Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    No mention of it in last nights episode... think it was more of a character building episode than anything else.

Think they need to inject a bit of action into the series... SG1 and Atlantis where very much action based shows and we don't really have much in the way of sci-fi action shows.

Has to be able to mix this character drama based stuff with a bit of action!

Not sure why they didn't explore that small ship breaking off and flying away in the newest Ep. Maybe it was a plot they decided not to follow through on, but what I suspect is 1 of 2 things:

1. It was actually dropping off to pick up the two people that went through the gate to one of the other planets, OR

2. It's got something to do with collecting power or whatever for Ep5 (though I think this is more remote as I think the power thing will be solved by flying into the sun or something.

Anyway, I like the more mature nature of this one compared to Atlantis but I'd like it to go to the BSG level of "adultness" and still maintain the classic SG humour - if that's even possible.

I new the ship would some how use the sun to power it!! Solar powered FTL spaceship, Cool!!

As a die-hard SG-1 fan: like the story so far (except for the whole 'this-series-is-not-like-the-previous-two-so-we-didn't-feel-like-fitting-in-more-background-detail-so-as-not-to-scare-off-new-viewers-and-also-to-have-room-for-more-angst' part, of course), dislike the characters.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I actually think the lack of background detail is intentional and one of the stronger aspects, it feels like you're discovering the ship with the group. So then details and information about the group spill out as we get to see more of them, we're all learning as we go so to speak.

I caught up with the series over the past few days on my cable's ON DEMAND and I like the show. I do notice the camera shots have that jittery BSG effect going on. I like Carlyle as the mad doctor, he does well as the angry genius. Eli (the young everyman point man of the show) is pretty good too, he hasn't yet crossed over into annoying.

The ladies are well played too (and easy on the eyes). Overall, I'll be watching.

Well, I guess not everyone was chosen to be an SG-1 fan

Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I caught up with the series over the past few days on my cable's ON DEMAND and I like the show. I do notice the camera shots have that jittery BSG effect going on. I like Carlyle as the mad doctor, he does well as the angry genius. Eli (the young everyman point man of the show) is pretty good too, he hasn't yet crossed over into annoying.

The ladies are well played too (and easy on the eyes). Overall, I'll be watching.
    I might be wrong, but I am sure that jittery camera work started off, in sci-fi programming anyway, in Space Above and Beyond?

The female cast is pretty easy on the eye, certainly the "sexiest" Stargate series to date - no offence to Amanda Tapping!

RE: Shaky Cam, I didn't thing BSG was the first to do it, but coincidentally enough SyFy is airing SGU at the same time on the same day and with a similar darker tone...

small spoilers

small spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by creemore View Post
    I was never a big fan of the Stargate franchise, but the latest series looks intriguing. It's not out yet, but I was wondering what people think.

Story isn't too original but it's nice to see a science fiction series on TV again.

I have the same exact feelings.

Although i am a little let down by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I liked the movie but never go into any of the shows. That said, this one seems like it is fairly stand alone and will fill my scifi (or rather SyFy) fix on Fridays. Also, John Scalzi is a creative consultant which can only be a good thing.

That's how I see almost all syfy and fantasy on tv. Looking forward to V though.

[QUOTE=Wulfa_Jones;545134

Just a minor Stargate: U spoiler, at the end of the 3rd episode did anyone notice the small ship detach from the Destiny? That was a nice little thing to hang off the end of the episode.[/QUOTE]

I thought that was very clear and you know it will play a part.... i just wander if they think they already have a fan base. I need some kind of action or brain food... Althought it is kind of cool seeing a pure sci fi show on .... a little dust devil doesn't cut it.

I do like the talk about sun's and slingshots, but tbh its not 2001, it stargate. That mean's other world's people's and culture's. Other aliens? idk mybe i have lost the greek in be because of all the crappy tv recently
    Last edited by Rilzik; October 29th, 2009 at 12:51 AM.

Honestly...I'm watching this, but it has a major flaw to me.

A major one.

All of the decisions are being made by...the SHIP. The characters have no ability to alter their own destiny, and the ship is even CALLED Destiny.

I'm not sure I'm interested in continuing with a story in which the protagonists can only react, not act.

That's how I see almost all syfy and fantasy on tv. Looking forward to V though.
    When I think about the new V, I can't help but to shudder in horror at the thought that they're remakeing one of my favorite old shows. If they ruin it than alot of people will hate ABC even more.

On to SGU, I like it so far. If there is little to no action it does'nt bother me that much, my favorite part of SG-1 was the plot and back story anyway. And for those who say that there is'nt any back story in SGU are wrong, the history of the Anchients is brought up on a reguler basis.

Kyn,

(P.S. Did anyone else notice that O'Neill put on some weight or what?)