Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone like Musicals? What is your favorite?

I was listing my favorite movies on a different thread, when I realised that I like a few musicals as well and would list them as my favorites. Does anyone else? Well here are my favorites:

Polly & Polly 2 - (w/Phylicia Rashaad, Keisha Knight Pulliam)
    Sister Act & Sister Act 2
    Carmen: A Hip Hopera
    West Side Story
    Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
    The Wiz
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm (Shirley Temple)
    Anne (old one w/Carol Burnett)
    Mary Poppins
    Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

I know there is more, but this is what I can remember off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Tickle; March 3rd, 2009 at 05:23 AM.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show. 'Nough said.

I got excited when I saw the thread title. When I think of musicals, I think of those things where one goes off to the theater to see live actors and musicians entertain us in real time. So my favorites in that vein:

My Fair Lady (got to play for this one when the touring show stopped here a year and a half ago. It's always been one of my favorites, so it would extra-special to get to participate)
    Les Miserables
    Avenue Q
    Rent
    Spamalot (was really fun to see once...not sure it would hold up to seeing over and over like many others on the list)
    Into the Woods
    Yeston and Kopit's Phantom
    Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (if we insist that something that can be watched on a screen goes here)

I may add Miss Saigon to the list soon...I start rehearsals for that in a week and a half, it's by the same guys who did Les Mis, and I usually ending up liking shows after working on them.

I love the old musicals with song and dance numbers, such as those with Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire. (Brigadoon, Take Me Out to the Ballpark, Finian's Rainbow, are some examples).

But my favorite is probably the first play I ever saw -- Fiddler on the Roof. It was my brother's high school class play; I was four years old and absolutely mesmerized by it. The film with Topol is great, too. I don't think I've ever gotten over it.

Les Miserables
    Phantom of the Opera
    West Side Story
    Sweeney Todd
    Man of La Mancha
    Little Shop of Horrors
    Evita
    Chess
    Brigadoon
    My Fair Lady
    Oliver!
    South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut (don't tell me it's not a musical!)

Blog Entries
    I adore good musicals! I have had the good fortune of seeing the first on my list in a live production, at the old Saenger Theater in New Orleans. The rest, I've seen as films.

Les Miserables
    Phantom of the Opera
    West Side Story
    Sweeney Todd
    My Fair Lady
    Carousel
    Fiddler on the Roof
    The Sound of Music

Oh, and though I never saw it, I heard Across the Universe was a good musical. Did anyone see it?

Wow!! I can't believe I forgot Sound of Music and Little Shop of Horrors and I have these in my collection.

I would also have to say as far as actual live plays are concerned. I love all of Tyler Perry's Madea plays. I got to see Madea's Class Reunion live on stage and it was great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huike View Post
    Oh, and though I never saw it, I heard Across the Universe was a good musical. Did anyone see it?
    My daughter has been begging me to see that.

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    I have always loved musicals since I was a little kid. I can't sing a note and have always wanted to be able to. To just live life and break out in song every once in a while. Oh, and the song has to pertain to what is going on Here are some of my faves

The Sound of Music
    My Fair Lady
    Funny Girl (actually any of her musicals)
    Music Man
    West Side Story
    The King and I
    Hello Dolly
    Oklahoma(could have something to do with the fact I was born and raised there)
    And any of the Disney ones-have rewatched all of these and seen the new ones with my kids, and love them all

Like I said I love musicals and I know there are many others I love, just can't think of them off the top of my head.

The bird of Hermes FremenWarrior's Avatar

Cool

not of the traditional ilk of musicals but i particularly enjoyed the two Blues Brothers films (Dan Aykroyd/John Belushi) and the second one (Dan Aykroyd/John Goodman). despite the swearing and their gritty attitudes they have some great songs, great humor and a lot of fun. they always do good for the world, despite their excessive damage to other peoples property and numerous traffic violations eg. driving through a shopping mall. the films were really good fun.

Singin' in the Rain
    Chicago
    Newsies

I tend to think of film musicals.

Singin' in the Rain
    Yankee Doodle Dandy (yes, I know it was corny even when first made, and not at all accurate, but it's Cagney ... dancing)
    Band Wagon
    West Side Story

I tend to hate Rogers & Hammerstein musicals on film -- too stagey. Rogers and Hart, though, are fun.

Randy M.

i like...
    Nunsense
    Mammi Mia
    Wicked

I saw it and really enjoyed it. Also, while not exactly a musical... if you are a Beatles fan, the "Love" show at The Mirage in Las Vegas is a must see.

Other great musicals - some stage and some screen - in my humble opinion:

Moulin Rouge
    Rent
    Les Mis
    Godspell (I saw a great stage version that really reimagines the themes of the original story in a much stronger setting... that of a 60s sit-in... the ending scenes gave me chills. I wish this version was widely available, I would love to see it again.)
    Brigadoon
    Newsies (I didn't think anyone but me saw and liked that one!)
    And I know these aren't exactly musicals, but White Christmas and Pillow Talk (Doris Day, Rock Hudson - what more can you ask for?!) are both wonderful movies with lots of great music.