Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    Naaghabrother Martin Ekdahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The beautiful town of Rostock
    Posts
    67

    Mega cities and Science fiction

    I have a affection for the mega city. I simply love the concept. Therefor I start this thread to discuss mega cities and science fiction.

    Which is the greatest dystopian mega city in sci-fi? Is it The Sprawl (Neuromancer), Detroit (RoboCop) or San-Angeles (Demolition Man)?

    Which are the coolest city states/one-corp states? Is it Mega-City One (Judge Dredd) or New York 2022 (Soylent Green)?

    Which Anime city do you like best? Is it Mega Tokyo (Bubblegum crisis), Neo-Tokyo (Akira) or Oedo (Cyber City Oedo 808)?

    Which ecumenopoleis (Planet wide mega cities) do you love most? Is it Trantor (Asimov's Foundation series), Coruscant (Star Wars), City Europe (in David Wingrove's Chung Kuo series), Holy Terra and Necromunda (Warhammer 40,000), Ravnica (Magic: The Gathering) or maybe Asuras (Stargate Atlantis).

    Which movie taking place in a Mega city do you consider the best? Is it Ridley Scott's Blade Runner, Fritz Lang's Metropolis, Min Byeong-cheon's Natural City or maybe Luc Besson's The Fifth Element?

    Which MMORPG city is best? Is it Paragon City (City of Heroes), Mega City (The Matrix Online) or maybe Kaineng City (Guild Wars)?

    Will BosWash (Boston-Washington), Blue Banana (London-Milan), SanSan (San Fransisco-San Diego), Quebec-Windsor, Madison-Milwaukee, Valley of Mexico (Mexico City-Pachuca), Cascadia (Seattle-Vancouver), Taiheiyo Belt (Tokyo-Kyoto), Jabodetabek (Jakarta-Bekasi), Tehran-Varamin, Öresund (Copenhagen-Southern Sweden) and Rio-Campinas merge into megalopolises (highly urbanized zones)?

    Will large parts of China, India and Pakistan merge into megalopolises?

    Which is your favorite mega city? Tokyo, Seoul, Mexico City, Delhi, Bombay (Mumbai), New York City, Saõ Paolo, Manila, Los Angeles, Shanghai, Osaka, Kolkata, Karachi, Guangzhou, Jakarta, Cairo, Buenos Aires, Moscow, Beijing, Dhaka, Istanbul, Rio De Janiero, Tehran, London or maybe Lagos?

    Which city is most sci-fi? Is it Dubai, Taipei, Singapore or Hong-Kong?

    Please share your views on this wonderful matter. There is mega-much to discuss.
    Last edited by Martin Ekdahl; July 22nd, 2009 at 07:42 AM.

  2. #2
    Rogue Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Tx.
    Posts
    903
    Camorr in Scott Lynch's Lamora series is pretty cool, although it's fantasy. I haven't read it yet, but Mieville's city made of ships all together in The Scar sounds cool too.

  3. #3
    Naaghabrother Martin Ekdahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The beautiful town of Rostock
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    Camorr in Scott Lynch's Lamora series is pretty cool, although it's fantasy. I haven't read it yet, but Mieville's city made of ships all together in The Scar sounds cool too.
    Oh, I haven't heard of them. Must check it out asap. Next stop Wikipedia.

  4. #4
    Live Long & Suffer psikeyhackr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sol III
    Posts
    2,904
    Which movie taking place in a Mega city do you consider the best? Is it Ridley Scott's Blade Runner, Fritz Lang's Metropolis, Min Byeong-cheon's Natural City or maybe Luc Besson's The Fifth Element?
    Blade Runner had the best visuals, The 5th Element was just silly.

    psik

  5. #5
    \m/ BEER \m/ Moderator Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Near Cows in the Garden State
    Posts
    10,908
    An anthology, METAtropolis edited by John Scalzi featuring stories by Jay Lake, Elizabeth Bear, Tobias Buckell, Scalzi, and Karl Schroeder was released as an audiobook original last year. Very soon (July 2009, I think) Subterranean Press is publishing the print version, which I just finished a few days ago. Very good stuff in there, very atmospheric and hauntingly plausible in many ways.

    I'll be posting a review in about a week or two.

  6. #6
    Rogue Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Tx.
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ekdahl View Post
    Oh, I haven't heard of them. Must check it out asap. Next stop Wikipedia.
    This book cover has a pretty cool picture of Camorr.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lies-Locke-Lam...pd_sim_kinc_69

    I remember there are cable cars between castles.

  7. #7
    Registered User Werthead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,648
    I have a soft spot for Mega-City One, even if the number of times it's been levelled, blown up, nuked, irradiated, poisoned or attacked by killer mutant zombies is now reaching ludicrous proportions.

    Tranquillity, the giant sentient space habitat from Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy is pretty damn impressive. I wouldn't mind living there. Valisk...not so much

    Chasm City and the Glitter Band before the Melding Plague in Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space novels are cool as well.

  8. #8
    What about Curscant from Star Wars? The planet is one massive city

  9. #9
    Gryffindor Gal manephelien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Diagon Alley
    Posts
    267
    My two favorites are Trantor and Coruscant because I know those two best from fiction. The cities in Blade Runner and The 5th Element are too depressing, even though I like the movies a lot.

  10. #10
    Naaghabrother Martin Ekdahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The beautiful town of Rostock
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    Blade Runner had the best visuals, The 5th Element was just silly.

    psik
    Yup. I agree. I didn't like The 5th Element at all. But I love Blade Runner. The sweeping cameras over the dystopic Los Angeles with it's almost Mayan architechture and never-ending rain to the music of Vangelis. It ain't getting any better.

    Check out this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJrOVLEUBgw

    It gives me goose bumps.

  11. #11
    Naaghabrother Martin Ekdahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The beautiful town of Rostock
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    An anthology, METAtropolis edited by John Scalzi featuring stories by Jay Lake, Elizabeth Bear, Tobias Buckell, Scalzi, and Karl Schroeder was released as an audiobook original last year. Very soon (July 2009, I think) Subterranean Press is publishing the print version, which I just finished a few days ago. Very good stuff in there, very atmospheric and hauntingly plausible in many ways.

    I'll be posting a review in about a week or two.
    Please do!

  12. #12
    Naaghabrother Martin Ekdahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The beautiful town of Rostock
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    This book cover has a pretty cool picture of Camorr.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lies-Locke-Lam...pd_sim_kinc_69

    I remember there are cable cars between castles.
    Yeah, it looks nice. A mixture between Dubai and London in fantasy setting.

  13. #13
    Naaghabrother Martin Ekdahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The beautiful town of Rostock
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    I have a soft spot for Mega-City One, even if the number of times it's been levelled, blown up, nuked, irradiated, poisoned or attacked by killer mutant zombies is now reaching ludicrous proportions.
    Oh, how I love it. It is so crude. It's a city with an extreme endurance. Some memorable moments: when the Dark Judges ravaged the town, when East Meg One nuked one fifth of Mega-City One, when Judge Cal sentenced the whole population to death and, of course, all those Block wars.

  14. #14
    Naaghabrother Martin Ekdahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The beautiful town of Rostock
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by biodroid View Post
    What about Curscant from Star Wars? The planet is one massive city
    Yes it's perfect. Because it's somewhat a mixture between the ancient Rome, Trantor, Hong-Kong and Blade Runner's Los Angeles. Utopian and dystopian at the same time. And massive! I like.

  15. #15
    Naaghabrother Martin Ekdahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The beautiful town of Rostock
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by manephelien View Post
    My two favorites are Trantor and Coruscant because I know those two best from fiction. The cities in Blade Runner and The 5th Element are too depressing, even though I like the movies a lot.
    Can they be too depressing?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •