Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Black Rimmersman

Best "humorous" fantasy?

While it is not a genre I usually go for, once in a while the lighter, joking, side of fantasy is nice to juxtapose the somber, melodramatic, epics. What are your favorites?

The best I have read was a book called "Villains by Necessity" I can't recall the author but it was a Tor paperback (which soon disintegrated as all Tor paperbacks usually do *grrrr*). The premise was a world in which good always triumphed over evil -- to the point were the world was devoid of villains/evil. So, a bunch of ragtag heroes banded together and became villains to set things strait. The ribbing humor poking at the formula of fantasy was great. I wish I still had this book… it is no longer in print and I have not seen it used (curse you Tor!)

"Songs from the Seashell Archives" by Elizabeth Scarborough and "Blue Moon Rising" by Simon Green were some of my favs in this genre when I was younger, but I have not read them for 5-10 years so I cannot vouch for them anymore. L. Sprague de Camp (sp.) was another I enjoyed all those years ago...

Regards,
    Joe

Humorous fantasy has one big problem for me : most of
    the time I think it's not funny at all. I can barely enjoy
    Pratchett and can't stand Douglas Adams.
    Some books I enjoyed were :

-Reluctant King & Compleat Enchanter by Sprague de
    Camp
    -Dragon & George by Gordon Dickson
    -Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
    -Summon the Keeper by Tanya Huff
    -Fisher & Hawk novels by Simon Green
    -Stainless Steel Rat novels by Harry Harrison
    -Dancers from the End of Time by Moorcock

My favorite humorous novel is probably To Say Nothing
    of the Dog by Connie Willis. SF, not fantasy but great fun.

Don't forget a "Bad Spell in Yurt"

Asprin and Pratchett

A really funny series for me has been Robert Asprin's M.Y.T.H series. A wizard trying to put a scare into his apprentice summons a demon - only to get attacked by an assassin sent by an old enemy during the summoning. The wizard manages to kill the assassin, but not before the assassin shoots him with his crossbow.

Leaving the apprentice to have to deal with the demon his master summoned....

I also love the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. I love Rincewind, Carrot, Riddicully, Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, Commander Vimes, Gaspode, the Patrician, the Librarian and especially Death. I can't wait to read the next one.

Humorous fantasy is one of my favorite things about the genre. I love the stuff.

"The Misenchanted Sword" by Lawrence Watt Evans
    Any of the Garrent Files Series by Glen Cook, for instance "Petty Pewter Gods."
    Discworld novels, of course
    "The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump" by Harry Turtledove is one of the single funniest things I've ever read.
    If you enjoy Hitchhiker's Guide-type humor, "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman is fantastic.
    And I'm thinking of the Ebenezum books, but I can't remember the titles or author. Sound familiar to anyone?

George RR Martin and Steven Erikson are both awesome at humor in their books, Martin's comes through mostly in Tyrion, and Erikson's is dialogue and character thoughts, especially love the parts in Deadhouse Gates where Duiker is conversing with Coltaine and Bult, Wickan humor is awesome.

Registered as What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Archren
    And I'm thinking of the Ebenezum books, but I can't remember the titles or author. Sound familiar to anyone?
    Craig Shaw Gardner wrote The Eternal Apprentice series, plus several short stories starring Wunt and Ebenezum.

I love Mammoth Books collection of comedic fantasy. I've got book two that has several authors that I didn't even think of being humorous, like Gene Wolfe, Harlan Ellison or James P Hogan.

Gardner, that's it. Thanks for coming up with that, I was completely blanking.

About a month ago I finished Peter David's Sir Apropos of Nothing.

The protagonist is sardonic, rarely heroic, interrupts a prophetic scene to fulfill the prophecy himself, has a club foot, and is likeable codger. David does a great job of playing on the tropes/cliches of fantasy. Can't recommend this one enough and I had an absolute ball reading it.

Registered as What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    About a month ago I finished Peter David's Sir Apropos of Nothing.

The protagonist is sardonic, rarely heroic, interrupts a prophetic scene to fulfill the prophecy himself, has a club foot, and is likeable codger. David does a great job of playing on the tropes/cliches of fantasy. Can't recommend this one enough and I had an absolute ball reading it.
    Though I enjoyed the satire and all, I did find the character, Apropos, to be a bit on the whiney side. Yes, I know that is part of his character, but it didf set my teeth on edge.

But I liked David's Howling Mad much better. It's about of wolf, which gets attacked and bitten by a werewolf. So when the full moon rose, the wolf turned into a man. Quite a charming and funny take on the whole horror genre.

Funny, I didn't see Apropos as whiny, maybe a bit cranky. I do plan on reading the subsequent Apropos novels.

Isn't Howling Mad out of print?

Not sure if I want to try his Arthurian humor Knight Life, only because I'm a bit tired of the Arthurian them. Any thoughts?

Registered as What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    Funny, I didn't see Apropos as whiny, maybe a bit cranky. I do plan on reading the subsequent Apropos novels.

Isn't Howling Mad out of print?

Not sure if I want to try his Arthurian humor Knight Life, only because I'm a bit tired of the Arthurian them. Any thoughts?
    I think that you are right about Howling Mad . I got it at Borders Books about four years ago and haven't seen it in any store afterwards.

Knight Life seems to be in the same vein as Howling, humorous, yet serious, a Dramedy, if you will. I saw at Borders, but with so much at home to read, I just couldn't pick it up. But it did sound interesting and there is suppose to be a sequel to it, too.

I really like Eddings' humorous way of writing, especially in Belgariad and Althalus. I've only read a couple of Terry Pratchett's books so I can't really comment, but I have really enjoyed the ones I've read...

Douglas Adams Hitch Hiker books are some of the funniest books I've read! I love them!

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar

Red face Axe Me about Thraxas?

[Douglas Adams Hitch Hiker books are some of the funniest books I've read! I love them![/QUOTE]

So true ...

Fantasy readers do tend to get overserious about our genre. the best way to get our feets back on the ground (grim everyday reality) is to have a healthy laugh at the "damzel in distress / slay the dragon" or "save the universe from EVIL" idiosyncrasies .

My most recent discovery in this field is Martin Scott, with one of the Thraxas books - lightweight but entertaining Raymond Chandler with a twist.

have fun

Summon the Keeper by Tanya Huff
    The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Both are both very humours and incorporates tension and action