Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stargate Universe

I was never a big fan of the Stargate franchise, but the latest series looks intriguing. It's not out yet, but I was wondering what people think.

Story isn't too original but it's nice to see a science fiction series on TV again.

I plan on watching it, but I am not sure about the concept. I've never liked 'stranded in space' stories and Voyager kind of...proved me right. But we'll see. I'm *certainly* not dismissing it before watching it.

Especially as I'm annoyed about the lack of real science fiction on TV right now.

I liked the movie but never go into any of the shows. That said, this one seems like it is fairly stand alone and will fill my scifi (or rather SyFy) fix on Fridays. Also, John Scalzi is a creative consultant which can only be a good thing.

Big Fan of the Stargate universe franchise, can't wait for it to begin.

Real science fiction? Do you mean that there isn't enough hard sci fi or not enough space opera or what?

I've been watching that Defying Gravity show with my girlfriend. It is Grey's Anatomy type drama stuff most of the time but very much couched in pretty hard sci-fi. They seem to be foreshadowing some sort of weirdness though, something like an alien or an AI or something. Fringe is a pretty awesome sci-fi show too.

Stargate kind of got it's tv following while I was on hiatus from watching tv for about 4 or 5 years. I might like it if I watched a bunch but it seems to have grown beyond my ability to catch up to.

Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    So now that the first 3 episodes have aired (episodes 1 and 2 shown back to back) what does everyone think?

It is clear that the creators have taken a leaf out of the post-Lost method of story telling - lots of flashbacks!

The production values are quite improved and it kinda does and doesn't feel like Stargate. The 3rd episode does feel more Stargate like - maybe because they travel through the gate.

Will be interested to see if we find out who attacked the base in the first place and if they'll be part of the bigger story.

Robert Carlye's character provides the most interest and Eli is a fun character, but hope he isn't there for just comic relief. The cameo's by SG1 team members was nice for the fans of the original series.

I completely forgot this aired! I'll have to grab the first 3 episodes and see what I think.

Watched all three episodes and have to say that it's not that bad. Only time will tell if the creaters of this can make it better or keep it at par.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I really enjoyed the first two episodes, I like the set-up, the cast seems well mixed and there's scope for some really good stories. However the third epsiode fell straight into the pat, formula-episode category that both SG-1 and Atlantis struggled with. Hopefully it isn't an indication of what is to come and they can avoid the mould of the previous series.

Just noticed I didn't answer a question aimed at me. Oops.

I mean by 'real science fiction' stuff that is set in the far future and involves space travel and aliens.

Don't get me wrong. I am the world's biggest Dollhouse fan...but that's cyberpunk. I've got quite into Warehouse 13...but that's pulp. Sanctuary is even MORE pulp. Heroes is, of course, supers (and getting finny lately, IMO, sigh, that show had SO much potential).

I've been craving something in the Stargate/Star Trek/Babylon 5 tradition.

Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    Heroes is a lost cause for me. Gave up about half way into the 3rd episode of this season. Dollhouse... I just don't get it at all.

Just a minor Stargate: U spoiler, at the end of the 3rd episode did anyone notice the small ship detach from the Destiny? That was a nice little thing to hang off the end of the episode.

This is the first time I've seen Dollhouse called cyberpunk. The story doesn't really involve a decadent neo-future setting, it doesn't involve AI and is more about identity exchange than hacking, per se.

What would you class it as, then, Rob?

(I personally think that it is a form of cyberpunk because so much of cyberpunk is about *identity*)

I'd classify Dollhouse as near future SF with a lot of other stuff thrown into the mix like cyberpunk, but not explicitly cyberpunk. We are splitting the proverbial hair, aren't we?

I agree, Wulfa_Jones. That little ship in the end leaves us with alot of questions. Like Friend or Foe. Was it this ship part of the race or spiecie that attacked the ancient ship. And so on. Can't wait for next episode.