Page 34 of 61 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    I don't have a problem with SF covers popping up here; I just think it would be nice for the SF forum too. Lookee, steampunk!

That's on my Amazon wishlist. The cover looks amazing! I've not heard anything about the book itself, though.

From Night Shade Books:

I love those Nightshade re-releases. I'm dying to get my hands on that book too.

Try to go with slightly smaller images when you can, folks. Some people's computers can't handle the large ones.

I know we don't have an official rule or anything, but I try to keep mine no higher than 600 pixels

I do like the covers Cook gets, though.

This is perhaps my favourite cover in a long time. I love the simplistic look, white backgrounds, the translusant threads of colour on monotone. I mean, the book was a bit of a letdown but I love this cover.

This chick looks more like a pixie or a wasp or something, but okay.

I do like the slightly minimalist covers Gollancz have for Sanderson, but I must confess I much prefer the Tor US covers for the series:

I have the boxset with all three. It's purty.

Since we can only say nice things in this thread, the only cover I'll mention from Luya Sevrein's post is the eye-popping awesomeness that is Jon Sullivan's Spring-Heeled Jack cover.

Wha-at? I like simplistic covers.

But yes, Spring-Heeled Jack was too epic.

I do like those covers, too, the US Mistborn ones, but... Nyeh, minimalism. <3

I thought I'd add a new cover to my 'favourites' It's for a book I'm somewhere in the region of 1600-2400 pages away from reading, but I do quite like the Orbit UK cover, which is a bit unusual for me.

It's the cover for book 4 of Tad William's Memory, Sorrow & Thorn, named To Green Angel Tower: Storm (Which I believe is actually part two of book three, but I could be wrong).

Sadly, that's the biggest I could find. I like the lighting effect on it, along with the colours. It's quite simplistic, but interesting to look at. I do think it'd look better without the text floating about over the imagery, but it's still fairly good with it on.

I am not going to say anything rude about what I consider to be a bunch of [something rude snipped here before KatG send over the Brute Squad] covers. But, old fart that I am, I have recently rediscovered the greatness of Penguin's SF covers of the 1960s. I mean if you are going to have cover art on your books why not get some decent artists? Kandinski, Joan Miró, Max Ernst, René Magritte, or, in this case, Picasso:

More here.
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; August 26th, 2011 at 04:42 PM.

Great link, JM.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    It's the cover for book 4 of Tad William's Memory, Sorrow & Thorn, named To Green Angel Tower: Storm (Which I believe is actually part two of book three, but I could be wrong).
    You're right. The trilogy consisted of three books. The mmpb and re-releases have turned To Green Angel Tower into two volumes. I still have the HC originals I bought when the series was released.

I think forty years ago, it was probably easier to handle the permission fees for using Picasso artwork on a bookcover.

The reason I play Brute Squad in this thread is so that there is a place where people can put up a variety of cover art, without hearing whining about it.

So we can have hyperstylized, comics style book covers, like used on Andy Remic's Gemmell-Moorcock type series:

And blurred, color-soaked art like for Jo Walton's Among Others:

Stark graphics like for The Sun, the Moon & the Stars by Stephen Brust:

Tin-type photo effects with partial people like for The Edinburgh Dead by Brian Ruckley:

And images and objects used as framing devices like for Karen Marie Moning's Shadowfever:

Variety. Without whining.