Hardcover? Paperback? or your pick of digital

More and more I am liking the kindle format for just about anything that I want to read. Now don't get me wrong I will buy a hardcover and get it signed by the author when I go to Con or when he or she is at a bookstore in my area. But Kindle for me is so much handier and readily available! I could go on... But what do the rest of you think?

I personally have Kindle installed on several PCs, Android smartphone and a android tablet. What about you?

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have a Nook that I like. I used to read on my iPhone via both the Kindle and Nook apps, but now I just convert everything to epub and put on my Nook. I like it. Someday, I might get a Kindle so I don't have to do the conversion thing.

I do like the real-thing every now and then, but lately I've been noticing how inconvenient they are (for the thick paperbacks, won't stay open unless I have a death gripe on 'em, etc).

Same here...

I switched to a Kindle only about a year ago, and now I love the thing. I miss seeing those colour covers and the smell of paper and ink, but I don't miss being caught without a book because I finished my current one (I usually have half a dozen books to read + dozens of samples on my Kindle at any time), I don't miss having a third of my suitcase taken up by books to read on vacation, I don't miss... yep... having to break a paperback's spine to read the words in the center or holding up a heavy hardcover.

I still buy some physical copies - Kindle doesn't do those bottom-of-the-page notations very well at all, so I tend to buy my science texts in paperback/hardcover for easier reading. I do buy hardcovers for series I know I like and would like to keep. Kindle has cut way down on misc books around the house so I am not constantly trying to beg my husband to allow me to squeeze in "one more bookcase".

I'm a little old fashioned -- OK, a lot old fashioned. I still prefer printed books over eBooks. Hardcovers if I can afford them! Actually, I think it's because I prefer short story collections and anthologies. I tend to have several on the go at one time and I like to flick to and fro, selecting stories at random. I find this impossible to do on an eReader.

My number 1 preference is a hardcover. They just feel better in my hand. (but they're expensive, obviously.)

I do eBook for most of the self-published stuff I read.

I get most of my books from the library, so I read primarily physical books.

Ebooks these days for me, but it also has to do with my potential move this year, so I unfortunately have to 1) stop buying so many books, and 2) get rid of the stuff I don't read anymore. :| Ebooks still allow me to get my fix without cluttering my already small flat. (I don't have a Kindle, I use a Nexus 7 tablet, with the Kindle, Nook and Aldiko apps. This covers roughly everything I may buy.)

I got myself a Kindle a couple of years ago and now I barely buy print books anymore. I don't mind a hardback, but paperbacks do my head in. I hate having to contort my hands so that I can keep the damn thing open on the current page.

For reading, I prefer paperback.
    For publishing, well.
    Igor

Quote Originally Posted by Yzabel View Post
    Ebooks these days for me, but it also has to do with my potential move this year, so I unfortunately have to 1) stop buying so many books, and 2) get rid of the stuff I don't read anymore. :| Ebooks still allow me to get my fix without cluttering my already small flat. (I don't have a Kindle, I use a Nexus 7 tablet, with the Kindle, Nook and Aldiko apps. This covers roughly everything I may buy.)
    Ditto the Nexus 7 and Kindle app. Also have the kindle app on my mobile(s) personal and work and on a few computers scattered about.

I wil always prefer paper back books./

So many people talk about how they love the feel of physical books, but for me it's the other way around. I just love the textured rubber feel of holding a Kindle. I read a lot of sci-fi, so it just feels right. Plus the mindblowing convenience of having an entire library in a 3oz device...

Reading from a screen makes my eyes buggy and cause pretty bad headaches ever after just a short time. Plus I just love the feel of a book in my hands. I'm old fashion *shrugs*