Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar

Jim Cameronís Avatar

Friday was Avatar day. Cinemaís across the world got to sell tickets for a 15 minute, full 3D trailer for James Cameronís supposed ground breaking new film Ė his first full length fictional feature since Titanic.

On Thursday Apple trailers released a short teaser trailer for the film and near enough crashed because of the demand to see it. This is the only footage Iíve seen of the film so far and was pretty underwhelmed. I have heard that the 3D effects within the film are pretty damn cool, but from what I know of the story line, it sounds like it is going to be all flash and no bang.

The CGI to me looked cartoony, which is fine, but considering it was hyped as being near real, it looked or Pixar than anything else. Since, based on the footage Iíve seen, most of the film seems to be CGI it looks a little video game like.

I didnít have very high hopes for the film anyway; Iíve just had very little interest in the project since the first details started to leak.

Itís a big Christmas release and I will go see it just because Iíve yet to see a 3D film. However, the trailer hasnít sold it to me, nor has the story. It is just the possible 3D experience.

Did anyone manage to make it to one of the special previews?

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    All I've seen is the teaser, and although it looks kind of cool, I'll agree with you... underwhelming.

Probably just because I've been hearing about this for YEARS, and keep hearing about how it's supposed to be the most amazing CGI ever done. To me, it looked pretty much on par with Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith. Awesome CGI, but nothing I haven't seen before (and DEFINITELY not photo-realistic).

I think by the time December 18th rolls around, I'll already be sick of hearing about this film, due to the hype-fest that is about to begin.

I dont know - I watched the trailer and it looked pretty fantastic to me. Time will tell though fellas. I am a Cameron fan and yes I did enjoy the Titanic enough to go three times so I am very curious with what he has been working on all this time.
    Cheers

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Was the trailer in 3-D?

Hey Kater - I am not very tech savy but is that possible?

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No I didn't think so but wasn't entirely sure myself
    My brother's a big movie fan and gets several magazines including Empire, which had a great article on Avatar this month with Cameron stating that the only way to watch the movie, because of the effects, would be with 3-D glasses in the cinema. So I was wondering how much of the experience is lost with the trailer if it wasn't shown as it's meant to be.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post

Jaw-dropping 3D visuals.

Mark
    I've been waiting to see what some Brits would say. I was pumped when I saw the trailers, now I'm full-on psyched.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I've gotta say, I was more than ready to hate Avatar (primarily because of all the hype) but it is getting largely positive reviews, so I think I may check it out on the weekend.

Still, I've heard that the story is quite weak/predictable/unoriginal.

I have my AVATAR tickets for Sunday in 3-D. Cant wait.

Just saw Avatar, but only in the 2D format. While it looked amazing at first, particularly with the Na'vi culture and alien landscape, I found it's story wanting and riddled with too many bad cliches. A decent film but with all the money spent on it it, it felt incomplete imo. :(

I dont mind some cliches in a movie if the story is told well - we'll see. I'll let you know on Monday what I think. I am going in with an open mind.

the last movie i watched is 'new moon'...i've been waiting for this to be shown on cinemas...this one is much better than twilight i think it's because of the director...i love the fight scene of werewolfs...they reminded me of our dog..hehe
    Last edited by Rob B; December 19th, 2009 at 09:35 PM.

That is a very encouraging review for me Mark. My tickets are for the 3-D experience and from what you say that means it will be pretty spectacular. Cant wait - I have not been excited like this for a movie since ROTK.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Be very interested to compare notes, DD, when you've seen it.

Mark
    Mark

Saw Avatar (3D) today. Absolutely amazing. Loved it. Not sure about the 3D aspct though, I dont think my eyes are tuned for that! The glasses also made the screen abit dark...