Page 44 of 61 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
    I've always liked the covers on Charles De Lint's books. Two of my favs are:

Lumley's Necroscope series was definitely eye-catching.

And of course, Whitechapel Gods.

Last edited by Hobbit; July 3rd, 2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Links converted to images. Corrected link (I think!)

Rogue Warrior
    How about this new de Lint? I couldn't figure how to do the damn html crap, so heres the link.
    http://www.graemesfantasybookreview....ke-leaves.html

Last edited by Hobbit; July 5th, 2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Picture added.

God damn! I'd buy this in an instant if I saw it in the flesh. Would have done even before I saw who had written it.

Whip wielding Nazi leprechauns. Genius!
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; July 9th, 2012 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
    God damn! I'd buy this in an instant if I saw it in the flesh. Would have done even before I saw who had written it.

Whip wielding Nazi leprechauns. Genius!
    It's in stock on Amazon! (only 1 left! although it's got a different cover)

Rogue Warrior
    Nazi Leprechauns! Dont touch their Lucky Charms!

That is a most excellent vintage cover. And a handy novel to know. I've been very behind and only now able to "go hunting." Here's some newer covers I'm liking -- hopefully I am not repeating:

I liked the cover for Erin Hoffman's first series novel Sword of Fire and Sea because it had a gryphon in it. This is the second in the Chaos Knight series, Lance of Earth and Sky, and I think I like it even better because I just really love that dragon's head and I like the lines of it:

A good example of what can be done with photographic covers is the one for Fair Coin by E.C. Myers, a dark fantasy novel from Pyr, whose covers I often like:

Zombies! These ones for Madelaine Roux's unusual series -- Allison Hewitt is Trapped, and now Sadie Walker is Stranded -- are fun and a good use of cartoon illustrative style:

As I've mentioned before, they're having lots of fun with translucence in covers lately (partly due to many ghost novels now.) This one is for the second book in J.M. McDermott's secondary world series, When We Were Executioners:

And this is my favorite lately for Chuck Wendig's contemporary dark fantasy thriller Blackbirds, a graphics design cover:

Rogue Warrior
    Yeah the Blackbirds cover is awesome!

More pretties:

Mira Grant's zombie horror mystery series has a new volume, Deadline, and it's a good example of a simple symbol graphics cover, in line with the other covers of the series for Feed and Blackout:

Alan Campbell's Scar Night series has been a really interesting one in fantasy with really great covers. For the latest, Damnation for Beginners, they're making a bit of a change. They're keeping the basic design aesthetic, but they've worked in some 1970's paperback details and I think it's interesting. I'm wondering if they're planning to reissue the others to match or not (or this just may be for the hardcover, as his series has gone up the ranks in sales):

Saladin Ahmed has debuted with an Arab-based secondary world fantasy called Throne of the Crescent Moon (okay, we really have to start doing something about these fantasy titles.) The book's not out until December, but the cover shows the faintly humorous angle and I really like the skeleton men in the foreground. Ahmed's been nominated for a Nebula and a Campbell for shorter works already and so this may have some potential to be in the Barry Hughart Bridge of Birds territory:

Last edited by KatG; July 12th, 2012 at 10:33 AM.

Throne of the Crescent Moon has been out most of the year, Kat. It's not getting a UK publication until the end of the year, though.

And the artist is, I believe, Jason Chan.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Throne of the Crescent Moon has been out most of the year, Kat. It's not getting a UK publication until the end of the year, though.

And the artist is, I believe, Jason Chan.
    Yeah, I realized that mistake after I was looking other stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post

Saladin Ahmed has debuted with an Arab-based secondary world fantasy called Throne of the Crescent Moon (okay, we really have to start doing something about these fantasy titles.) The book's not out until December, but the cover shows the faintly humorous angle and I really like the skeleton men in the foreground. Ahmed's been nominated for a Nebula and a Campbell for shorter works already and so this may have some potential to be in the Barry Hughart Bridge of Birds territory:

I thought we could only post positive comments? Seriously though I really like this cover and it captures the heart of the novel very well.

The title is pretty cool, I think.

LOL, okay, I guess I should start another thread for that, you're right.

Some more:

Stephen Deas' new series entry The Order of the Scales has a full out fantasy painting in line with the series' covers that I like a great deal in the dragon category:

Another one using translucence for Katherine Kerr's contemporary fantasy series new entry Apocalypse to Go:

Wil McIntosh, who got a lot of attention for his SF novel Soft Apocalypse, did a fantasy novel, also involving ghosts and possession, Hitchers, and I like the cover a lot, sort of Norman Rockwell meets horror:

Last edited by KatG; July 12th, 2012 at 04:41 PM.

More errors for me: Turns out that Damnation for Beginners by Alan Campbell is not a straight installment in the Deepgate series. It's a novella (short novel) set in the same universe as the Deepgate saga, and it was published with Subterranean. Hence the somewhat different look for the cover.

And Throne of the Crescent Moon is nothing like Bridge of Birds...

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The cover for the order of scales is very nice. This version of it is also good: