Help Me Pick from Amazon Wishlist

I've been sorting through Amazon and adding books that appeal to me to my Wishlist. I just finished Brent Weeks new book and need some help picking my next book/series. I typically read epic and/or grimdark and have the list below flagged:

The Fifth Vertex (The Sigilord Chronicles Book 1) by Kevin Hoffman
    Circle of Reign (Dying Lands Chronicle Book 1) by Jacob Cooper
    The Mirror Empire: Worldbreaker Saga 1 by Kameron Hurley
    Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen) by John Gwynne
    Sourge of the Betrayer (Bloodsounder's Arc) by Jeff Salyards
    Seven Forges by James A. Moore
    A Shadow in Summer (Long Price Quartet) by Daniel Abraham
    A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan
    The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley
    Twilight Falling: The Erevis Cale Trilogy Book 1 by Paul S. Kenp
    The Steel Remains by Richard K. Morgon
    The Darkness that Comes Before (Prince of Nothing) by r. Scott Bakker
    The Iron Wolves: Book 1 Rage of Kings by Andy Remic

Any thoughts or experiences?

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    I've only read a few books on your list, so here goes:
    The Darkness that Comes Before: Some of the finest prose in recent epic fantasy. Dense with philosophy and world building. A protagonist unlike any I've ever read. For me, this was a hard book to read because the world and characters are almost unrelentingly bleak. I really respect and admire what Scott did with this book and series, but it won't be for everyone. And, yes, it is definitely grimdark.

Malice: Strong debut novel. Very fun read. I would categorize this more as traditional epic fantasy, and while all epic fantasies have something grim and dark to them, is this one grimdark like Game of Thrones? I didn't see it.

A Shadow in Summer Definitely not grimdark. This is epic fantasy with fantastic writing, wonderful plotting, and strong characters. I loved this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigchipper View Post

Daniel Abraham and Richard Morgon are both on my to read list. And I did a lot of research before putting them there!

R. Scott Bakker's Prince of nothing is one of the best fantasy series out there. Let me make this easier on you and give you my full recommendation schpeel. (And I almost exclusively like grimdark. KatG can confirm!)

Recommendations

• First Law Trilogy - Joe Abercrombie
      My favorite to date. Imagine the incredible hulk was a barbarian and someone wrote an amazing story about his life. Logen Ninefingers hulks out to become the Bloody Nine. Itís just a great story with great characters. Gritty Antiheroes.

• Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson
      Classic must read fantasy. Books 1-5 are some of the best. 6-11 suffer, but are still good. They catch a lot of flak because they donít live up to the standard set by the previous 5. Sanderson masterfully finishes this series.

• Song of Ice and Fire - George RR Martin
      Most popular title since LOTR. Well deserved too. I wish he would finish already! But, what we have is some of the best fantasy ever written.

• Rift War Saga - Raymond E Feist
      Another great classic. Though I feel this one may not hold up that well to the test of time. Most read it first or when they were younger and loved it. Unsure if you would still continue to love it. It was one of my first reads in fantasy and quickly became a favorite. Read at least the first book(Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master), and finish the Saga. Nobody would fault you to stop there.

• Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson
      Some of the most epic fantasy writing you will read. The scope is masterful, near genius level. The characters are larger than life. One of the deepest, darkest, most confusing (in a good way) series you can read. Nobody should call themselves a fantasy reader if they havenít at least read book 1 and 2. If you still donít like it after book2, I wouldnít fault you for stopping.

• King Killer Chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss
      One of the best and most popular new up and coming writers. Only 2 books have been finished, but itís worth the read.

• Prince of Nothing - R. Scott Bakker
      Another dark, deep, philosophical reads similar to Malazan. But thatís pretty much where it ends. This is not nearly as confusing. Plot lines are linear. Itís a great series. It is part of the series ďThe Second ApocalypseĒ. And another trilogy ďAspect-EmperorĒ follows this one.

• Acts of Caine - Mathew Stover
      Great read. The first book, Heroes Die, is probably the best single book Iíve read. Unfortunately the rest donít quit live up, but they are still as good. One issue is that each book(4book series) feels completely different than the last. A total different style. It works though, and is worth your time.

• Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks
    • Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson
      I am going to package these both together. Action packed, light, fun read. Nothing too crazy with plots, prose, or intellectual writing. Just a fun light action packed read. Both are introductions to 2 of the best new authors in the genre!
    Last edited by chris777; September 8th, 2014 at 05:02 PM.

Frankly, I'm honored my book was on the list with so many greats. If you do choose to give Circle of Reign a shot, I'd love to hear about it. There's another thread on it here: http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showt...ircle-of-Reign

I'm currently getting through The Blade Itself and The Passage (yet again). Oh, and the Emperor's Blades.

I've been sorting through Amazon and adding books that appeal to me to my Wishlist. I just finished Brent Weeks new book and need some help picking my next book/series. I typically read epic and/or grimdark and have the list below flagged:

The Fifth Vertex (The Sigilord Chronicles Book 1) by Kevin Hoffman
    Circle of Reign (Dying Lands Chronicle Book 1) by Jacob Cooper
    The Mirror Empire: Worldbreaker Saga 1 by Kameron Hurley
    Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen) by John Gwynne
    Sourge of the Betrayer (Bloodsounder's Arc) by Jeff Salyards
    Seven Forges by James A. Moore
    A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan
    The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley
    Twilight Falling: The Erevis Cale Trilogy Book 1 by Paul S. Kenp

In addition to the recommendations from previous posters...... I really liked Circle of Reign.

Thanks to those who replied. I ended up starting the Prince of Nothing series, as I've always wanted to give it a go. So far, so good. Chris777...thanks for your contribution and effort! I've read all of those you listed except the Malazan series. I'm still stepping to the end of the diving board on that one. Jacob, I have you next in my queue...look forward to it.

Thanks to those who replied. I ended up starting the Prince of Nothing series, as I've always wanted to give it a go. So far, so good. Chris777...thanks for your contribution and effort! I've read all of those you listed except the Malazan series. I'm still stepping to the end of the diving board on that one. Jacob, I have you next in my queue...look forward to it.
    Good choice! And glad to hear that you've read all those already. Please come back and let us know what you thought of PoN!

A few more quick recs I can throw your way: (if you havent read them)

Chronicles of the Black Company - Glen Cook
    Riyria Revelations - Michael J Sullvan
    Broken Empire - Mark Lawrence.
    Dark Tower - Stephen King

I have only read the first Kell book by Remic. I liked it although Remcic does not try to hide his passion for Gemmell/Druss.

If you got through the 30 page prologue, which I found nearly unreadable, I think its a safe bet you'll enjoy the novel. Its not a favorite of mine because the characters are so unlikeable and I found the race of master manipulators fairly dumb, but its definitely well written epic fantasy in the classic style. I do like the premise of a school of sorcerers with visions of the long forgotten past as the only watchdogs against an ancient evil.

I actually own the second book and have been thinking about going back to it. Cant remember exactly why or where I stalled out, so i'll probably start the second book from the beginning.

Let us know how it goes. I personally couldn't finish it, pretty much hated all the characters and it seemed so self important. Got maybe halfway through. From your list I would have picked Richard Morgan, I have only read one book by him I didn't like.

So, I started the Bakker books and ended up finishing all 5. I really enjoyed them and cannot wait for the next in the series.

Jacob, I followed up the Bakker books by reading Circle of Reign. I was pleasantly surprised at the depth of the story telling and the action. I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading the next installment. This was one of the better self-published books I've read in a while.

Now, I'm reading Bennett's City of Stairs. Again, this is a great book and should be finished later today. This isn't traditional fantasy, but it's very well done and reads like a murder mystery with Gods and technology.
    Last edited by Bigchipper; December 1st, 2014 at 12:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    So, I started the Bakker books and ended up finishing all 5. I really enjoyed them and cannot wait for the next in the series.
    Awesome. Bakker is a master and I am also anticipating the next one. I think a series reread is in order...

Jacob, I followed up the Bakker books by reading Circle of Reign. I was pleasantly surprised at the depth of the story telling and the action. I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading the next installment. This was one of the better self-published books I've read in a while.
    So glad you took a chance on it and even more that you enjoyed it. If you feel like leaving a review on Amazon and/or goodreads, I'd be grateful...but only if you feel inclined.

Altar of Influence is out, the prequel to the whole series. Good dose of Thannuel and Antious.