Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: H.P. Lovecraft

Had a crazy experience to "The Mountains of Madness". Read that story during a wind storm, and when I got to the climax, the fireplace burst into flame!

Haven't had that kind of scare since watching "The Haunting", and having all the lights go out!

Lovecraft still the best at getting a scare out of me!

I think Lovecraft is still THE master of the genre.

I finished reading "The Best of H.P. Lovecraft" earlier today. My favourite story was "The Thing on the Doorstep".

Just a couple of questions.

Is there any story in which Lovecraft doesn't use the word "Cyclopean"?

Which are the best "Cthulu Mythos" stories written by other authors?

Unfortunately most Mythos stories just aren't that good.

Arkham House did a good collection called Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos which was prerinted recently by Del Rey in paperback.

I believe Del Rey has also reprinted the Arkham House collection Cthulhu 2000, which contains more recent stories and is also good.

Golden Gryphon has a hardcover collection called Eternal Lovecraft which is woth reading. Makes sense, as it was edited by the late Jim Turner, who moved from editing Arkham House to Golden Gryphon and while he was at AH did the collections I mention above.

The king of Mythos stories publishers is Chaosium, for which editor Robert Price has done a number of paperbacks with titles like "The Cthulhu Cycle, "The Hastur Cycle", "The Innsmouth Cycle", etc. A mixed bag, some good stories, some no more than fan fiction.

Robert Price also edited for Fedogan & Bremer three hardcover anthologies, The Lovecraft Circle (early mythos stories), The New Lovecraft Circle (later mythos stories) and the new Acolytes of Cthulhu. F&B also have an anthology of Innsmouth based stories.

One suggestion: avoid any of Derleth's stories. He was a much better editor than author.

Susan :
    take any title with 'Ctulhu' in it. Shuddering and unspeakable horror, sleepless nights and a vacant look in your eyes guaranteed ! Enjoy !

Shouldn't be too complicated, seeing as there's only one Lovecraft story with "Cthulhu" in the title.

Really ?
    But there are several ones with Ctulhu in it, aren't there ?
    I am almost I have read several of them, or else it has made such a strong impression on me that I thought I had read several.

There are certainly many where Cthulhu is mentioned, but only in "The Call of Cthulhu" is it part of the title.

I actually do have the necronomicon. In paperback, no less. The 'have your enemies explode into pillars of flame' spell really came in useful when I was high school (or dutch equivalent)

I like the Case of Charles Dexter Ward and At the Mountains of Madness. Although, truthfully, I can't really think of one I hated.

Dagon has most recently been released as a film, and At the Mountains of Madness is on the boards. If done well, that would truly be disturbing.

I grew up very near Lovecraft's references for Arkham Asylum and Innsmouth. The asylum is now a long abandoned multi-towered, Victorian era mental institution - every bit as creepy as you might imagine.

One of the masters of paranoid fear.

Hmm. There are no references to an Arkham Asylum in Lovecraft, that's a concept out of Batman. I believe there's one story that makes reference to a sanitarium and it's set in Arkham (Lovecraft's preferred fictional town setting), and there's another that referes to the Danvers asylum. The latter is a real place, and perhaps the one you're mentioning.

Apologies,

nothing quite like muddying the waters. Yes, the old Danvers State Hospital is the building I was referring to.

Urm... copyright?

Originally posted by Bardos
    All of Lovecraft's work - FREE
    http://www.gizmology.net/lovecraft/

I'm not sure about this, but I know Arkham House still holds the copyright on some of this material, so we shouldn't be promoting a site that is in violation to the law...

Can we kill this post?

Basically everything he's done is great. He's consistently pretty brilliant.