Page 42 of 62 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    Rogue Warrior
    Thanks Kat, I like that Fable cover I think the best.

And last batch:

12) The Unquiet, Jeannine Garsee

13) Transcendence, C.J. Omololu

14) Midsummer Night, Freda Warrington

15) Midnight, Stephen Leather

16) Permeable Borders, Nina Kiriki Hoffman

Last edited by Dogman'sBladder; June 3rd, 2012 at 09:05 PM.

Raymond Swanland is probably my favorite cover artist, but he's already been mentioned so many times in this thread.

I also really like this cover by Steve Stone...so ominous:

Last edited by Hobbit; June 9th, 2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Picture added, rather than link.

What do you guys think of covers with people on? Actual people, like, photographs for example. I'm not sure I like them, makes it feel too... Iuno. Real, one interpritation-y, tacky. Though some of them do cool things, like the Unquiet cover up there.

I know this is meant to be praise only but the topic seemed rather small to sstart up a new thread about.

I think it can work, but it's quite hard. I like this one

I spent months looking for that cover, and I have it.

Generally I find 'photo' covers to be absolutely terrible, but some can be done right. I much prefer the work of a good artist (Chan, Komarck, Dos Santos, Swanland, etc.), though.

I think due to fantasy's otherworldly nature an actual photograph just feels odd somehow. Under the Dome benefits from being grounded in our world.

No, it's not that, I think it's just fantasy attracts people who don't understand how proportions and posing should work, hence why Urban Fantasy covers are so anatomically broken and why most photo covers - shadowy figure or otherwise - tend to look a bit pants.

King's publishers can afford to spend a bit extra on a really, really decent photographer and editor. Ace/Roc, Del Rey/Spectra, Gollancz, Tor UK, etc. largely cannot - or not to the same extent.

Does a good photographer really cost much more than a good artist?

You have the model to pay for, the costuming, the post-production of the photograph and so forth.

The artists use models too. In costumes. That's how we got Fabio. And sometimes the artists are using picture models with computer graphics. I think that's where some of the off proportions sometimes come in, in the blend. King's Under the Dome is one of his SF horror novels, so a photo was a possibility. There have been some good photo fantasy ones, but there is such a long tradition of fantasy cover art, I think people are less receptive. But I like for instance Jo Walton's Among Others cover that we've had up in the thread previously.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    The artists use models too. In costumes. That's how we got Fabio. And sometimes the artists are using picture models with computer graphics. I think that's where some of the off proportions sometimes come in, in the blend. King's Under the Dome is one of his SF horror novels, so a photo was a possibility. There have been some good photo fantasy ones, but there is such a long tradition of fantasy cover art, I think people are less receptive. But I like for instance Jo Walton's Among Others cover that we've had up in the thread previously.
    Speaking of computer-manipulated photo covers, I like the photoshopped cover for The Heroes -- though I'm not a fan of the matching cover for Best Served Cold. Photos can indeed be put to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    Speaking of computer-manipulated photo covers, I like the photoshopped cover for The Heroes -- though I'm not a fan of the matching cover for Best Served Cold. Photos can indeed be put to good use.
    Can I see those? I'm not sure which ones you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    I think due to fantasy's otherworldly nature an actual photograph just feels odd somehow.
    Agreed. Fantasy is supposed to be an escape from reality, and the juxtaposition of an invented/magical world with an actual photo on the cover doesn't work for me. Of course, this MIGHT work with some urban fantasy, but that's the limit.