Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Last King of Osten Ard ~ Tad Williams sequel trilogy to Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

I did a search but couldn't find mention of this.

Here's the press release, from April.

While I haven't ready Memory, Sorrow and Thorn since the books came out in 1988-93, I have fond memories of the series--revivified by the plot summaries on Wikipedia--and look forward to this. Here's a key quote from the press release:

In this new trilogy, Williams journeys back to the magical land of Osten Ard and continues the story of beloved characters King Simon and Queen Miriamele, married now for thirty years, and introduces newcomer Prince Morgan, their heir apparent. Also expanded is the story of the twin babies born to Prince Josua and Lady Vorzhevaóa birth heralded by prophecy, which has been the subject of feverish fan speculation since the release of To Green Angel Tower in 1993.

MSaT is the first major fantasy I ever read, back in the mid-90's, and will always have a very special place in my heart. I've also really enjoyed Otherland and Shadowmarch, the latter not quite as much as the former, but Otherland rivalled MSaT for me.

I will definitely read this, but I'm a little bit worried that it make let me down as compared to my fond memories. If it is only as good as Shadowmarch, then I guess that's all I can expect.

Ink-stained Wretch Teresa Edgerton's Avatar
    This is exciting news. I've always liked Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn better than any of his other books or series. Nothing there about when this is supposed to come out. I suppose we can expect three enormous books, so if he has just started the first it will probably be years before we see that one in print. With an author of his stature, "acquire" probably means "we saw a one page outline and then everyone signed a contract."

IIRC, they want to publish the first book in 2015.

For my part, i am glad that Williams returns to OA...BUT...i am not that happy about the story he wants to tell. In the 90ies he always talked about another work set in OA where he wanted to go back, not forward. Telling us more about the history of OA and all that. THAT would have been waaaay cooler than a bog standard sequel. Kind of The Silmarillion for OA.

Oh well...

Sidenote: As i am following Tad on fb, it seems the Silmarillion-thingy for OA is a possibility. I really hope this happens. Too bad it will be many years in the future if it ever will happen.

Anglachel, I for one am not that into prequel series - there's just something off-putting about knowing what is going to happen. A Silmarillion, though, is a different matter.

Well, there is so much we do not know that is only hinted at in M,S&T...and sure, if characters appear in such a prequel that you know will be there later, that can be kind of a suspense killer. But well done prequel stuff avoids that...or at least for most of it (for example the new Kharkanas Trilogy by Erikson is really well done and there is so much new stuff and stuff you never heard of before, that it does not kill my enjoyment that i know that Anomander Rake will not die during the trilogy etc. etc. ).
    On the other hand, Tad was so good in hinting at stuff and making up very interesting lore for his world, that i really want to know all the details. Especially all the Men from the West and the Sithi stuff and also the Sithi vs. Norns stuff ... see...a lot of stuff

Sequels on the other hand...especially sequels like this one seems to be...a kind of "a bit later after the books, let us see what our favourites from the last book will do" is most often not of much interest to me. The only exception is if it is that the story-of-their-life (tm) is not really concluded after the first series (see stuff like Bakker's novels). But in M,S&T it clearly is. I mean, how does he want to top what happened to those folks in M,S&T ... or putting it even more confrontational - it seems more than unrealistic (suspense of disbelief destroying quality) that they will go through an even more ****ed up live event.
    It doesn't help that a lot of sequel stuff i know from other authors i liked, did not live up to the original stuff.

Anyway, i will surely buy the first book...if for nothing else than for nostalgia's sake (and i really hope that it will be for more than that). And hopefully, i will enjoy it so much that i will keep on reading... .

Anglachel, I'm guessing that Simon and Miriamele are going to be secondary characters, with their son, Prince Morgan, and the twins being more primary. Sort of like the next Star Wars movies .

True. I guess i'm just a bit too disappointed atm to be fair to the new series

And i still am not as interested in the offspring of the old Characters as i would be for more info on the background of what we know from the first series. But i know that this is totally IMO and YMMV etc. .

To be honest, because you bring them up, i'd also have liked Old Republic movies (as in the real old times of the republic, not clone wars era) far more than "let us revive Han, Leia and Luke"-stuff. Or, if not that, than jump a bit more into the future. But oh well, better these SW movies than none at all

I'm guessing that a lot more background stuff will be revealed in Last King. Actually, part of the reasons I don't care for prequels is that they often reveal too much. One of my favorite aspects to fantasy is what could be called "deep history" - myths and mysteries of the Elder Days, that sort of thing. When too much is revealed the quality of mystery diminishes, and with it my sense of wonder.

So it is a not too little, not too much kind of thing.

I know exactly what you mean, Alchemist. And i agree, sometimes authors destroy more than they build up if they are not cautious. But, again, if done well, i do think that Tales of Old (TM) can be very cool and an enrichement of the world of the novels. For example, Silmarillion totally rocked....and as i said, the background of the Tiste (at least so far) for Erikson's setting totally blew my mind.
    But again, i know exactly what you're talking about. So it's not as if i don't get what you're saying

And i think you're right that Tad will show us more of the history of OA even if it is not the focus of the next series. Hopefully, he will add a lot

Ink-stained Wretch Teresa Edgerton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglachel View Post
    I mean, how does he want to top what happened to those folks in M,S&T ... or putting it even more confrontational - it seems more than unrealistic (suspense of disbelief destroying quality) that they will go through an even more ****ed up live event.
    The title, though, does seem to promise some pretty catastrophic life experiences for someone.

As for realistic, in our own world the young people who went through World War I never envisioned that their children would have to face anything as terrible as World War II. Things can fall apart on a large scale and terrible, terrible things can happen in a single generation. If here, why not in Osten Ard? Or even, one might say, it would be even more likely in Osten Ard, with all the inhuman races who have their own agendas, just to add to all the political and religious tensions likely to develop among humans.

While i get what you are trying to say, Teresa, i don't think that local (mortal) warfare is the same as supernatural world-ending menaces. Sure, on our world those wars were called World-Wars, but this was in no small part hubris on the side of us europeans and americans (and i guess, as far as science can tell, we do not have the possibility to have a supernatural apocalypse...thank god ). Anyway, i don't want to split hairs with you on that topic. For me, a fantasy world where every generation we have a world-ending threat appear is not what i'd call "realistic" (note the " " around the word realistic ).
    If Tad writes about a big fat war between mortal races (without undead kings and prophecies etc), ok, fair enough. But another, most probably even worse, supernatural disaster? Nah, not for me. As always, imo and ymmv.
    Last edited by Anglachel; June 29th, 2014 at 06:34 AM.

Thumbs up Speculation....

I haven't logged onto this site in 300 years... well, itís been a long while. I return now because I'm bursting at the seams to speculate on this upcoming trilogy. When it was first announced in April, I was going through some personal crap and so I didn't really stop to think about what it meant. Now that I'm in a more natural space, the reality of this upcoming trilogy is hitting me. I LOVE MST like a crazy person. I have since started a re-read because of this news and the thought of what could take place makes me react almost physiologically. I love Williams; I trust him... but for years I already had in mind what the next 30 years held for Osten Ard and now my truth will be turned upside down.

I'm not a fan of fan fiction. I really can't stand it - that puts me in a minority, I know. But MST is the only book where I actually attempted a paragraph before my natural opinion on fan fiction made me delete said file and just create the narrative in my mind.

Whatever, the case... anyone open to speculate? If this is the wrong thread for that, I apologize but I couldnít see any other.

Here's what I think based on the titles and what info has been released thus far. If you have kept yourself Spoiler Free thus far.... then I guess read no further - though it's really not spoilerific based on a press release and one interview....

I'm not sure what crazy event throws Osten Ard into a tither again (and I do wish it could have been left in peace), but I DO think that it results in the Sithi and Norns reuniting (probably symbolized by Jiriki - my all-time favorite character - marrying the young Norn girl character) and having them make peace with the Dwarrows/Niskies/ Navigator's Children who take them back across the sea or even further Westward. Thus the Last King of Osten Ard is Jiriki. The Sithi kings were kings of Osten Ard, after all. So the last one leaves Osten Ard for the mortals and sets out for another land. If I'm right, this is just heartbreaking to me and more than I can bear - I sound mad, I know....

Obviously, we'll have action with Morgan and Derra and Deornoth. I hate Rimmersman - as a Sithi sympathiser. That just came to my mind for no reason at all and I just thought to write it here.

Anyway, speaking of the twins, I feel Deornoth will be Camaris Pt. 2. And I secretly used to wish that Derra would grow into this striking beauty (due to her mother and her grand-mother - a Hernystir Queen - The Rose or whatever. We know there's Sithi blood in the Hernystir line so she turns out to be some Sithi-looking mortal. And her grandfather Camaris obviously had a "mingling" with Amerasu... ) Anyway, so she is feisty like her mom and yet bookish like her dad and becomes a League of the Scroll member. We need a woman in the league who isnít your stereotypical old or creepy. Anyway, so through her momís friendship with Aditu, she is close to the Sithi and she and Jiriki fall in love to the mortification of Norns and most mortals. But in the end, that somehow brings Osten Ards' mortals to accept the Sithi again - so they no longer have to hide in their forest home. But of course, she would grow old and die and well... he wouldnít and that's that. Anyway, that was the mad meandering in my head for years before Tadís announcement came with it's titles and press release and interviews...

Now it's all just speculation. It's going to be interesting that the last book could possibly hit around the time I'm the same age as Simon and Miriamele are supposed to be. I look forward to a mature Simon. Miri was always my least favorite character. Hopefully, she's grown up. I MUCH preferred and adored Aditu, Vorzheva, and Maegwin.

Anyway, sorry for my stream-of-consciousness vomit here... I have just been losing my mind speculating to myself as none of my friends read this type of genre...

EDIT - My first post in years and years and when I hit SUBMIT I see my avatar is Jiriki.... some things don't change.... let's hope it's that way with these books....

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    thank you for your post. It helped me realize how much I want to re-read the original trilogy.
    I'm not yet ready with an answer to your speculations, onyl wanted to say I hope thesequel will not be delayed.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ... And good to see you back, Crysania!
    Mark