Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I finished the three books in the Trade Pact trilogy and enjoyed them. These are more in the rousing adventure mold than serious, heavy hitting SF. I really liked Czerneda's sense of humor which shines through in these (the alien creatures, the Drapsk, in particular, are a hoot). I think those who read and enjoyed Trade Pact would like Stratification. I'm now looking forward to Czerneda's follow-up to Trade Pact which will be called Reunification (not sure if it will be a duology or a trilogy). Czerneda states in her author's note to the last book of Stratfication, "you ain't seen nothing yet," so she must have great plans for the series going forward. Reunification will take up some time after Trade Pact leaves off, continuing the story of Jason and Sira (or that's my understanding).

She's a really good writer, I've read most of her books. Interesting characters, good stories.

Fitz, In the Company of Others is not so much about the Quill, more about what can happen when you bring foreign animals into a new environment; think Dutch Elm disease, or the Rabbit Fence in Australia. Or man to distant alien worlds.

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Expendable View Post
    She's a really good writer, I've read most of her books. Interesting characters, good stories.

Fitz, In the Company of Others is not so much about the Quill, more about what can happen when you bring foreign animals into a new environment; think Dutch Elm disease, or the Rabbit Fence in Australia. Or man to distant alien worlds.
    If it wasn't about the Quill it wouldn't have been SF, it would have been a book about rabbits or toads in Australia. It is about the Quill, who didn't really ruin the local environment, they killed humans. It's more about how totally alien and impossible to understand aliens can be.
    And good thing too, because if it was about rabbits in Australia, it would have been even more boring.
    Last edited by FitzChivalry; August 9th, 2009 at 01:28 AM.

I've read her Species Imperative trilogy. I found it very interesting. Her background in biology provides a unique take on SF. Perhaps in the vein of Speaker For the Dead- providing a detailed biological backdrop for a species is fairly uncommon in my SF reading experience.

Earthman1
    I have read A Thousand Word for Stranger (yeah, great title). It's okay, but I found the ending to be a bit disappointing. Not particularly memorable, and a bit 'Mills and Boonish'.