Question book I read long ago.......

This has been bugging me for a while. It was a series of books, read the first one and I would like to continue it but can't for the life of me remember the book title or author. I remember they where traveling on an alien world. Come to a grassy plain but the grass was so tall and sharp that it would shred you if you tried to walk through it. They ended up traveling across the plain on what was described as a boat of sorts. They where being pursued by a female that had metal skin with spikes coming out of her limbs, metal teeth and pretty much unstoppable. I know it's not a lot to go off of but any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Also I remember another book set in space where the enemy was the berserkers?? Any help with that would be great as well. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mentaltwist View Post
    This has been bugging me for a while. It was a series of books, read the first one and I would like to continue it but can't for the life of me remember the book title or author. I remember they where traveling on an alien world. Come to a grassy plain but the grass was so tall and sharp that it would shred you if you tried to walk through it. They ended up traveling across the plain on what was described as a boat of sorts. They where being pursued by a female that had metal skin with spikes coming out of her limbs, metal teeth and pretty much unstoppable. I know it's not a lot to go off of but any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.
    Sounds a little like Dan Simmons' Hyperion. There were 4 books in the series, as I recall.

Randy M.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy M. View Post
    Sounds a little like Dan Simmons' Hyperion. There were 4 books in the series, as I recall.

Randy M.
    You are amazing!! Thanks, that has been burning a hole in my head for weeks now!!

You are amazing!! Thanks, that has been burning a hole in my head for weeks now!!
    I have moments. And you're welcome.

Randy M.

Earthman1
    Also I remember another book set in space where the enemy was the berserkers?? Any help with that would be great as well. Thanks
    That one would be one of Fred Saberhagen's 'Berserker' books.

Quote Originally Posted by B5B7 View Post
    That one would be one of Fred Saberhagen's 'Berserker' books.
    Indeed, Thank you, not realizing it I stumbled into a massive series of books. Do you now if the berserker books follow a timeline or can I just read them at random? I would hate to jump around if the story should be read in order.

They do, but I have no clue what it is. Copyright dates might help?

Earthman1
    There is little correlation between copyright date and actual story chronology, but in general it doesn't matter, because each novel is set on different world or area of space, at different time periods, as the war covers centuries, and the story in each novel is a separate strand of the overall war, with own characters.

So, reading it is equivalent to if say if reading a series of novels about World War 2 and each story deals with a different battle or other event. Such stories one could read in chronological order but don't need to as generally involve different characters whose particular activities are in the main independent of the other battles or whatever, even though an overarcing historical grand story.

Producer/Screenwriter worldmaker's Avatar

Berserker then...

Indeed, Thank you, not realizing it I stumbled into a massive series of books. Do you now if the berserker books follow a timeline or can I just read them at random? I would hate to jump around if the story should be read in order.
    Start with "Berserker" and the rest is mostly random individual stories. There are one or two which follow a specific character, but I can't remember which ones off-hand.