I'm the law... Administrator daigoro's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why My Second book is Nothing Like the First by Alexes Razevich

We have a new guest post that I think might be of interest. Alexes Razevich has shared some thoughts on why her second book is nothing like the first one. I also have to mention that both her books are among my favorite reads lately.

You can read the Guest Post here
    Last edited by daigoro; January 14th, 2015 at 12:24 PM.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Great article and very true. Sometimes NaNoWriMo just isn't the right time or our ideas are just not there yet. I have had pneumonia before, though, and I would never consider it a blessing.

I think that the kind of pressures artificially induced by submitting to NaNoWriMo or anything like it is the core problem. Unless you're into formula writing, putting yourself on a fast conveyor belt is hardly the vehicle for a plot capable of matching a previous novel not written (assuming, here) under such severe constraints.

Kerry

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kmtolan View Post
    Unless you're into formula writing...
    I'll have to disagree with the sentiment behind this, Kerry. While I agree that NaNoWriMo isn't right for everyone, it has produced some great writing and even some best-selling novels. I think it really depends on the individual and the project. Some folks work well under pressure, others don't. Some do extensive plotting and elaborate outlines right before they embark on NaNoWriMo, others do not. Like anything, it is what you make of it.

This past year, while I didn't complete the 50k, I did start on a project during and inspired by NaNoWriMo that I'm still working on and hope to get a trilogy out of it. (Whether that's a good thing or not is debatable, but I'm enjoying the process, so that's good enough for me.) Essentially, what I'm trying to say is that for some it is worth the effort, but sometimes it is not. Either way, I don't think those who join are doing it because they are into formula writing or expect to churn our crap (though I agree that a lot of dubious writing probably goes on).

Quote Originally Posted by N. E. White View Post
    I'll have to disagree with the sentiment behind this, Kerry.
    Well it's still a head-scratcher for me. If you take, say, a year to formulate a plot and write the novel, can you expect to trump said manuscript with one rushed out in a matter of weeks? I guess things like this might happen, but without the assist of a formula-driven plot to begin with...well, I certainly couldn't do it. Notice that I'm talking about a previously written work as a comparison, here, not someone who can just jump in and pull out an instant hit.

Kerry