Thread: Flash Forward

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Flash Forward

We've had the first episode shown on national TV here in the UK this evening, which is pretty unusual as that makes us only about a week behind the US schedules.

So - that means I can join in with the conversations this time around!

My immediate thoughts were that it had a lot of Lost references (anyone else see the billboard for Oceanic Airlines in the background?) but has the makings already of a good series. I was surprised to see so many UK actors in it, and other faces I sort've recognised.

As long as it doesn't go too Soap-Opera-like, think it has the potential to be very good indeed. What did everyone else think?

Mark
    Mark

I enjoyed it a great deal, I think actors are very good in the roles and it seems to have a good 'reset' button built in for each season. I hadn't read teh book, so that might be to benefit.

I'll be watching on online, though since like half the other shows I want to watch, Flash Forward falls on a Thursday which is my bowling night.

I think Red Panda is another viral marketing brand in the series.

In the end, good stuff that should retain a lot of the Lost audience.

Blog Entries
    I watched this last night (Monday) and really liked it. It pulled me in and makes me want to see more. I just hope it doesn't turn out like Lost, and end up being dragged out for a ridiculously long period of time. The idea of it also reminded me of Heroes in a way.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Caught up to this today and was quite impressed, though it reminded me a LOT of New Universal. There were some cool scenes - when the detective realises he can verify the flashes by talking to the English detective to see if it was a shared reality. The idea they can build up a single, coherent possible picture for a day six months in the future is awesome. As was the hook for the next episode, even if it was a question I think most people were asking about halfway into the show. Thought it was portrayed that they were all a bit too accepting of the event and the idea of what they saw but otherwise it was an impressive set-up. My main concerns are that a.) it will now turn into a formulaic 'hunt for the clues on the board until a break through at the end of the season' b.) that what we saw of the board means the episodes are familiar and c.) that they don't fell the need to explain it away like LOST has done. This being prime time TV I'm not holding my breath for any of them. Crossing fingers we don't have to set up a death watch for the show 4-5 episodes down the line.

I loved the book by Robert J Sawyer, so it was a bit odd to see some of the differences (major one being the main character's occupation - I guess scientists are just less sexy than FBI detectives ). The book explains how the FlashForward happened, and a chunk of it was trying to figure out if they should replicate it - so that they could get another glimpse of the future, and another chunk of the book was about whether that future could be changed or not.

I missed the second episode, so here's hoping I can pick it up next week.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm very lucky in that I got a signed copy from Robert arrive this morning.

Going to be interesting to compare the two; however the line on the cover 'the basis for the TV series' leaves me under no illusions that it is different. ( I knew that already, but even so...)

Mark
    Mark

Earthman1
    I've watched the first two episodes. The FBI investigators (validly) attach a lot of importance to the guy being awake and moving around during the blackout event. But another question they should ask is why he was at the sports stadium at that time - it's like he wanted to be observed (if as they believe he is part of the conspiracy).
    A speculation I have about an event in second episode, that have put in spoiler tags in case some haven't seen that episode yet:
    Spoiler:
    In second episode it looks like they were set up so as to kill the paranoid individual who was doing his own investigation.

Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    Quite impressed that we in the UK are only 4 days behind the US. Clearly UK channels have realised that a gap of months between US and UK has a bad impact on the viewing figures due to downloading.

I really enjoyed Flash Forward so far, I don't think it has anything to do with the book really beyond the initial idea (I think in the book the flash forward was years rather than months).

I'll be interested to see how things develop and how the show will work over 5 years (that is the planned story arc). Will they have a flashforward once a season? Glad that it has already started to move along at a pace unlike Lost!