Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Today is the day for AVATAR. If the snow doesn't keep me at home - damn it I already have the tickets. But a Nor Easter is blowing up the coast of the States and rolling into the Maratimes today. My AWD and snow tires will have to see me through. Think happy thoughts for me please!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel View Post
    Obvious political references to Cameron's feelings on the military, big corporations, and environmentalism are all there, but I was able to ignore most of it just to sit through the film. It could have been shorter too, which again confuses me, because with that much time you'd think he'd do something to fix the aforementioned issues.
    So you think film is just about film and the viewers' enjoyment and isn't supposed to have anything to say?

I was in the draft lottery for Vietnam. I failed to win an all expenses paid vacation there.

But I have talked to veterans who said they still don't understand what that war was about.

And I have worked for IBM and Xerox. A Xerox sales manager told me that he liked for his salemen to be in debt because it made them hustle. So that pencil necked jerk playing golf while deciding to send other people off to kill and die was totally relevant to me.

Maybe you should take a more cold and calculating look at the REAL WORLD. Then the messages in the fiction will seem more in touch with reality.

psik

I r curious cuttlefish BlueAngel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    So you think film is just about film and the viewers' enjoyment and isn't supposed to have anything to say?

I was in the draft lottery for Vietnam. I failed to win an all expenses paid vacation there.

But I have talked to veterans who said they still don't understand what that war was about.

And I have worked for IBM and Xerox. A Xerox sales manager told me that he liked for his salemen to be in debt because it made them hustle. So that pencil necked jerk playing golf while deciding to send other people off to kill and die was totally relevant to me.

Maybe you should take a more cold and calculating look at the REAL WORLD. Then the messages in the fiction will seem more in touch with reality.

psik
    Hey, don't take offense so easily. I never said a film shouldn't have anything to say. The aforementioned issues I was talking about were the plot and poorly developed characters. That was what I thought could've been executed better for all that money and time.

I had family who died in the Vietnam war who I never got the chance to meet, and I have a brother in the Navy, who I worry about whenever he goes off on missions. So war could potentially hit pretty close to home, but I guess that doesn't cut for you. I do live in the REAL WORLD, but this is a discussion about a very fictional movie. I have a right to criticize it if I want to.

~Angela

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have a right to criticize it if I want to.
    Absolutely.

psik: your post above is a post that, intentional or not, comes across as over-aggressive and deliberately/provocatively argumentative.

I'd like to think it's not meant that way, but sometimes your posts just seem to want to provoke argument rather than actually discuss with others opinions different to your own.

What with that and the INSISTENCE ON CAPITALS IN EVERY POST, YOU KNOW, WHEN YOU COULD JUST MAKE THE POINT JUST AS EASILY by keeping it lower case... it's starting to give the impression that your posts limit discussion rather than allow others to join in.

Or perhaps its just the Brit in me. My point really is that if it is deliberate, please try not to. If i'm wrong, apologies.

Back to topic: The second watch was actually pretty good too. The youngest Hobbitette on his first viewing proclaimed it 'the best film he'd seen ever', which, although being only 13, includes all of the Lord of the Rings films and most genre blockbusters of the last seven or so years.

Easily pleased, or a sign that Cameron is catering for the future market?

Mark
    Last edited by Hobbit; December 20th, 2009 at 02:23 PM.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Absolutely.

psik: your post above is a post that, intentional or not, comes across as over-aggressive and deliberately/provocatively argumentative.
    How was I disputing anyone's right to criticize?

My very first sentence in that post was a question. I confess that being aggressive with words is an absurdity in my opinion.

A Brit wrote this at me years ago and I saved it because I found it so hilarious:
    Anon is correct about depreciation and about your desperate need for formal education. Depreciation is well known to economists, especially as it is applied to transports. You may be referring to planned obsolesence but that to is Economics 101. You are extremely confused, about many things.

I have read many of your comments and you demonstrate a consistent lack of disciplined knowledge, training or experience. You try to give people the impression that you are intellectual or well read but to all of us with academic degrees you are blatantly uneducated and sadly ignorant. You may be a nice guy in real life but you are still a virtual fraud perpetrating a ego-driven hoax.

Your remarks about depreciation are completely off the mark and show you have no formal education in economics, or you have not been aboe to comprehend what you might have read or heard about it. Your remarks about Linux and Africa shows you are completely dumbfounded by the compexity of the interdisciplinary subject of technology transfer, macroeconomics, and international business. You simply do not know what you are talking about. You are painfully lame.

If you spent half as much of your time in this forum as you do daily trying to bullshit people as you would by studying and training at a formal institution you could attain a level of competence that would add crediblity to your remarks.

You expose yourself as a pathetic and weak person who uses the Internet and this forum as an escape from your reality that is no doubt a life long struggle with personal failures.

By no means am I suggesting to you to cease your compulsive inane commenting. What you do with your time and your computer is your business. I just want you to know that there are people who read you who know how bankrupt you are of ideas and how little you "really" know about anything.

Think before you write and be careful what you say. The people who massage your ego in the forum are people with lives as deferred and as failed as your own. There is nothing to take comfort in by impressing the impressionable. You certainly do not impress me or others who exist substantially above the minimum wage marker.

However, if your goal is to be a carnival barker selling snake oils over the Internet, or to be another forum sideshow freak, or if your goal is to graduate from clown school with an Associate Degree in Classic Buffoonery, then by all means carry on the way you have been.

psik

Blog Entries
    Again, just to clarify: I don't think I was disputing the right to criticise but instead making the point that the tone of your post gives an impression that limits others in discussing these things with you.

It gives an impression, as I said, rightly or wrongly, that discourages further discussion - the antithesis of discussion forums.

As for your other comment, I'll just point out that I don't think we'd disagree with Think before you write and be careful what you say. We encourage thoughtful and meaningful discussion at SFFWorld, and so many misunderstandings occur simply because people don't realise that things may sound different to others than the way they were intended.

I wouldn't, of course, claim that you or I were any of the other things you mention.

However, I will say that keeping it civil seems to work for us here at SFFWorld, and most of us seem happy with that. Keeping it the way it has been, indeed.

Mark
    Last edited by Hobbit; December 20th, 2009 at 03:24 PM.
    Mark

I saw AVATAR last night and it was awesome. The effects and visuals were brilliant. It suggests to me that anything conceivable to the human imagination is now capable of being brought to life. That is a very good thing. The 3-D took it that one step further. I felt a little anxious more then once with some of the heights.

As for the story - in my opinion it was solid. More then enough to hook me and make me care about the characters and what was happening to them. It was a story that seems very rooted in the experience and themes of our time.

The acting was also good. Especially from the blue folk. I got choked up a couple of times. That does not happen to me very much anymore. And coming away from the movie with that having happened makes me give it a 5/5. I want to see it again. I have not wanted to nor seen a movie more then once in the theater since LOTR.

Lastly - I loved the science fiction elements. I mean wow - people who can link to the animals and even the planet through some biological means. Cool. A planet that is very much alive and rallies to its own defence. Cool. It made me think of our pretty blue world and what a mess we are making of it.

Anyway - I reccomend it to all. At the end of the day it was just one Hell of a movie. Thanks James Cameron.

Blog Entries
    I want to see it again. I have not wanted to nor seen a movie more then once in the theater since LOTR.
    Yes, I was thinking that. and it's a useful comparison, as I hadn't realised until watching the credits first time through that part of the special effects team is Weta, who, of course, developed the SFX for LotR.

I should've realised, looking at some of those cavalry charges in the latter part of the movie.

Mark
    Mark

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Yes, I was thinking that. and it's a useful comparison, as I hadn't realised until watching the credits first time through that part of the special effects team is Weta, who, of course, developed the SFX for LotR.

I should've realised, looking at some of those cavalry charges in the latter part of the movie.

Mark
    Yeah, Weta definitely did a great job with Avatar. I thought the creatures and the motion capture often looked more real and seamless than in Lord of the Rings (e.g. the blue aliens were more realistic than Gollum).

I think we're going to get some pretty amazing effects on The Hobbit in two years.
    Last edited by Evil Agent; December 21st, 2009 at 02:56 PM.

That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw a trailer and heard about the story -- FernGully. Not that FernGully was that awful. Robin Williams made an excellent bat. But there's just nothing in the Avatar story that interests me. I've often been dazzled by Cameron's effects. The liquid uses in Abyss and Terminator 2 were amazing, the sinking of Titanic was extremely well done. But this one I'm actually reluctant to try just based on the promise of effects. And I don't like 3-D glasses even when it's good effects. I probably am going to see it, though, as the rest of my family wants to go, so I'll save full judgment for then.

Yea Evil I think we are going to be in for quite a treat with Hobbit. The technology behind the visual effects just keeps pushing the boundaries. I was blown away during Avatar - despite the alien world it all looked so real. Me thinks the future is bright for fantasy type movies in the future if "they" pick the right stories. Maybe lay off movies based on toys. Hmmm?

Blog Entries
    Think I need to revise my earlier comment: perhaps I was wrong. I'm getting the impression that there may be an awful lot of people who, like me, are actually going to see the film more than once. Psikey's mentioned that he wouldn't mind, and there's an awful lot of comments around the Internet saying the same.

This worked with Titanic. Still don't think Avatar has the broader appeal of Titanic, though it's good to see that people are going back.

I understand the taking for first showings were massive, though, frankly, they will have to be, to make up some of that enormous cost.

But i do think it's going to be one of those films, like LotR, like Star Wars that, despite all its weaknesses, you will remember going to see at the cinema.

Can't complain with that.

Mark
    Mark

I'm getting the impression that there may be an awful lot of people who, like me, are actually going to see the film more than once.
    How can you not like a movie where Ripley, of all people, tells a Macho Marine to RUN!

The irony is just too funny.

psik

saw avatar on thursday.
    loved it; i was expecting good looking dross, but couldn't have been more wrong! and like you hobbit, i've never had much luck with 3-D, being very short sighted, and having use of only one eye, but it worked.
    i am gonna force my girlfriend to see it: she hates sci fi, but i known she'll enjoy it.
    it had cheese but not so much i felt like cringing, and yes seeing sigurney tell a marine to run, brought back memories of aliens for me too!

Saw it yesterday and have to say it's a very good movie. The story is predictable, but the execution is not as bad as some have made it out to be. In that regard think of that other Cameron movie Titanic. Now that I bring up the comparison maybe it might turn out to be that while Titanic was a girl movie this might be more of a guy movie and turn off those not into razzle dazzle CGI and tribal alien clans although maybe there are too many mother earth moments for that comparison to hold. To say it was merely a movie version of a video game would be to do the movie a disservice but for those inclined they still probably won't be able to totally separate the two. Fantasy and science fiction fans shouldn't have a hard time enjoying it though.