Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Kerry! More great information and more motivation to make my novel the best it can be. I'm blogging it as a serial right now, primarily looking for feedback and to get a rough draft out into the world (that may be shooting myself in the foot, but I made the decision and I'm sticking with it). I've been working on it on and off for a year and my own research really didn't get me anywhere. I've been on this website for 2 days and garnered more valuable, useful info than I had in a year.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by AZimmer23 View Post
    I'm blogging it as a serial right now
    Bang!

Kerry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kmtolan View Post
    Bang!

Kerry
    Hmm. Maybe I'll change it up and make the blog a progress update rather than the actual novel. Or change it to private so I have it where I can access it from anywhere but only those I invite can see it. Gotta think this through, but it's not like I'll be disappointed thousands of fans or anything.

Blog Entries
    Kerry, done and done; not much thinking through required after all. It is now private and only people I choose can access it. I'm gonna be really picky and only let the few people who I know will offer genuine, honest critique view it (one is actually a professional editor who looks over my journalistic stuff before it goes to print and I know I can trust her).

This way, I'll keep the blog going without giving away a free first draft.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by AZimmer23 View Post
    Kerry, done and done; not much thinking through required after all. It is now private and only people I choose can access it. I'm gonna be really picky and only let the few people who I know will offer genuine, honest critique view it (one is actually a professional editor who looks over my journalistic stuff before it goes to print and I know I can trust her).

This way, I'll keep the blog going without giving away a free first draft.

Thanks again.
    Heh, now you're putting your professional hat on. After all, you want your readers to see your best, not just a draft. Best they do that when you've got a publisher's logo stamped on it. Grats on wrangling up an editor - those folks are essential. Me, I'd just as soon email chapters and dispense with the blog idea altogether - blogs being a tad "leaky" if you know what I mean. Still, I do like where you're headed.

Kerry

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EricFox View Post
    My name is Eric Fox and I just published my first book "The Chronicles of Silverwolf: The Dawning of a Hero" through CreateSpace and so far people have really liked it which is good news for me. I decided to self-publish after countless rejections from publishers.

If you're thinking about publishing, you might be better off self publishing. At least that's what I did. CreateSpace and Hulu are two of the most popular ways to publish. If you have any questions about self-publishing through CreateSpace I will do my best to answer your questions.

Eric Fox
    Don't forget about ebook publishing options as well - Kindle DTP and B&N's pubit. When I was self published I made 95% of my sales on ebook and only 5% on printed books.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    Don't forget about ebook publishing options as well - Kindle DTP and B&N's pubit. When I was self published I made 95% of my sales on ebook and only 5% on printed books.
    I've definitely been looking at that. Seems to be the way to go. I will never give up on print books; I love the feel and the smell and the weight and the art. That said, I really like my eReader as well. Much easier to handle when reading right before sleep than a big-ass hardback!

Re preference for hard copy over ebook...

As we all watch the publishing world shake itself about and gradually settle into a new paradigm - I'm guessing the prevailing model will eventually be all books being available as both ebook and POD paperback, with the latter being far more expensive. This will have profound implications for all sectors of the writing and publishing industry - most of all for the bookstores. Those that survive will be operating very differently to the way they do now.

It seems scary for the writer - I finally got a book published and the industry starts falling apart! - but the opportunities are enormous, it seems to me, for those that get it right. All the old publishers and plenty of new online publishers are going to be scrambling for the talent now the cost of producing a book has plummeted. The high price and high risk of new authors had become so prohibitive as to all but crush new voices out of teh market place. But now, the main risk to publishers will be reputational - ie, making sure they don't publish too much crap as they hunt for the good new voices.

Publishers will want to be regarded as islands of quality in a sea of mediocrity, and willl survive only by maintaining high standards in commissioning, editing and production. Still, a lot more room for us newbies than there was.

Blog Entries

Essay in the Atlantic about publishers and self-publishing

Interesting article in the Atlantic about self-publishing (eBooks primarily) versus going the traditional route with a publishing house here.

It doesn't necessarily set the record straight or say don't do one or the other, but it is an interesting interesting piece and dispels some myths about the evils perpetrated on writers and readers by publishing houses.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by THEM View Post
    All the old publishers and plenty of new online publishers are going to be scrambling for the talent now the cost of producing a book has plummeted.
    I'm sure you're aware of this, but bear in mind that the advent of e-books doesn't mean that publishers' costs have plummeted - they still have to pay the salaries of people in editorial, design, production, marketing, rights, etc., all the usual company overheads and so on. The cost of physically printing a book does not represent as big a percentage as one might immediately think!

The article that prompted me to reply (specifically a quote from a Mr Evans in it) might be of interest: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17300074

Hope that's helpful and that I'm not saying obvious or dimwitted things

Of course the publishers still have all those overheads, but for any one book by far the biggest cost is printing. If you delete the bookshop's 40% and the distributor's 25%, and printing, it means that an ebook can be priced at far less than print and both the publisher and author make as much or more than under the print paradigm. More importantly, people with ereaders will read more regularly with books being so much cheaper.

Blog Entries
    Re preference for hard copy over ebook...

As we all watch the publishing world shake itself about and gradually settle into a new paradigm - I'm guessing the prevailing model will eventually be all books being available as both ebook and POD paperback, with the latter being far more expensive. This will have profound implications for all sectors of the writing and publishing industry - most of all for the bookstores. Those that survive will be operating very differently to the way they do now.
    I doubt bookstores will be able to utilize the POD model (unless it is through something like the Espresso Book Printing machine). Bookstores right now basically take books on consignment, and if they don't sell are returned for full credit. POD requires someone to pay up front...and I doubt the bookstore will do so.

Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    I doubt bookstores will be able to utilize the POD model (unless it is through something like the Espresso Book Printing machine). Bookstores right now basically take books on consignment, and if they don't sell are returned for full credit. POD requires someone to pay up front...and I doubt the bookstore will do so.
    How ironic...a sci-fi writer who doubts a future business model relying on a minor improvement to existing technology. (Just kidding)

The tensions are several - virtual product and immediate availability v paper; price; traditional tastes v younger readers less rusted on to paper...

I've got zero doubt that as the trad publishers (in particular) migrate to the ebook model, the features of the old paradigm will have to change or die. In Australia (where paperbacks have long been overpriced), bookshops are closing down everywhere. They will have to change to survive. I imagine the successful new model will be reading consultancies where people can go to get advice on their reading tastes - download an ebook straight away or wait ten minutes for the POD.

This will all be driven by price, but over the next 30 years, I'd expect paper to disppear completely. Mind you, some new technology will no doubt transform everything long before then.

Blog Entries
    How ironic...a sci-fi writer who doubts a future business model relying on a minor improvement to existing technology. (Just kidding)
    It may seem like a "minor improvement" in techology - but it's the economics of how and when books are paid for that is at issue. And the book business has been on essentially consignment (and allowing for full returns) from the beginning. In many ways I think this practice should end...but it may be one of those - be careful what you wish for - because if bookstores can't return unsold stock then the midlist authors will disapper from the shelves and only the big names will remain in bookstores.

The tensions are several - virtual product and immediate availability v paper; price; traditional tastes v younger readers less rusted on to paper...
    There is no beating the immediate availability and instant gratification that is eboks and why they will be the predominate reading format in the future and print books will be like vinyl records - loved by a few...more expensive...but a subsidary format.

I've got zero doubt that as the trad publishers (in particular) migrate to the ebook model, the features of the old paradigm will have to change or die. In Australia (where paperbacks have long been overpriced), bookshops are closing down everywhere. They will have to change to survive. I imagine the successful new model will be reading consultancies where people can go to get advice on their reading tastes - download an ebook straight away or wait ten minutes for the POD.
    Waiting ten minutes for a POD - implies use of the Espresso Machine - which I think was an exceptionally good idea - but the business model was a bad one - The manufacturer should have rented space in the bookstores rather than selling to bookstores as the "initial investment" is too high and the maintenence is scarey. If it was like an ATM where the company that owns the machine is responsible for the upkeep and they just pay the store a cut - I think that model might be able to work.

This will all be driven by price, but over the next 30 years, I'd expect paper to disppear completely. Mind you, some new technology will no doubt transform everything long before then.
    I'm not convinced that it will disappear completely - but in 5 years the majority of the books consumed will not be in any paper format.

Blog Entries
    This is a very interesting conversation and I'm learning more and more about the publishing industry (and this is coming from a former bookstore employee), but I think it may be getting a little off-topic. This is all speculation on market trends.

So let me ask this: Is selling a few short stories a good way to break in to the industry, or is it better to concentrate on a novel and see where that goes? I know many of us write both and I'm just wondering if publishers even care about short stories, especially if you haven't received much attention for them. Now, if one were to be nominated for a Hugo or other award, that would certainly make a difference, but such things are limited.

I'm going to write regardless, but knowing I had an outlet would be nice.
    Last edited by AZimmer23; March 13th, 2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: dumb typo