Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leaving this forum because of thread NAZIS!!!!!

Well, I'm looking for a COMMUNITY instead of a dictatorship, so obviously this site is not for me. I posted a topic asking for book suggestions, listed some authors/books I liked, and soon my thread was closed, saying I should look at others suggestions in other threads (Which are somehow more valid to exist then mine). This is a book forum, that's the kind of questions asked. Everyone has a different taste in books, I don't want to slop through suggestions for Harry Potter and such when I'm looking for something completely different. I think the mods have a Mussolini complex, and therefore, I'm making my departure, as I'm sure 90% of the sign ups do

Thank you to the people who actually posted suggestions and were friendly, you don't deserve that kind of dictatorship. I'll be looking into the books I was recommended.

Here, here.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Bye bye now.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Heil Hobbit?
    Last edited by PeterWilliam; September 15th, 2009 at 04:10 PM.

You mean it wasn't Rob? I'm disappointed in him.

Oh no, wait, it was. Silly of me to imagine different!

I've seen lots of recommendation threads stay open, but those were threads where the criteria was specific. You mentioned several authors you liked but then said you "like pretty much any interesting fantasy and science fiction...mystery horror...pretty much anything anyone thinks is good".

If "pretty much anything anyone thinks is good" is your criteria, then the recommendation threads were the best place to start. Posters have gone to the trouble of sharing recommendations in those threads -- why not use them? It's actually rather insulting to ignore them and start something new.

Umm... try not to let the door hit you in the arse on your way out? I'm sure you are eagerly waiting for some sort of vindication or apology before you go skipping away with a spring in your step for besting the evil fascist regime, so, you know, good luck with that.

AuntiePam has the right of. If you are looking for everyday recommendations, then why open a new thread. We have a pretty thorough one tacked on to the top of the board for that use. You won't get any sort of recommendation in your thread not listed in that one or any number of others.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not quite sure what this particular situation is. New to me as I've just got here.

However, I am sorry that you feel that you were harshly dealt with, zombiequeen.

I will agree with your point that we are a community, and usually such requests are dealt with politely.

As a counterpoint, I do know that when you get 20 or so statements like this a day, and usually by new members, it can be a nightmare to moderate, and can test the patience of the most mild mannered of member.

The other posts you refer to are perhaps 'more valid' than yours in the respect that they're probably asking the same question you have and it's been already been answered: thus you get a quicker response.

We also find that such posts usually get the same response. Again, one of the annoyances for some is that the question and the responses have been done before, ad infinitum. Actually looking at what's already on the website will usually answer most people's requests. Perhaps it is uncommon, but we like people to have a look around rather than just demand (even if it's polite!) immediate gratification for their own personal needs.

With such a large and complex site it can be difficult to see everything going on, admittedly. But if people think that there's answers out there they will point people in the general direction. Perhaps not all the answers you need are there, but they probably are. If they're not, then that's probably because we don't know enough about you to help you more fully. This is why the best answers work best when people have got to know you. And that's usually best served by letting people get to know you.

Some members do get very annoyed by dozens of posts which basically do nothing to contribute to the community you speak of, but instead take advantage of the community's goodwill. Don't get me wrong: Most of our members are happy to pass on their suggestions, their experiences and recommendations, and are frankly brilliant at it, and they do so with no thought of reply or reward.

But if we are a community, then surely part of being that community is to actually contribute in that community - you know, to actually communicate, discuss and join in with things already running rather than just turn up to the party and expect things.

Now, I'm not saying that that applies to you, zombiequeen, though you clearly feel that you've been harshly dealt with. But it does happen sometimes, and in return we do get members complain that there are so many requests for personal attention that they swamp anything else that happens to be going on.

I hope this has answered some of the issues here, and not specifically to your point, zombiequeen. I've tried to point out some of the wider issues that we usually come across.

We are a moderated site, and always have been. Usually this involves a fairly light touch because most of our members are excellent at keeping within our broad guidelines. However, I will accept that some may not like the situation and so may wish to go elsewhere.

As much as we would like to, we can't keep everyone happy all the time. That's not that we don't listen but sometimes we have to bow to the will of the majority.

Mark
    Mark

trolling > dissertation nquixote's Avatar
    I recommend this thread be banned.

To be fair your request was rather vague, "i want good fantasy, sci-fi etc, and this is who i have read", maybe it needed more dragons or elves..... you can never have to many dragons.

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrambles View Post
    To be fair your request was rather vague, "i want good fantasy, sci-fi etc, and this is who i have read", maybe it needed more dragons or elves..... you can never have to many dragons.
    No. It needs more cowbell.

[Gladiator]ARE YOU NOT COWBELL!!!??? [/Gladiator]

I'm still waiting for someone to leave claiming harassment/repression from the "board bourgeoisie." A man can dream, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Aldarion View Post
    I'm still waiting for someone to leave claiming harassment/repression from the "board bourgeoisie." A man can dream, no?
    haha that will be a fine day.