Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking What should I read next?

Im pretty new to Sci-fi, (Im more of a fantasy guy), but I have these two on my shelf and Im ready to go on to something new.

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge

or

Hyperion by Dan Simmions.

Ive only read The Terror by Dan Simmions, which I honestly didnt like, but otherwise Im brand new to these authors.

Im looking for something with more plot twists and adventure.

HELP!

Those two books you mention are both from the early 90s, I think. If you want something fairly easy to like and get into, from around that same period, with adventures and lovely plot twists, I would recommend Iain M Bank's Use of Weapons.

I really liked Orson Scott Card's book Ender's Game. There's a bunch of books he's written about the world Ender's Game takes place in but the two I've found that were the best were Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead.

Both great reads and this is coming from a guy who is also more fantasy driven.

I would definitely read 'A Fire Upon The Deep' (I personally consider this Vinge's best work). Obviously, if you like it, you should then move on to 'A Deepness In The Sky', which is in the same universe and almost as good.

Hyperion never appealed to me that much.

I would agree. I am actually currently reading A Fire Upon the Deep for the first time, and am enjoying it much more than I enjoyed Hyperion.

I would definitely read 'A Fire Upon The Deep'
    Ditto!

I haven't read Hyperion, can't comment on that.

psik

Hyperion. Just awesome.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glelas View Post
    Hyperion. Just awesome.
    Yup, amazing. One of my favourite Sci-Fi books ever, along with Dune and some Asimov stuff.

Vinge's work is the more "fantasy" like of the two in my opinion so you should relate with your history. Hyperion is on my top ten of all time. With its Hugo status it should be at least tried by all lovers of SciFi. A side benefit of Hyperion is it has a half dozen shorter stories told by the main characters. Readers may connect with any or all of them to help see the novel through to its end.

I haven't read Vinge yet though I am sure i'll delve into it eventually. Hyperion is probably my favorite book.

Quote Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
    Vinge's work is the more "fantasy" like of the two in my opinion so you should relate with your history.
    Very true! Once a multi-species group sets off in Out of Bound II to destroy a galaxy spanning evil, you know that the ghosts of Frodo, Gimli and Legolas will ensure their success (Pratchet's "Narrative Imperative").

I went with Hyperion, and boy Im glad I did. Its fantastic. I really like the "landscapes" of it. One of the few books I read that I really feel like Im on a different planet based on his descriptions. Thanks guys.

I'm glad your into it. For me, the four Hyperion novels evolve as you evolve. For example, Sol's story hit so much harder in a later re-read after I had become a father and had a daughter of my own. Even the Endymion novels act this way with subtle detail revealing itself in later slower paced readings. Father Glacus still haunts my thoughts at times.

For starters . . . .

Alphabetical by title:

• Anima by M. John Harrison
    • A Billion Days of Earth by Doris Piserchia
    • "The Briah Cycle" by Gene Wolfe (comprises 12 novels: the main subdivisions are collected as "The Book of the New Sun", "The Book of the Long Sun", and "The Book of the Short Sun")
    • The Deep by John Crowley
    • "The Demon Princes" by Jack Vance (comprises 5 books)
    • "Dies Irae" by Brian Stableford (comprises 3 books)
    • Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman
    • The Golden Apples of the Sun by Ray Bradbury (short stories)
    • "The Instrumentality of Man" by Cordwainer Smith (comprises a novel and a volume of short stories -- get only the NESFA editions)
    • Past Master by R. A. Lafferty (be sure to read up on Lafferty first!)
    • Pavane by Keith Roberts
    • "Planet of Adventure" by Jack Vance (comprises 4 books)
    • Report on Probability A by Brian W. Aldiss
    • "Viriconium" by M. John Harrison (comprises 4 books that evolve from sf to fantasy)

Those constitute a wide sampling of science-fiction works of, I reckon, estimable literary quality. They all have sound plots, and most (but not all) have lots of adventure.

trolling > dissertation nquixote's Avatar
    Read both.

Also, read Startide Rising, by David Brin. It's in the same vein.