Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Recommend something for me and my wife!

Well as the title suggests this is mainly for her. But something I would like too. I have a thread below this one about my "TO READ" list. But that's just for me...and my wife has looked at this list and is not really interested in anything.

I would LOVE for her to read something like MALAZAN or FIRST LAW. Give her some BLOODY NINE action. But unfortunately...she won't!

She likes Harry Potter. LOVES Harry Potter. But doesn't have desire to read any other fantasy. She LOVES James Patterson, Jefferey Deaver, Marian Keys, Jodi Picoult. She isn't a huge fan of fantasy and fighting and magic. She liked the relationship parts of Harry Potter, not the magic. An author with confusing plot lines like Steven Erikson probably wouldn't work well either.

I love fantasy. I've been reading hardcore for the past 6years, and can't fathom reading anything but fantasy at this point. Sci-Fi I could do pretty easy. I love the magic, the fighting, the action. I don't mind the relationship parts, but there has to be action.

We are at this moment reading Earth Sea. We both feel like the story telling feel you get is very off putting. It's an odd writing style. We will definitely finish book1, but it's up in the air on whether we start 2 or not.

We have both read The Warded Man. I read Desert Spear. She keeps putting it off. She liked Warded Man, but would probably be fine to never read Desert Spear.

These are the only two we've read together. I don't feel like either was a good choice. I'm hoping there's a book series or something out there for both of us to enjoy together. Maybe a story I would like written by authors similar to the ones above.
    Last edited by chris777; December 27th, 2011 at 04:08 PM.

Well, she might like Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern books, but I don't know if you would. She also might like Deerskin by Robin McKinley, but again, I don't know if you would.

What about trying The Sheepfarmer's Daughter by Elizabeth Moon? It's the first of a trilogy. It doesn't have romance, but it deals with relationships nonetheless. There's battle, but it's not the gritty style. It's about a young woman joining a mercenary company. It's heroic fantasy, but it delves a bit into the spiritual side.

There's also Carol Berg's Collegia Magica books. The first one being The Spirit Lens. The third and last book comes out in a few days. This series is a blend of fantasy, suspense and mystery novels. They're well liked here on this forum. Berg's been getting a bunch of buzz on here as of late. I highly recommend these books, especially for someone who's lukewarm when it comes to magic.
    Last edited by NickeeCoco; December 27th, 2011 at 11:50 AM.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Loved Harry Potter? Then The Magicians by Lev Grossman is a deeper, more complex, more adult tale that might work.

Mark
    Mark

If she digs the relationship/story telling aspect of fantasy, why not ASOFAI? Lots of folks that dont like fantasy are digging that. My wife really liked it, and she is not a fantasy/magic/violence person either.

I want my wife to read Agent to the Stars next. Just seems like something she might like. If you havent read it, check it out.

I think that if someone really likes something like Harry Potter, but has zero interest in Abercrombie, they're not going to like ASOIAF.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
    If she digs the relationship/story telling aspect of fantasy, why not ASOFAI? Lots of folks that dont like fantasy are digging that. My wife really liked it, and she is not a fantasy/magic/violence person either.

I want my wife to read Agent to the Stars next. Just seems like something she might like. If you havent read it, check it out.
    Oh ya, I forgot to mention ASOIAF. We watch "Game of Thrones" on TV. She loves it(minus the nudity and gore). I'm trying to get her to read the books, but they are massive.

Here's another thing. I need, or want, these books to take off quickly. I made her start both ASOIAF and WoT and she quit during Chapter 1. Mainly because she didn't want to read them in the first place, and was just being nice. But also because these massive series start slow because of the world building.

Quote Originally Posted by NickeeCoco View Post
    I think that if someone really likes something like Harry Potter, but has zero interest in Abercrombie, they're not going to like ASOIAF.
    She won't like the gritty parts of ASOIAF at all. Bloody splitting, nasty, gory details... But the writing itself may be enough to push past that. Specially since she likes the TV show. And is already really drawn to characters like Bran and Jon.

Thanks for the recs so far though. I will look these up and see what she thinks!
    Last edited by chris777; December 27th, 2011 at 12:05 PM.

Really, chris? Starting another recommendation thread?

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    And is already really drawn to characters like Bran and Jon.
    !
    Haha. Well, of course she is. Other than Arya, they're the only other characters to care about. :P (and no, I'm not trolling. Just teasing. Please, no one take this to heart.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Really, chris? Starting another recommendation thread?
    haha. Yes...because it's relevant and not related to the other thread(s).

Quote Originally Posted by NickeeCoco View Post
    Haha. Well, of course she is. Other than Arya, they're the only other characters to care about. :P (and no, I'm not trolling. Just teasing. Please, no one take this to heart.)
    Well those are the "cute" characters you can root for. Any other character is a bit of an anti-hero type. And people who love romance and harry potter probably won't go that direction. =)
    Last edited by chris777; December 27th, 2011 at 12:42 PM.

Or you could...just let your wife read what she wants to.

But, seriously, if she likes romantic fantasy how about these: (and these are recommended for her only).

A series of Arthurian romances. A nice series of stand alone Arthurian romances.

There's also The Roses of Roazon, another stand alone.

She could also try Rosalind Miles, Robin McKinley or even Patricia McKillip.

Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series, starts with The Eyre Affair.

Blog Entries
    Farseer books by Robin Hobb.
    It's YA, but i really think Circle of Magic by Tamora Pierce could work really well.
    Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews.

Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    If she doesn't mind darker stuff, Anne Bishop and Jacqueline Carey can fit.

Other options:
    N.K. Jemisin (she's mostly about various forms of relantionships, IMO).
    Carol Berg
    Bujold (both SF and fantasy stuff)
    Laini Taylor (YA)
    Possibly, Jim Butcher and Ilona Andrews

Have to agree and this pops up alot. Robin Hobb, anything by her is great the relationship and her characters are the best things about her book and would appeal to her.

On the flip side these are some of the fantasy best books ive ever read

Trudi Canavan's Black Magician series, maybe?