Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Doctor Who - OMG! It's true! It's true!

Dr Who's new assistant

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...io/3743753.stm

Mind you... I suppose (says she grudgingly) it might be a deliberate choice as a kind of 'foil' for Chris Ecclestone's supposed 'dark edge'... hmm, I'll need convincing...

Funky

Appy Polly Logies
    I like Chris Ecclestone, I have no idea who this other person is.

Hmmm. Not too optimistic about either choice really.
    Billie Piper is famous in the UK for two things
    A. One hit record.

B Marrying Chris Evans, who is considered (in the UK) to be one of the most annoying people ever born.

But then a lot of Dr Who's assistants did look like ex-children'sTV presenters, so I guess in that sense Ms Piper (or Mrs Evans) fits the bill.

Tom Baker was and is the definitive Dr Who for me as I grew up watching him and I liked his style.
    Don't know what happened with Richard E Grant, but he sounded perfect for the part.

Nevermind!
    It'll be interesting to see what they do with it with today's special effects. Plus I wonder if the Daleks can be still be thwarted by their evil nemesis; "The staircase", and are still sporting the old egg whisk and sink plunger, weapons combo!

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    OH DEAR.....

As if the above wasn't bad enough, the latest from the BBC website is:

THE DALEKS WILL NOT BE APPEARING.......

See here for details.....

Hobbit
    Mark

Archmage
    *Ducks and hides from all the British folks on this forum* I never really liked Dr. Who. They play it from time to time over here in the states. Just never got into it. Maybe I just didn't see enough episodes. The same goes for Red Dwarf. Everyone says that is outstanding, but it never really appealed to be. I would compare them both to say...Battlestar Gallactica. Is my comparison way off my friends. Have I simply just not experienced enough of Dr. Who ??

Thats okay Arch!

I think most british people of a certain age just like the nostalgia of the whole thing - a whole generation grew up hiding behind the couch from about the age of 5!!!

However - Red Dwarf! Are you kidding! How can you NOT laugh!!! It's a classic! Go have a couple of beers and get your mates round and watch any episode with "Ace Rimmer" in (or my fave which is the Wild West one with Cat being "The Riviera Kid!" So cool.

Cheers
    Funky

Archmage
    Quote Originally Posted by funky_fantasist
    I think most british people of a certain age just like the nostalgia of the whole thing - a whole generation grew up hiding behind the couch from about the age of 5!!!

However - Red Dwarf! Are you kidding! How can you NOT laugh!!! It's a classic! Go have a couple of beers and get your mates round and watch any episode with "Ace Rimmer" in (or my fave which is the Wild West one with Cat being "The Riviera Kid!" So cool.

Cheers
    Funky

Thanks for the recommendations. Next time they decide to show Red Dwarf again over here, I will check out it in more detail. Have you ever seen Lexx ?? It is on the Sci Fi channel. It is kinda in a similiar style to Red Dwarf, with the comedic aspects. Lexx is freakin hillarious, and has great special affects on top of that. So much inuendo (I am spelling that word wrong,I know) and adult humor (not recommended for kids) It cracks me up. Also the new show they had this past season on the Sci Fi Channel, Tripping The Rift, was sooo funny. It was all done in Computer Graphics/Animation and its hillarious.

Peace
    Last edited by Archmage; July 10th, 2004 at 01:01 PM.

I wasn't sold on Billie Piper at first, but she does have the companion look, like a modern-day Jo Grant.

No daleks is a blessing in my book. I don't hear an outcry about there being no Master (which would have been cool if they found someone who can compete with the original 2 actors and doesn't look like Eric Roberts). There are a limited number of episodes, so why waste a few of them on a formulaic Dalek story. Better to wow us with new and unpredictable stuff.

Still no word on whether Paul McGann will be back for a continuity regeneration.

Check out this page for some great goss about the potential storylines and the possiblity of more than one season: http://www.gallifreyone.com/newseriesfaq.php

As for Red Dwarf, it rocks.

Blog Entries
    *bumps back up*
    If only to say that, for those who didn't know, the BBC and the Terry Nation Estate have now sorted their differences out and the Daleks WILL be appearing.... BBC article here

Been all over the news here in the UK, though SFX Magazine did point out a few days ago that despite the gloom and doom comments, discussions were continuing.

Still not convinced about Billie, nor that the series can match the hype already developing...but determined to keep an open mind. Even Michael Grade's prepared to be convinced!

LATER EDIT (POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOLLOW): Funnily enough, this article points out where the new series starts. There was an episode of the 1960's Avengers TV series that was set in a department store 'gone bad', too! Funny how these things come around....

Hobbit
    Mark

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    OMG! It's true! It's true!

Damn I was sure this thread was going to be about the upcoming Transformers movie

Oh gawd Hobbit! Just checked out the link!

Seems to me like they (Ecclestone and Piper) have no idea of the provenance of what they are involved in... could be cos I'm slightly tiddled! BUT the comment "it's all a big romp" - or words to that effect, do not endear me to the new Dr. Hope I'm wrong tho...

Night night...
    Funky

I saw an interview with Billie Piper this morning, and a very short clip of the programme....Apparantly, she falls for Dr Who, and vice versa.

What is the world coming to?

Blog Entries
    BOING! Another old thread pops up again.

The BBC promotion machine has gone into hyperdrive this week, with the press launch and a copy of what sounds like the first episode (or an early version of it) appearing on the Internet.

The first episode will be on the BBC on Saturday March 26th at 7pm. A second series of 13 episodes has already been provisionally been asked for, though the definite decision will be made after 6 weeks or so (once an idea of the audience figures have been assessed).

The initial reviews have been very positive. Not sure about Doctor Who with a Mancunian accent myself, nor Billie Piper (see above) but am still willing to suspend disbelief for a while.

Anybody know anything about overseas viewings?

Hobbit
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Hobbit, get thee self a copy of last week's sunday times.... the "culture" part....

BIG ARTICLE! they actually liked what they had seen... I don't know whether to be pleased or very afraid *gulp* (Hol who can remember the very first Doctor Who being shown and not a repeat!)

I know who will be watching enthusiastically now that Daleks are coming back (he was really excited about the Dalek book he got for his birthday).

I can also see my Dad bugging me to get them for him (he watches the classics every night on TV) - just asked him and yep he wants them *sigh*.

I vaguely remember watching it as a kid. It's so funny to watch it now though