Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What are your favorite Sci Fi concepts?

What are you favorite SciFi concepts? Aliens? Future? Space? Time Travel? I will have to go with time travel. I've always been infatuated with time and always found myself most interested in books/movies on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by JebStryke View Post
    What are you favorite SciFi concepts?
    I always loved a good post-apocalypse situation! How long will car tyres stay inflated?, etc. Cf: Canticle for Leibowtz, Earth Abides, Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Anything with augmented humans, Neil Asher style preferably, although I don't mind a bit of cyberpunk. However, sometimes it's the concepts or twists that catch you by surprise in a short story that are the best. Read 'Odd Attachment' by Iain M Banks and see what I mean.
    Last edited by Chuffalump; May 22nd, 2009 at 04:17 AM.

Off Topic and Unrepentant

I agree with Ropie

Quote Originally Posted by Ropie View Post
    I always loved a good post-apocalypse situation! How long will car tyres stay inflated?, etc. Cf: Canticle for Leibowtz, Earth Abides, Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang
    I love the post-apocalyptic storylines. Whether it's The Road or The Road Warrior, 28 Days Later or Day of the Triffids, you cast a bunch of characters into that landscape, and you're ripe for some excellent storytelling. I like the idea that flint-napping is the most important skill you could have.

Rogue Warrior
    For me, It would have to be cyberpunk & space opera.

I've always liked the idea of a galaxy-spanning federation, with a wide variety of planets and species comprising it. It's a sort of hopeful idea that not only will humanity survive, but that we're not alone out there, and that those other races would want to cooperate with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    For me, It would have to be cyberpunk & space opera.
    cyberpunk and space opera? examples?

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JebStryke View Post
    cyberpunk and space opera? examples?

Haha! Man, I'm on my first two scifi books right now. Altered Carbon & January Dancer. I think Deaths Head is up next, then I'm wanting to tackle The Night's Dawn Trilogy, anyways that's my plan.

The interactions of individuals, cultures and technology.

Sci-fi got across to me that physics is the same everywhere for everybody and it works the same way no matter what people think. There could be green aliens with purple polka dots on the other side of the galaxy manufacturing microprocessors from silicon at this very moment. The silicon atoms work the same way. It is extremely improbable that they will use the Intel instruction set however. All sentient beings are stuck with the same physics.

But people still must decide what to do or not do with the technology and deal with the results of unforeseen consequences. I was just checking out some Netbooks two days ago. What can those things do to or for society? I think some people are lying about them already. The benchmark I ran showed they were more powerful than the impression I would get from what people are saying.

It is what science fiction says about possibilities with technology in the real world that really matters.

The Fun They Had

Kids can carry these netbooks around. How many books fit in 160 GB?

psik
    Last edited by psikeyhackr; May 23rd, 2009 at 11:21 AM.

For myself Apocalyptic and time travel. So many possibilities with either one.

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by kansasbarbarian View Post
    For myself Apocalyptic and time travel. So many possibilities with either one.

Alright man. Favorites?

Apocalyptic are:
    The Stand by Stephen King
    The Warlord seies by Jason Frost
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon
    The Last Ranger series by Craig Sargeant
    The Fall of New York By Miles Donis ( I might have name backwards i am at work now)

Time Travel:
    Timeline by Michael Chricton
    The Blade series this is really interdiminesional and time travel can' remember author right now
    Lightning by Dean Koontz
    This is just off the top of my head.

This is something that's also in fantasy, but I really like seeing how another culture or species grows and deals with the environment on their planet, what the people value most and what kind of traditions they have.

Specifically I'm thinking of Dune and the Fremen on Arrakis. That really impressed me. I started thinking how I should conserve water it affected me so much.

Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    The interactions of individuals, cultures and technology.

Sci-fi got across to me that physics is the same everywhere for everybody and it works the same way no matter what people think. There could be green aliens with purple polka dots on the other side of the galaxy manufacturing microprocessors from silicon at this very moment. The silicon atoms work the same way. It is extremely improbable that they will use the Intel instruction set however. All sentient beings are stuck with the same physics.

psik
    You mean we won't be able to upload a virus from our Mac laptop into the alien system and take over their computers? Darn.

Well those aliens had better conform to the 802.11G and W3C internet standards or else don't bother with continued computer development because we will not accept them as sentients.

I like the whole alien invasion concept, especially if they wrote novels like the movie Independance Day