Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50
  1. #1
    Little Witch xCelestia17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    71
    Blog Entries
    1

    Plot ideas for a Medieval Fantasy book?

    Ok so I'm writing a fantasy book, and I have all my characters and research and plan and the like, but I'm having serious trouble with the plot!
    Not what actually happens in the book, but the reasons for what happens in the book and what happened before the book. I keep thinking up ideas but they never seem to work or they've been done too many times before, and I'm kinda getting to the stage now where I can't even think of anything else!

    Its really getting me down, and I wondered if anyone here has any advice or suggestions or just anything helpful at all, if you do then that would be great

  2. #2
    KMTolan kmtolan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Near Austin TX
    Posts
    1,332
    Time to head down to ye local creative writing class, or read up on "Plot And Structure" by James Bell.

    Or both.

    If you can't figure out a good story yourself, then you have issues that won't be solved here, I'm afraid. Still, let me toss a few things at you that might kindle your imagination a bit.

    No elves.
    No wizards.
    No vampires.
    No werewolves.

    The result of this might be something original.

    Kerry

  3. #3
    Speaks fluent Bawehrf zachariah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Manifold A
    Posts
    888

    Wink

    I think you need to give us a bigger hint on what you're after. If you've got your plan and you know what's going to happen in the book, then you must have a plot of some kind already.

    If you're after backstory and motivation for your characters, then you haven't really got them like you said. You just need to spend a bit more time world-building. If you have a bunch of fancy scenes you're itching to write but nothing linking them together, then you really need to have a long hard look at the project.
    Last edited by zachariah; April 28th, 2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Unintended smiley

  4. #4
    Producer/Screenwriter worldmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    92

    Smile Study history.....

    Study history for inspiration.
    Study Tolkien for serious inspiration.
    And dare I suggest you read my little short story to see how I was inspired by Tolkien to write my kind of mediaeval fantasy in January?

    Have you been watching the latest Henry VIII on Channel Four?
    Should be a few thoughts on there?

    (erm, Kerry - I do have elves and wizards and unicorns, and UFOs and men like gods, and the kitchen sink! But forgot the vampires and werewolves!)

    As Kerry says, a fantasy doesn't have to include faries, how about Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure into Olde England meeting up with the totally Princess Babes!




    To clarify: whatever happens in your book has a background, so look first at what you want to happen, then begin asking yourself Why is she/he doing that, what are their motivations, what is the history of these people, their society, their cultural behavioural patterns that drive their reactions to events? You already have the events, now you need to build a world for them to live in, and that world has a history, so look at real history and how it relates to our world as your beginning.
    Last edited by worldmaker; April 28th, 2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Clearing mud.

  5. #5
    Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Farsight Community
    Posts
    6,577
    Blog Entries
    36
    I'm a little confused how you have everything else if you don't have plot, is there something specific you're missing?

  6. #6
    KMTolan kmtolan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Near Austin TX
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by worldmaker View Post

    (erm, Kerry - I do have elves and wizards and unicorns, and UFOs and men like gods, and the kitchen sink! But forgot the vampires and werewolves!)
    Yes, but at least you threw in the sink - that's the clincher!

    Kerry

  7. #7
    Donít be hard on yourself if you havenít nailed a plot down in a few days. Writing a decent one can take months or even years to complete.

  8. #8
    Peckish hippokrene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Between here and now
    Posts
    1,203
    Quote Originally Posted by kmtolan View Post
    No elves.
    No wizards.
    No vampires.
    No werewolves.

    The result of this might be something original.

    Kerry
    My suggestion:

    Elves.
    Wizards.
    Vampires.
    Werewolves.
    Jedi.

    The result of this might be something original and awesome!

    Quote Originally Posted by xCelestia17 View Post
    Ok so I'm writing a fantasy book, and I have all my characters and research and plan and the like, but I'm having serious trouble with the plot!
    Not what actually happens in the book, but the reasons for what happens in the book and what happened before the book. I keep thinking up ideas but they never seem to work or they've been done too many times before, and I'm kinda getting to the stage now where I can't even think of anything else!

    Its really getting me down, and I wondered if anyone here has any advice or suggestions or just anything helpful at all, if you do then that would be great
    You need a plot? You came to the right board! I'm full of plots.

    The reason the stuff is happening is because of a tear between worlds. As the worlds mix, they corrupt and alter one another and the beings within them. Refreshing the barrier between worlds will save humanity the catasrophic change of their mixing, but may also lock the world in a state of stagnation and entrophy.
    Last edited by hippokrene; April 28th, 2009 at 05:53 PM.

  9. #9
    Palinodic Moderator KatG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In an Ode
    Posts
    12,210
    Well, the reasons things happen in the book are two-fold:

    1) Things that happen beyond any character's control: earthquakes, fire, sword breaks.

    2) Choices that the characters make and their motivations, feelings and reasoning for making those choices.

    You've got the characters, you have events that happen to them and choices that they've made. Are you confused about why they are making the choices they do? It sounds like a character problem.

  10. #10
    Edited for submission Holbrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In the Shire
    Posts
    4,335
    Blog Entries
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by kmtolan View Post
    No elves.
    No wizards.
    No vampires.
    No werewolves.

    The result of this might be something original.

    Kerry
    Kerry, having had a two hour telephone conversation with my agent last night, after he had spent last week at London book fair, "original" is not selling at the moment. Strangely the industy has gone very conservative in this period of recession. They want what is "safe" what they know sells, and sells well, escapist fantasy!

    That is trolls, goblins, fairies, elves, wizards, dragons, and in parnormal fantasy (Romance or otherwise) VAMPIRES and WEREWOLVES! Despite the rumour that such are fading away, the industry are buying as much as the can at present and the sales in the books stores are still rising. One of the few growth areas in the business. Ok, they are looking for twists and turns, but the above are still selling.

    Besides, if you are writing for your self, put whatever you want in, and see what happens!

  11. #11
    Producer/Screenwriter worldmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    92

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Well, the reasons things happen in the book are two-fold:

    1) Things that happen beyond any character's control: earthquakes, fire, sword breaks.
    Not if you've got an elf by your side with a magic sword - they never break.
    And a wizard to wave his wand around and prevent any of these pesky earthquakes.
    And of course everyone's favourite friend - a fire-fighting fairy, they hate anything messing with their forests!


  12. #12
    I've been thinking about this seriously for awhile now...This world is crazy. We have wars, swine flu, somali pirates, internet pirates, global warming, etc.

    The only solution I can think of, would be to send in the innocent farm boy. I don't mean an army of them, I just mean one. We could kill his parents, and tell them a great magical force known as the swine flu did it. Innocent farm boy would then seek out the source of this disease like a surgical strike cruise missile. I've read lots of fantasy novels, I know it works. Innocent Farm boys always hit their target. So in retrospect, not all cliches are bad ideas, and perhaps we should look to their path for a greater way.

  13. #13
    KMTolan kmtolan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Near Austin TX
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Holbrook View Post
    Kerry, having had a two hour telephone conversation with my agent last night, after he had spent last week at London book fair, "original" is not selling at the moment. Strangely the industy has gone very conservative in this period of recession. They want what is "safe" what they know sells, and sells well, escapist fantasy!

    That is trolls, goblins, fairies, elves, wizards, dragons, and in parnormal fantasy (Romance or otherwise) VAMPIRES and WEREWOLVES! Despite the rumour that such are fading away, the industry are buying as much as the can at present and the sales in the books stores are still rising. One of the few growth areas in the business. Ok, they are looking for twists and turns, but the above are still selling.

    Besides, if you are writing for your self, put whatever you want in, and see what happens!
    And folks wonder why the industry is tanking....

    Thanks for the heads-up.

    Kerry

  14. #14
    scene 1: a princess holding a relic of power is being pursued by evil forces. she sends the relic away to some random location (Not smart considering that generally fantasy planets are earth like in that they are 70% water.)

    scene 2: enter nazi poster boy farmer.

    scene 3: While out taking a leak poster boy farmer's entire family is destroyed.

    scene 4: white farm boy meets up with strange old man who lives alone out in dessert but has a strange fondness for young boys.

    scene 5: old pedophile teaches nazi farm boy whatever skills he needs

    scene 6: Nazi and Pedophile rescue princess, pedophile dies in process.

    scene 7: Enter...the rebellion!! Young Nazi goes to war and is the only one capable of finding the enemies G-spot.

    scene 8: Nazi finds the G-spot.

    scene 9: Princess gives Nazi a medal and has a big ceremony to celebrate the Nazi finding the G-spot.

    scene 10: roll the credits and claim it was all original. It's happened before.

  15. #15
    Producer/Screenwriter worldmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    92

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Warzoo View Post
    This world is crazy. We have wars, swine flu, somali pirates, internet pirates, global warming, etc.
    Hmm, but on my world - wars get rid of archaic governments, swine flu kills off the weak, Somali pirates are just misunderstood entrepreneurs wanting to earn a living for their families, internet pirates are just bugs in a computer operating system called Microswift(TM), global warming is a good way to reduce your winter fuel bills.


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •