Page 47 of 61 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
    Something about this just makes me all happy inside

Thought that this was a nice archaic look.

And here is an awesome cover for the upcoming 4th book of a really good YA series that is relatively unknown.

Although not a cover, I just recently finished a YA book called Mortal Engines and found this fan art. Just holy crap beautiful!

Although the last is great - and the Mortal Engines books are cracking good reads I wouldn't have called it fan art. It's by David Wyatt who is a professional illustrator. http://www.david.wyatt.btinternet.co.uk/. He's worked on other books by Philip Reeves like the Larklight books (which are also rippingly good yarns.)

EDIT: and a quick poke about tells me that that image was used on a hardback reprint of Mortal Engines
    http://all-lit-up-blog.co.uk/wp-cont...al-engines.jpg
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; October 21st, 2012 at 05:51 AM.

bingley bingley beep kissmequick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
    It's by David Wyatt who is a professional illustrator.
    Holy hell, I was at school with him! I still have one of his drawings around here somewhere...Had no doubt he'd become an illustrator though - he was always phenomenal

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I really like that Mortal Engines cover. Similar to the Chris Wooding covers for Ketty Jay. The Monster Hunters International reminds me I need to pick that book up.

Art by Paul Kidby.

Very different images, but both I think effective for their books,

The bear nags me a bit, recalling Coca-Cola commercials, but the cover as a whole I find striking.

I don't think this one would work with color. B&w is perfect and I think fits the subject matter well. (Sorry for the size. I'm not sure how to shrink it down.)

Randy M.

Even the basic image programmes on your PC should be able to resize it, Randy, and some uploading sites (e.g. imageshack) allow you to put size restrictions on your uploads. If you're not sure, I'll be glad to do it all for you (it's no issue, only takes me a moment) in future. Just drop a PM.

And here's the smaller image:

I do like that anthology cover. I think I had it on order but I must have cancelled, but I don't remember doing that. Mustn't have ordered it then. It reminds me somewhat of Mike Mignola's work (particularly the hooded skeleton at the back), and also Guy Davis' stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Even the basic image programmes on your PC should be able to resize it, Randy, and some uploading sites (e.g. imageshack) allow you to put size restrictions on your uploads. If you're not sure, I'll be glad to do it all for you (it's no issue, only takes me a moment) in future. Just drop a PM.
    Thanks, Loerwyn. I don't recall loading images here before, so I was experimenting a bit. I'll play with it some more in future.

[...]
    I do like that anthology cover. I think I had it on order but I must have cancelled, but I don't remember doing that. Mustn't have ordered it then. It reminds me somewhat of Mike Mignola's work (particularly the hooded skeleton at the back), and also Guy Davis' stuff.
    I was also reminded of Mignola's work. I'm not often inspired by that graphic novel illustration on bookcovers, but I find this one striking.

Randy M.

No problem, Randy. If it's any help, the unofficial 'rule' for images is to have them no taller than 600 pixels. Imageshack allows you to restrict an image size to 800x600 when you upload it via their webpage (not via their uploader programme, IIRC), which means it'll resize it for you. Also worth noting that .jpg files are better as they tend to be a smaller file size which means they'll load much quicker. But I'm sure some members won't have a clue what I've just said, so if anyone wants a hand or would rather get someone else to do it for them, then I'll be open to doing that for people.

Although it doesn't quite fit the title, I still really like the cover for "The Daylight War".

February 4th 2013!
    Last edited by nuttz96; December 1st, 2012 at 04:16 AM.

Cthulhu's Red Bucket Lucas Thorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttz96 View Post
    Although it doesn't quite fit the title, I still really like the cover for "The Daylight War".

February 4th 2013!
    that is REALLY nice.

Love this. Simple, striking and ominous.

Quote Originally Posted by nuttz96 View Post

February 4th 2013!
    What has two thumbs and a copy of this book?

This friggin' guy!

I was in a real book shop the other day for the first time in ages and instantly fell in love with the designs on the new Penguin English Library. I wanted them all.

Must... curb... collecting... urge...

A lovely return to the elegant simplicity that makes Penguin special.

The Time Machine cover is still not as good as this cover though which, for sentimental reason alone, is the best ever:

This is my Dad's copy which he probably bought new around 1948. It's the copy in which I first encountered The Morlocks and the Eloi when I was a kid and it's the copy I have just read to my oldest daughter.

See all 100 covers here:
    http://www.penguinenglishlibrary.co.uk/#
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; December 1st, 2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: forgot the URL

Oh, those are quite nice, JM!