Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar

Jim Cameronís Avatar

Friday was Avatar day. Cinemaís across the world got to sell tickets for a 15 minute, full 3D trailer for James Cameronís supposed ground breaking new film Ė his first full length fictional feature since Titanic.

On Thursday Apple trailers released a short teaser trailer for the film and near enough crashed because of the demand to see it. This is the only footage Iíve seen of the film so far and was pretty underwhelmed. I have heard that the 3D effects within the film are pretty damn cool, but from what I know of the story line, it sounds like it is going to be all flash and no bang.

The CGI to me looked cartoony, which is fine, but considering it was hyped as being near real, it looked or Pixar than anything else. Since, based on the footage Iíve seen, most of the film seems to be CGI it looks a little video game like.

I didnít have very high hopes for the film anyway; Iíve just had very little interest in the project since the first details started to leak.

Itís a big Christmas release and I will go see it just because Iíve yet to see a 3D film. However, the trailer hasnít sold it to me, nor has the story. It is just the possible 3D experience.

Did anyone manage to make it to one of the special previews?

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    All I've seen is the teaser, and although it looks kind of cool, I'll agree with you... underwhelming.

Probably just because I've been hearing about this for YEARS, and keep hearing about how it's supposed to be the most amazing CGI ever done. To me, it looked pretty much on par with Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith. Awesome CGI, but nothing I haven't seen before (and DEFINITELY not photo-realistic).

I think by the time December 18th rolls around, I'll already be sick of hearing about this film, due to the hype-fest that is about to begin.

I dont know - I watched the trailer and it looked pretty fantastic to me. Time will tell though fellas. I am a Cameron fan and yes I did enjoy the Titanic enough to go three times so I am very curious with what he has been working on all this time.
    Cheers

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Was the trailer in 3-D?

Hey Kater - I am not very tech savy but is that possible?

Blog Entries
    No I didn't think so but wasn't entirely sure myself
    My brother's a big movie fan and gets several magazines including Empire, which had a great article on Avatar this month with Cameron stating that the only way to watch the movie, because of the effects, would be with 3-D glasses in the cinema. So I was wondering how much of the experience is lost with the trailer if it wasn't shown as it's meant to be.

The movie will apparently be released in 2-D and 3-D. I'll be honest, so far I haven't been impressed AT ALL with the recent 3-D craze. I saw Coraline in 3-D and although I enjoyed the movie, the 3-D sucked. The glasses were annoying, they made the colours too dark, and the image was somewhat blurry. I don't even think I want to see Avatar in 3-D.

The trailer looked kind of cool, don't get me wrong... but considering how much hype I'd heard about it containing the most realistic CGI ever done... please. It looked sooo fake and cartoony.

Blog Entries
    Fair enough, it seemed from the article like Cameron fel that 3-D was the way forward and that this would be the experience of movie goers from now on. To me it's fascinating to see someone who has been a big part of the industry try to advance the medium, even if he is possibly misguided, rather than simply sitting back and raking in the money. Having not seen a huge amount about Avatar, I'm excited to see how it turns out.

There have been rumors as to whether or not the Hobbit films will be in 3-D... but the overwhelming fan reaction has been "Please, god, no!"

I agree. The Hobbit in 3-D would be horrible, horrible, horrible.

Blog Entries
    Interesting - Cameron mentioned in the article he's been using WETA's (?) CGI system to make Avatar and when espousing on the benefits of 3-D Jackson was one of the people he mentioned as being able to take it further ...

Jackson has definitely expressed some interest in 3-D (e.g. for the upcoming Tintin films)... but Tolkien fans don't seem to want it for The Hobbit. Just found this new update today:

Tolkien Fans Agree...No 3-D

I think the reaction has to do with the fact that 3-D technology just feels too artificial, hi-tech, and futuristic for something like Tolkien's Middle-earth. The tone of Tolkien's books is quaint, and English... not crazy intense Hollywood 3-D action. Also, 3-D films often seem to contain specific shots and effects that are intended to cater to the 3-D experience, which can feel unnatural. I'm sure 3-D can be cool, if used properly, but I don't think it fits well with the tone of The Hobbit.
    Last edited by Evil Agent; August 26th, 2009 at 05:49 PM.

I enjoyed UP in 3-D which was a perfect movie for that kind of thing. I would see Avatar in either 2-D or 3-D. But overall I find it kind of distracting. The Avatar trailer did not look photo-realisitc but looked cool. I dont know much about the story which I like and dont want to know more and go in open. I think nowadays we usually know way too much about the movies we are going to see especially the big ones and then it is hard to be surprised and that is what we want isnt it?

I have to vote No to a 3-D Hobbit!

Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kater View Post
    No I didn't think so but wasn't entirely sure myself
    My brother's a big movie fan and gets several magazines including Empire, which had a great article on Avatar this month with Cameron stating that the only way to watch the movie, because of the effects, would be with 3-D glasses in the cinema. So I was wondering how much of the experience is lost with the trailer if it wasn't shown as it's meant to be.
    I have no doubt that seeing it in 3D will be a interesting experience, but really, I should be able to watch it in 2D and still enjoy it if the film is good.

The feeling I get, is that it they are making it all about the 3D effects and not about the story.

This whole 3d craze is a load of garbage. It's impressive how the movie industry can take a huge step forward and plant it's foot in the 50's. I'm not interested in 3d or 3d glasses or anything, I just don't care. It's been so bad lately I'm starting to feel like I could be steered away from things by 3d.

I'm with you. Glad to know that not everybody's buying into this.

Anyway, in response to the fan reaction regarding the hobbit, Guillermo del Toro just said THIS:

ďI can safely say that, as of this moment, there are absolutely NO conversations about doing the HOBBIT films in 3D.Ē