parallel universes

Hey all I'm just getting into reading for leisure, and I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for books about parallel universes (with or without the use of magic) that have really cool, interesting plots. Thanks a lot!

Heroes Die By Matthew Stover. Be warned is rather violent and graphic but that makes it more awesome

Parallel USA

A personal favorite is L. Neil Smith's graphic novel of " The Probability Broach". Originally written in the late 1970's as a SF novel and recently(?) turned into a beautifully and humorously done graphic novel, the story posits a grim secret-police state ruled by President for Life Richard Nixon. The hero, Win Bear, is Ute Indian police detective in Denver investigating the assassination by government agents of a scientist working on a gate into a parallel America. A VERY different America, where things developed along libertarian lines after George Washington was shot as a traitor to the Revolution. Of course our hero is accidentally blown through the gate, and finds himself trying to
    adapt to a society where Denver and the USA as we know it doesn't exist.
    Also recommended - Smith's "Roswell, Texas" which posits an alternate America where the Texans were never absorbed into the USA; and in fact, they and the Nazi-ruled Canadians are hostile powers. Texas is helped by the ruler of the Magic Kingdom, ruled by the Disney royal family in fending off incursions by Nazi Canadians and Americans. Again, Smith's sense of humour is wonderful, with many subtle sight gags in this delightfully-illustrated graphic novel. And did I mention the Aliens at Roswell who are the cause of the kerfuffle?
    Check it all out at BigHeadPress.com ..... and shalom, y'all!

insert witty saying here. justin777's Avatar
    The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny... Absolutely stunning series of books with all the parallel universes you could ever ask for.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    The Fionnavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay : a group of students from Canada are transported to a magical realm where they get involved in an epic battle to save the realm.

The Seventh Sword by Dave Duncan: an engineer wakes up in a fantasy world where he impersonates a master swordsman.

Nevewhere by Neil Gaiman : there;s another world right under our feet, and some people can access it simply by opening doors in various London locations.