Thread: Rights?

Rights?

Does anyone have a link to any site that describes the different rights and their meanings? I have this one from Mary Soon Lee but it is not complete. It only mentions first north american and first anthology rights and doesn't do a great job defining them.

it could be worse Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Michael Sullivan did several really good articles (and continues to put out more) on publishing, copyrights, and contracts over on the Amazing Stories site. I'm not sure if any of his articles touch on what you need, but I'm sure you will learn a lot by perusing what he has there. Here's one to start.

Thanks TMSO -- I couldn't find the specific articles he wrote on this for short stories through a search at Amazing Stories, unfortunately.

I think I found what I was looking for, though, on writerswrite.com: http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/dec97/cew3.htm. Found via http://www.ralan.com/a.writing.htm#C.

it could be worse Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh, you wanted it for short stories...well...I guess that site you found would do. But it seems a bit old. Still, I don't think that sort of stuff changes too much. You can also check here. Maybe you can find something there that will help?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewscott View Post
    Does anyone have a link to any site that describes the different rights and their meanings? I have this one from Mary Soon Lee but it is not complete. It only mentions first north american and first anthology rights and doesn't do a great job defining them.
    What was your particular rights question?

First serial means the first publishing of a short story in a publication. First serial rights may be exclusive -- only the publication that licenses the story gets to do it first -- or non-exclusive -- several publications may publish the work concurrently. Second serial means the publishing of a short story that already was published at least once elsewhere. These rights are also sometimes called reprint rights. Second serial rights are usually non-exclusive. However, in the case of an anthology licensing a story that was originally published in a magazine, second serial rights may be exclusive for printing in an anthology for a limited time period, and the version that appears in the anthology will be part of the anthology which is under exclusive license as a unit.

North American rights means what territory the publication can sell the licensed work in. If it's North American rights, then the publication can sell the story in the U.S. and Canada, but not other countries. World territory means the whole world, although it may be just the whole world in the English language.

Yeah, I guess I meant short story specifically but I am interested in others as well, for a future time.

Thanks everyone, this is all very helpful. Really appreciate this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewscott View Post
    Personally I think the creator should be granted total hegemonic control over their creation unless they state that they wish it to be otherwise.