Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mega cities and Science fiction

I have a affection for the mega city. I simply love the concept. Therefor I start this thread to discuss mega cities and science fiction.

Which is the greatest dystopian mega city in sci-fi? Is it The Sprawl (Neuromancer), Detroit (RoboCop) or San-Angeles (Demolition Man)?

Which are the coolest city states/one-corp states? Is it Mega-City One (Judge Dredd) or New York 2022 (Soylent Green)?

Which Anime city do you like best? Is it Mega Tokyo (Bubblegum crisis), Neo-Tokyo (Akira) or Oedo (Cyber City Oedo 808)?

Which ecumenopoleis (Planet wide mega cities) do you love most? Is it Trantor (Asimov's Foundation series), Coruscant (Star Wars), City Europe (in David Wingrove's Chung Kuo series), Holy Terra and Necromunda (Warhammer 40,000), Ravnica (Magic: The Gathering) or maybe Asuras (Stargate Atlantis).

Which movie taking place in a Mega city do you consider the best? Is it Ridley Scott's Blade Runner, Fritz Lang's Metropolis, Min Byeong-cheon's Natural City or maybe Luc Besson's The Fifth Element?

Which MMORPG city is best? Is it Paragon City (City of Heroes), Mega City (The Matrix Online) or maybe Kaineng City (Guild Wars)?

Will BosWash (Boston-Washington), Blue Banana (London-Milan), SanSan (San Fransisco-San Diego), Quebec-Windsor, Madison-Milwaukee, Valley of Mexico (Mexico City-Pachuca), Cascadia (Seattle-Vancouver), Taiheiyo Belt (Tokyo-Kyoto), Jabodetabek (Jakarta-Bekasi), Tehran-Varamin, Öresund (Copenhagen-Southern Sweden) and Rio-Campinas merge into megalopolises (highly urbanized zones)?

Will large parts of China, India and Pakistan merge into megalopolises?

Which is your favorite mega city? Tokyo, Seoul, Mexico City, Delhi, Bombay (Mumbai), New York City, Saõ Paolo, Manila, Los Angeles, Shanghai, Osaka, Kolkata, Karachi, Guangzhou, Jakarta, Cairo, Buenos Aires, Moscow, Beijing, Dhaka, Istanbul, Rio De Janiero, Tehran, London or maybe Lagos?

Which city is most sci-fi? Is it Dubai, Taipei, Singapore or Hong-Kong?

Please share your views on this wonderful matter. There is mega-much to discuss.
    Last edited by Martin Ekdahl; July 22nd, 2009 at 07:42 AM.

Rogue Warrior
    Camorr in Scott Lynch's Lamora series is pretty cool, although it's fantasy. I haven't read it yet, but Mieville's city made of ships all together in The Scar sounds cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    Camorr in Scott Lynch's Lamora series is pretty cool, although it's fantasy. I haven't read it yet, but Mieville's city made of ships all together in The Scar sounds cool too.
    Oh, I haven't heard of them. Must check it out asap. Next stop Wikipedia.

Which movie taking place in a Mega city do you consider the best? Is it Ridley Scott's Blade Runner, Fritz Lang's Metropolis, Min Byeong-cheon's Natural City or maybe Luc Besson's The Fifth Element?
    Blade Runner had the best visuals, The 5th Element was just silly.

psik

An anthology, METAtropolis edited by John Scalzi featuring stories by Jay Lake, Elizabeth Bear, Tobias Buckell, Scalzi, and Karl Schroeder was released as an audiobook original last year. Very soon (July 2009, I think) Subterranean Press is publishing the print version, which I just finished a few days ago. Very good stuff in there, very atmospheric and hauntingly plausible in many ways.

I'll be posting a review in about a week or two.

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ekdahl View Post
    Oh, I haven't heard of them. Must check it out asap. Next stop Wikipedia.
    This book cover has a pretty cool picture of Camorr.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lies-Locke-Lam...pd_sim_kinc_69

I remember there are cable cars between castles.

I have a soft spot for Mega-City One, even if the number of times it's been levelled, blown up, nuked, irradiated, poisoned or attacked by killer mutant zombies is now reaching ludicrous proportions.

Tranquillity, the giant sentient space habitat from Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy is pretty damn impressive. I wouldn't mind living there. Valisk...not so much

Chasm City and the Glitter Band before the Melding Plague in Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space novels are cool as well.

What about Curscant from Star Wars? The planet is one massive city

My two favorites are Trantor and Coruscant because I know those two best from fiction. The cities in Blade Runner and The 5th Element are too depressing, even though I like the movies a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    Blade Runner had the best visuals, The 5th Element was just silly.

psik
    Yup. I agree. I didn't like The 5th Element at all. But I love Blade Runner. The sweeping cameras over the dystopic Los Angeles with it's almost Mayan architechture and never-ending rain to the music of Vangelis. It ain't getting any better.

Check out this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJrOVLEUBgw

It gives me goose bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    An anthology, METAtropolis edited by John Scalzi featuring stories by Jay Lake, Elizabeth Bear, Tobias Buckell, Scalzi, and Karl Schroeder was released as an audiobook original last year. Very soon (July 2009, I think) Subterranean Press is publishing the print version, which I just finished a few days ago. Very good stuff in there, very atmospheric and hauntingly plausible in many ways.

I'll be posting a review in about a week or two.
    Please do!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    This book cover has a pretty cool picture of Camorr.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lies-Locke-Lam...pd_sim_kinc_69

I remember there are cable cars between castles.
    Yeah, it looks nice. A mixture between Dubai and London in fantasy setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    I have a soft spot for Mega-City One, even if the number of times it's been levelled, blown up, nuked, irradiated, poisoned or attacked by killer mutant zombies is now reaching ludicrous proportions.
    Oh, how I love it. It is so crude. It's a city with an extreme endurance. Some memorable moments: when the Dark Judges ravaged the town, when East Meg One nuked one fifth of Mega-City One, when Judge Cal sentenced the whole population to death and, of course, all those Block wars.

Quote Originally Posted by biodroid View Post
    What about Curscant from Star Wars? The planet is one massive city
    Yes it's perfect. Because it's somewhat a mixture between the ancient Rome, Trantor, Hong-Kong and Blade Runner's Los Angeles. Utopian and dystopian at the same time. And massive! I like.

Quote Originally Posted by manephelien View Post
    My two favorites are Trantor and Coruscant because I know those two best from fiction. The cities in Blade Runner and The 5th Element are too depressing, even though I like the movies a lot.
    Can they be too depressing?