I'm the law... Administrator daigoro's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Star Trek Memories A British perspective.

The death of Leonard Nimoy yesterday reminded me of what I liked when I first saw Star Trek. As a tribute, I thought I would try and say how important the series was to me when I was younger. * *——————————————- Some memories stay with you for all of your life, and they can be […]

Read more

Lovely post, Mark. I've always had an appreciation for Star Trek without ever dedicated anytime to watching a lot of it. But even a non-fan like myself felt the impact of Leonard Nimoy's recent passing.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Luke. If nothing else, it's honestly meant. What I was trying to do was place Star Trek in perspective - there really was little like it at that time, something that can be easily forgotten today - even though it's not on TV at the moment, it's easily available. There's been a lot of posts like this around the world today, saying similar things. I just wanted to try and put my own twopennerth out there. Have spent the day watching old episodes, and despite their age and their oh-so-weaknesses, it's been fun.
    Mark

I enjoyed reading these recollections.

Having grown up in the 80s, I was never a big fan of Star Trek. That's mostly because of lack of opportunity, not because I disliked it. It wasn't on TV very often when I was growing up. Besides, I guess that the cheap special effects looked a bit amateurish when compared with more recent SF (like Star Wars). The thing with Star Trek is that even if there was not much money for visual effects, at its best the writing was good and smart SF. I mean, I loved Star Wars, but it had more in common with epic fantasy than with cutting-edge SF. Coming at a time when there was nothing like that, I can understand the profound effect it had on a generation of SF fans.

Spock was also my favorite character, as I suspect was the case for many of the shows' fans since it appealed a lot to, let's face it, geeky people like us

Rest in peace, Leonard Nimoy. When people I associate with memories from my childhood die, I always feel a bit older.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, farseer. I must admit I'm never quite sure if people want to hear these recollections - I'm very aware I could be seen as 'an old fart', rather like the Simpson's grandpa (though I'm not one of those, yet.)

So it is nice to hear that others have liked what I've said. I'm of the opinion that, given the context, the importance of these things should be explained. My other reason for writing this was that I expect the US experience is different to the Brit one - Star Trek seemed to cross the gulf, regardless. Despite all its faults, all rather apparent now, there must have been something in it to make such an impact nearly fifty years ago.

I'm sure I could say similar things about Doctor Who (early version, for me) and possibly others. But on such a sad occasion, pointing out something's value is always a good thing.

M.
    Mark

Great post Mark - I was a kid in the 1970s and grew up on repeats of Star Trek alongside Doctor Who et al. A very sad loss to us all.

Way Too Human
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Thanks, farseer. I must admit I'm never quite sure if people want to hear these recollections - I'm very aware I could be seen as 'an old fart', rather like the Simpson's grandpa (though I'm not one of those, yet.)

So it is nice to hear that others have liked what I've said. I'm of the opinion that, given the context, the importance of these things should be explained. My other reason for writing this was that I expect the US experience is different to the Brit one - Star Trek seemed to cross the gulf, regardless. Despite all its faults, all rather apparent now, there must have been something in it to make such an impact nearly fifty years ago.

I'm sure I could say similar things about Doctor Who (early version, for me) and possibly others. But on such a sad occasion, pointing out something's value is always a good thing.

M.
    Hobbit, this place is like a large kitchen table (or dining room table) where we sit with our cups of coffee and tell our stories. I suppose a pub and a pint would do just as well. I always enjoy listening to other perspectives of the things I like, especially Star Trek since it had a great impact on who I am today.

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Pete and Lazerus.

M.
    Mark