Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Dune-If you do not include this in the top 10 you are crazy.
    There are a number of books of which I'm not a big fan. I'm in the minority in many of these. Dune is one of them. I thought it was about as overrated as a book can be. That's not say it's a bad book at all, but the level of praise it gets, in my opinion, is overblown. I thought the story was rambling, and the prose was mediocre. It might be that I would have enjoyed it more when it came out, but now, with so much SF out there to hold it against I didn't think it was all that strong. I'd say it's a good three star book, but not much more. I found myself just pushing to finish it at the end. (Another of the SF Mount Rushmore that I'm not a big fan of is Ender's Game.)

Man of Ways and Means kennychaffin's Avatar
    Ender's Game was a good short story. As is the case with many ss->novel expansions, it should have been left alone.

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/stories/enders-game.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by kennychaffin View Post
    Ender's Game was a good short story. As is the case with many ss->novel expansions, it should have been left alone.

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/stories/enders-game.shtml
    I liked the Ender's Game novel significantly more than the Short Story, but to each his/her own.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As an aside, here's a list from Locus, 1975. (So it doesn't include anything in the last 30 -odd years or so.)

But it might get people thinking of which 'classics' have remained best of, so to speak.

1. Dune: Frank Herbert
    2. Childhood's End: Arthur C. Clarke
    3. Left Hand of Darkness: Ursula K le Guin
    4. Stranger in a Strange Land: Robert A Heinlein
    5. A Canticle for Leibowitz: Walter M Miller
    6. Foundation Trilogy:Isaac Asimov
    7. The Stars My Destination: Alfred Bester
    8. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress: Robert A Heinlein
    9. More Than Human: Theodore Sturgeon
    10: Lord of Light: Roger Zelazny

Interesting to see how many of those have remained in people's top 10 lists, even though there's been a lot more books since then...

Mark
    Last edited by Hobbit; April 10th, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bearcatmark View Post
    1. Hyperion
    2. Ender's Game
    3. Use of Weapons
    4. Dune
    5. Speaker for the Dead

6. A Fire Upon the Deep
    7. A Deepness in the Sky
    8. Snowcrash
    9. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
    10. Illium

Honorable Mention: The Windup Girl, Surface Detail, Consider Phlebas, Look to Windword, Brave New World, Old Man's War.
    Good list. Mine is very similar. I would have Surface Detail and Consider Phlebus on the list in place of the two ender books. And I'd find a place for Chasm City and the Nights Dawn trilogy.

Problem one with the original list (and a common complaint with sf/f top book lists) there are more than 10 books. Foundation Trilogy is three books not one. Time Machine and War of the Worlds are two books not one. Hence the list is the Top 13. Then you have to consider having listed the Foundation books separately as to whether they all, or even any one, belong on the list as separate novels in their own right.

Problem two is indeed the time element. It is all very well as pointed out to say that books need time to become established/recognised as being amongst the canon of all time greats, however there are definitely books beyond the OP date that qualify as has been pointed out. And that does not include the Mars Trilogy.

Apart from that the listing is no more subjective and choice flawed than every other such list I have read.

Cheers
    Lee

Put me on the list of people who wouldn't even have Hitchhiker's Guide in their top 100.

I think more in terms of favourite authors rather than novels when I'm making a list. My top 10 most read SF books would all be anthologies, so for novels, I'm just listing some that I either have read over and over, or ones that made a lasting impression on me.

These two are the ones I try to get my non SF reading friends to read:

Cordelia's Honor
    Ender's Game (although Shadow is my favourite book of that series)

The Fondation Trilogy
    The Martian Chronicles
    Calculating God
    A Canticle for Leibowitz
    The Forever War
    Rendevous With Rama
    More Than Human
    To Say Nothing of the Dog (I liked it more than Doomsday Book)

I just finished The Rediscovery of Man- I love Cordwainer Smith's stories. They are unlike any others.

My copy of The Past Through Tomorrow, by Heinlein, has been read until it has fallen apart.

Quote Originally Posted by EllenS View Post
    Put me on the list of people who wouldn't even have Hitchhiker's Guide in their top 100.

Cheers, Applause, Fireworks.

People who call that "great science fiction" make less sense than Harry Potter lovers.

Cordelia's Honor
    Ender's Game (although Shadow is my favourite book of that series)

The Fondation Trilogy
    The Martian Chronicles
    Calculating God
    A Canticle for Leibowitz
    The Forever War
    Rendevous With Rama
    More Than Human
    To Say Nothing of the Dog (I liked it more than Doomsday Book)
    I would have Far-Seer instead of Calculating God. But I really could not make a list of ten. I just reread A Canticle for Leibowitz. I haven't read it in decades.

psik
    Last edited by psikeyhackr; April 29th, 2012 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post

Cheers, Applause, Fireworks.
    Last week I nearly clocked someone in my writers group who said what I had written, and just read out to the group, reminded her of the "Hitch-Hikers Time Machine Book - or whatever it was called." Luckily for me (and her) she was the other side of a large table.

After the meeting I spent a while kicking the idea of 'The Hitch-Hikers Time Machine' around in my head - until I realised it was called 'Doctor Who'. So I stopped.

I think Hyperion, Dune, and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, are among the best science fiction books I've ever read, but I am glad there are people who would agree with me while also rating the books I really did not enjoy; Ender's Game, Stranger in a Strange Land, and Snow Crash.

I think it would be sad if there was a top ten we could all agree on.

I think listing your own personal favourites is less contentious than stating what you think the best ten ever are - but anything that stimulates constructive discussion on a forum is good, no matter how many times it's come up, IMHO.

I got some good tips here for books to try out in the future. If somebody likes Dune and thinks Ender's Game blows, I trust their judgement.

While we're on the subject, I have been eyeing up The Fall of Hyperion in my to-read pile since I finished Hyperion. I really loved Hyperion, I'm afraid to read the sequel..
    Last edited by spiralguru3d; May 1st, 2012 at 04:19 AM.

Man of Ways and Means kennychaffin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralguru3d View Post

While we're on the subject, I have been eyeing up The Fall of Hyperion in my to-read pile since I finished Hyperion. I really loved Hyperion, I'm afraid to read the sequel..
    Fear is good, it saves us from death.

I got some good tips here for books to try out in the future. If somebody likes Dune and thinks Ender's Game blows, I trust their judgement.

I liked Dune and Ender's Game but preferred Ender's.

There were individual stories of the pilgrims that I found very appealing and the writing is good but overall Hyperion is not my kind of book. I read it because it is one of those books you hear about a lot and so many people say it is great. I did not intend to read the second book but I was annoyed that the story was not resolved. The Fall of Hyperion is not a sequel. It is the 2nd half of a single book. And no it is not as good as the first half.

The 2nd and 3rd books of Old Man's War are real sequels and the politics in more interesting and reasonable than Hyperion's.

There is what I call Literary Science Fiction and Didactic Science Fiction. Joanna Russ came up with the Didactic. Hyperion is literary. Dune is more literary than didactic.

http://www.depauw.edu/sfs/backissues/6/russ6art.htm

psik
    Last edited by psikeyhackr; May 1st, 2012 at 10:00 AM.

I think it would be sad if there was a top ten we could all agree on.
    I think we need categories so readers can figure out which they prefer. This star rating system just does not cut it.

psik

Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    I think we need categories so readers can figure out which they prefer. This star rating system just does not cut it.

psik
    I agree with this. Seriously I do not see any reason why SF/F is constantly linked. Even the Hugo's mix these categories and it is a mix, they are very separate in my mind. Some works do crossover but that seems more a situation found on the Fantasy side.

I love American Gods, have read it several times but it has no relation to science fiction. I love Old Man's War, but it has no relation to fantasy (discounting the creation of potentially plausible technology as a form of fantasy).

Harry Potter? Good books to read for fun, no serious head scratching and fine for what they are YA fantasy. A Hugo winner? Not in my mind (though a fact nonetheless).

Here are the best of the rest (or at least some of the rest. If I thought longer about it there would probably be some others).
    Mostly I was looking for good books from the last 15 years or so.
    This list is not exhaustive. On the other hand I do not really read as much scifi as maybe some other genres (esp. fantasy).

The Forever War - Haldeman
    The Warrior’s Apprentice - Bujold
    Integral Trees – Larry Niven
    To Your Scattered Bodies Go – Farmer
    The Mote in Gods Eye - Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
    Doorways in the Sand – Zelazny
    Altered Carbon – Morgan 2002
    The Forever Peace – Haldeman 1998
    To Say Nothing of the Dog – Willis 1999

The Wanderer – Lieber
    The Way Station – Simak
    Speaker for the Dead – Card
    Hominids – Sawyer 2003
    The Uplift War – Brin
    A Deepness in the Sky – Vinge 2000
    The City & the City – Mi้ville 2011
    Eifelheim – Flynn 2007

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay 2000 – Chabon (not really scifi but kind of sort of and better than The Yiddish Policemen's Union)
    Insert anything by Vonnegut if you count him.