Hybrid View

Stargate Universe

I was never a big fan of the Stargate franchise, but the latest series looks intriguing. It's not out yet, but I was wondering what people think.

Story isn't too original but it's nice to see a science fiction series on TV again.

I plan on watching it, but I am not sure about the concept. I've never liked 'stranded in space' stories and Voyager kind of...proved me right. But we'll see. I'm *certainly* not dismissing it before watching it.

Especially as I'm annoyed about the lack of real science fiction on TV right now.

I liked the movie but never go into any of the shows. That said, this one seems like it is fairly stand alone and will fill my scifi (or rather SyFy) fix on Fridays. Also, John Scalzi is a creative consultant which can only be a good thing.

Big Fan of the Stargate universe franchise, can't wait for it to begin.

Real science fiction? Do you mean that there isn't enough hard sci fi or not enough space opera or what?

I've been watching that Defying Gravity show with my girlfriend. It is Grey's Anatomy type drama stuff most of the time but very much couched in pretty hard sci-fi. They seem to be foreshadowing some sort of weirdness though, something like an alien or an AI or something. Fringe is a pretty awesome sci-fi show too.

Stargate kind of got it's tv following while I was on hiatus from watching tv for about 4 or 5 years. I might like it if I watched a bunch but it seems to have grown beyond my ability to catch up to.

Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    So now that the first 3 episodes have aired (episodes 1 and 2 shown back to back) what does everyone think?

It is clear that the creators have taken a leaf out of the post-Lost method of story telling - lots of flashbacks!

The production values are quite improved and it kinda does and doesn't feel like Stargate. The 3rd episode does feel more Stargate like - maybe because they travel through the gate.

Will be interested to see if we find out who attacked the base in the first place and if they'll be part of the bigger story.

Robert Carlye's character provides the most interest and Eli is a fun character, but hope he isn't there for just comic relief. The cameo's by SG1 team members was nice for the fans of the original series.

small spoilers

small spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by creemore View Post
    I was never a big fan of the Stargate franchise, but the latest series looks intriguing. It's not out yet, but I was wondering what people think.

Story isn't too original but it's nice to see a science fiction series on TV again.

I have the same exact feelings.

Although i am a little let down by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I liked the movie but never go into any of the shows. That said, this one seems like it is fairly stand alone and will fill my scifi (or rather SyFy) fix on Fridays. Also, John Scalzi is a creative consultant which can only be a good thing.

That's how I see almost all syfy and fantasy on tv. Looking forward to V though.

[QUOTE=Wulfa_Jones;545134

Just a minor Stargate: U spoiler, at the end of the 3rd episode did anyone notice the small ship detach from the Destiny? That was a nice little thing to hang off the end of the episode.[/QUOTE]

I thought that was very clear and you know it will play a part.... i just wander if they think they already have a fan base. I need some kind of action or brain food... Althought it is kind of cool seeing a pure sci fi show on .... a little dust devil doesn't cut it.

I do like the talk about sun's and slingshots, but tbh its not 2001, it stargate. That mean's other world's people's and culture's. Other aliens? idk mybe i have lost the greek in be because of all the crappy tv recently
    Last edited by Rilzik; October 28th, 2009 at 11:51 PM.

Honestly...I'm watching this, but it has a major flaw to me.

A major one.

All of the decisions are being made by...the SHIP. The characters have no ability to alter their own destiny, and the ship is even CALLED Destiny.

I'm not sure I'm interested in continuing with a story in which the protagonists can only react, not act.

That's how I see almost all syfy and fantasy on tv. Looking forward to V though.
    When I think about the new V, I can't help but to shudder in horror at the thought that they're remakeing one of my favorite old shows. If they ruin it than alot of people will hate ABC even more.

On to SGU, I like it so far. If there is little to no action it does'nt bother me that much, my favorite part of SG-1 was the plot and back story anyway. And for those who say that there is'nt any back story in SGU are wrong, the history of the Anchients is brought up on a reguler basis.

Kyn,

(P.S. Did anyone else notice that O'Neill put on some weight or what?)