An Idea for a Science Fiction Story

I was just wondering if anyone has read a story similar to the following. There is a proposed scientific instrument called the Super Large Hadron Collider which is designed to smash subatomic particles together. I've heard a rumor that there is concern that such experiments might have unknown consequences. That's a common theme in science fiction stories.

Another frequent theme is of finding alien life. A recent science fiction series explains why there aren't more alien species obviously populating the galaxy by supposing the existence of an Inhibitor race of aliens.

Yet another theme is of the apocalyptic disaster. I'm wondering if there has been a story that has combined the ideas in way suggesting that a relatively attainable scientific breakthrough has been the reason behind alien civilization extinction before they've been able to expand and colonize the galaxy. For example has it ever been proposed that a common reason for extinction for developed alien life is because of an experiment like that being conducted by the Super Large Hadron Collider (SLHC) ripping a whole through the fabric of space tapping into an unknown gargantuan energy well the release of which causes an all consuming quasar destroying everything?

By the way the SLHC was supposedly set to be implemented in 2012 just in time for the end of the world as predicted by the Mayans. Is there any story like that combining those elements?

trolling > dissertation nquixote's Avatar
    Forever Peace, by Joe Haldeman.

From reading a summary of The Forever Peace it seems to me the similar idea might have more in common with that depicted in Asimov's "The Last Question", but thanks for pointing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bond View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone has read a story similar to the following. There is a proposed scientific instrument called the Super Large Hadron Collider which is designed to smash subatomic particles together. I've heard a rumor that there is concern that such experiments might have unknown consequences. That's a common theme in science fiction stories.

Another frequent theme is of finding alien life. A recent science fiction series explains why there aren't more alien species obviously populating the galaxy by supposing the existence of an Inhibitor race of aliens.

Yet another theme is of the apocalyptic disaster. I'm wondering if there has been a story that has combined the ideas in way suggesting that a relatively attainable scientific breakthrough has been the reason behind alien civilization extinction before they've been able to expand and colonize the galaxy. For example has it ever been proposed that a common reason for extinction for developed alien life is because of an experiment like that being conducted by the Super Large Hadron Collider (SLHC) ripping a whole through the fabric of space tapping into an unknown gargantuan energy well the release of which causes an all consuming quasar destroying everything?

By the way the SLHC was supposedly set to be implemented in 2012 just in time for the end of the world as predicted by the Mayans. Is there any story like that combining those elements?
    Thrice Upon a Time by James P. Hogan had a device that used lasers and fuel pellets that were used to create tiny fusion reactions for energy. It was experimental and working. Problem was the entire fuel pellet was turned into a tiny black hole that dropped into the Earth and began to eat it. The crux of the story is really about Time, and sending messages back in time and this was just one of the problems solved by getting a message from the future.

This scenario more or less in reverse is present in Cosm by Gregory Benford.

Spoiler:
    Where scientific experiments with particle accelerators are causing new independent universes to exist, as a kind of cosmical evolution for the possibility of intelligent life.