Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: H.P. Lovecraft

Hybrid View

H.P. Lovecraft

I welcome myself to the new Horror Board!

So. A topic to start with: What's your opinion about H.P. Lovecraft's work? Chtulhu, Dreamlands, etc...

[This message has been edited by Bardos (edited May 01, 2001).]

I've only read one of H. P Lovecraft's books, and that must have been more than 20 years ago. I can't even remember the title now, or much of what it was about!

I still have to get Best of H.P. Lovecraft : Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre back from a friend. Some great stuff in it! Nothing like reading a Lovecraft story in the middle of the night in a thunderstorm while listening to Ozzy's older stuff.... nice and creepy!

I greatly enjoy Lovecraft, expecially all of his Cthulhu Mythos stuff, I thought the Dreamlands were still good, but personally, I would take Great Cthulhu over Randolph Carter any day.

Those of you who like Chtulhu will enjoy this site: http://www.eerie.fr/~alquier/HPL/azif/n_index.html

My favorite was "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath"

I couldn`t get enough Lovecraft when I was young, although his works don`t age well. He is, however, one of the most important influences on horror writing of the 20th century, and as such all respect to the man.

I think my favourite Lovecraft stories are the ones set in Innsmouth.

All of Lovecraft's work - FREE
    http://www.gizmology.net/lovecraft/

H.P. Lovecraft is probably the horror author who's works I have read the most. I became interested because my brothers used to play a "Call of Cthulu" roll playing game! I watched them play one time and I thought I might like to read "The Call of Cthulu" . So I did!

Anyway, I also really liked "Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath". I think my favorite story is "The Dunwich Horror".

H.P. Lovecraft is one of the reasons that my BF and I had such a great first date and are still together 2 years later. A lot of scotch drinking helped, too!

My favorites of his are "Whisperer in Darkness" and of course "Call of Cthulhu." He had his faults, but he was seminal to the genre.

The Nimblewill Library for the Aesthetically Impoverished
    For me the most memorable ones were "The Call of Cthulhu" (of course!) and "The Colour out of Space", which is one of the creepiest stories ever. I know HPL was terrible at dialogue and characterization, but he still should be recommended reading for anyone interested in the horror genre.

Tanith

I have never read any Lovecraft. What's a good title to start with?

Susan

I believe Del Rey has been reprinting anthologies of his short stories, including a "Best of..." collection. Lovecraft wrote both Mythos and non-Mythos horror stories, but it is the Mythos stories, which are thematically linked but can be read independently of one another, for which he's best known. The better known Mythos stories include "The Dunwich Horror", "The Thing on the Doorstep", "The Call of Cthulhu", "The Whisperer in Darkness" and (what many consider his best story) "The Shadow out of Time". Those stories, together with "The Color out of Space", which folks argue as to whether it is Mythos-related or not, should be included in any Lovecraft anthology worth reading.

At the Mountains of Madness scared the bejezus out of me. Totally sucked in and believing while reading, that's rare for me. Heck, I believed the Necronomicon existed, and I even called bookstores looking for a copy. I didn't want to call up the Old Ones -- I just wanted to see it.

The Dunwich Horror is a favorite too.

Haven't tried to read him for a long time though, and after 20 or 30 years of reading modern stuff, I don't know that I'd appreciate it as much as when I was a kid.

Oh, and Bardos - welcome to the Horror section.