Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Carl Alves
    It took me my fourth novel and about eight thousand rejections to get published (my debut novel is coming out next year from Weaving Dreams Publishing). It was an excruciating process and it took about eight years from when I first started. But it was absolutely necessary. Looking back my early writing was complete crap. I have since revised my early stuff so that I no longer consider it crap. But writing is most definitely a craft, and it takes time to refine your skills.
    Carl Alves

Blog Entries
    Congratulations, Carl. What's your book about?

Carl Alves
    Thanks. My book is going to be called "Two for Eternity". It's about two immortals (one evil and the other a protector of humanity) who battle each other throughout history.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like something I'd like to read. Let me know when and where it will be available.

Carl Alves
    I don't have an exact date yet, but it should be coming out sometime late next year by Weaving Dreams Publishing.
    Carl Alves

Blog Entries
    I will be on the lookout. And as soon as it's available - let me know.
    Thanks.

Congrats mate, I'll be keeping an eye out too - sounds like my sort of thing.

Curious

I write short stories pretty regularly, although nothing published mainstream. I do enjoy it, and feel I'm progressing.

My desire is to write a novel. Tapping 120k words isn't intimidating to me, what is, is a topic. Since I have many areas of interest, I would like to know what areas are easier to publish, which are most popular, or even what gaps are awaiting new works.

Thanks

Carl Alves
    I think trying to decide what kind of novel to write based on what is currently more popular at the moment or what is easier to publish is a mistake. Trends change so quickly that by the time you are finished the novel and are shopping to agents and publishers, the trends will likely have changed. Go with what you feel most strongly about and what your heart is into, and that will be your most likely path to success.
    Carl Alves

Blog Entries
    Wishermoon ... I agree. Don't worry about the current "hot topics." What kind of books do you read? What gives you the most pleasure?

As a writer of fiction, you're really a story-teller. So write a story that you, yourself, would like to read.

Thanks

I was kind of feeling that would be the answer.

I like a lot of diffent kinds of reads, but I'm no Spielberg. I loved the Dark Tower series.

Sadly to say, I also enjoy the sappy romance novels.

Anyways, Thanks for taking the time to respond.

W

My first publication is a novella that was included in an anthology. It's been out for more than a year now, but sales have been much lower than I had been hoping for. Please help. I can assure you that you would enjoy it.

http://www.orionsarm.com/s/diamondsky/

I've also written several short stories, but have had no luck in getting any of them published. My ultimate goal is and always has been to publish a novel.

Blog Entries
    One of the things I've found out as I try to promote my books is ... You can't just write 'em and forget 'em. Even if you're published by one of the big New York houses, much of the success of your books depends on you.
    My publisher isn't one of the big houses, and we're both still struggling for name recognition. But we are - ta da! - now listed on Amazon.com, and we're working to get into Barnes and Noble.
    In the meantime, I've spent the last few years attending science fiction/fantasy conventions ... promoting myself online (there are some sites out there where you can find bloggers who'll let you guest on their pages) ... donating books to local libraries ... signing and selling books at special events such as art shows ... and placing my books with any independent book stores that will accept them.
    Besides Amazon, my books are also available from an online site called Creatures 'n Crooks.
    You have to push, push, push, and I'll admit, I still haven't done as much as I should just because of time and financial restraints.
    But keep plugging, keep working. And good luck.

Schwarzwald near Karlsruhe (in the southwest of Germany)
    Blog Entries

Is it difficult to publish if you come from another country?

Hello!

I'm a sci-fi writer from Germany and have published two story collections in German language so far. Step by step I translate my stories for the English language markets and also had first success (i. e. Internova, Aphelion, Planet Magazine), but no pro publication yet. My question: Is it really so very difficult to come in contact to those people who could help you publishing your works professionally? I'm asking because I will be looking for an interested publisher who wants to buy my translated story collection once it's finished.

Best, Sven

Congratulations on your pubs! My advice:

1) Work to keep building up your German audience. Foreign authors who have a following in their home country are obviously going to be more attractive to other publishers than those who don't.

2) Short story collections by a relatively new author are going to be a lot harder to place than a novel. If you plan to write a novel, you might want to wait until then. If you want to concentrate on short stories, getting some English language short stories in some of the SFF magazines may be the best way to start. Being in the magazines can sometimes get you noticed by book editors.

3) I would suggest that you concentrate on looking for small English presses for your short story collections and on finding a literary agent, probably in the U.K. If you can get an agent interested in your stuff, that agent can sell the English language market and possibly sales to other countries as well.

Good luck!