally televised press conference Monday to urge businesses to install a software patch that prevents infection.

But... your computer is NOT effected by the virus if you run the above safe OS's, it is the INTERNET that has been slowed down, not you!! If you are running an OS that is vulnerable to Red Worm... click Here for more information.

Thanks for the info guys...was wondering if it were just me! Now that I know what the problem is I can easily invoke my mole elemental of electronic energy from its plane of existence on the macintosh network to devour the worm and save us all some trouble

I'm the law... Administrator daigoro's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just wanted to let you know that it's still a problem. Here's part of a message that sffworld.com's hosting provider has posted regarding the problem...

While none of our web servers have been infected with Code Red, the worm continues to scan our 100,000+ IPs addresses for vulnerable servers. While this is going on servers are being bombarded with port 80 requests by the worm in an attempt to penetrate the server. This is causing the CPU loads to skyrocket and legitimate http requests to go unanswered. We have every admin working on blocking the offended IP addresses which now number over 150,000 attacking machines.

Whew...... I was about to give my service provider a piece of my mind!

Thanks to all our members for their patience during the server slow down as a result of the hosting ISP's Code-Red problems.

Things are improving a little at a time, and in trying to help speed things up, we've been archiving some of the older posts to reduce the number of active topics, especially in the Fantasy section. So, if you're looking for a topic that isn't there any more, chances are you'll find it in one of the archives!

I'm the law... Administrator daigoro's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sorry about all the problems lately, not much I could do besides wait for the hosting provider to fix its problems though.

Luckily it seems like everything is back to normal now, and if this happens again I will definitely be moving to another hosting provider...

Well, it seems that the site's been down for about the last 24 hours. Apologies again...though I can only assume that the hosting server crashed again!

It seems okay now, but...