please help me remember

Hello and thanks to anyone ahead of time for your help.

I dont remember much about this book, but it was one that really got me started reading in the first place so I'd like to try and re-read it.

the main character i believe was a carpenter or something along those lines before he started practicing magic, several times he reflects on his old life during the book. i think he might have been kicked out of his wizard schooling. i remember he thought of a women he wasnt traveling with but had in the recent past(which makes me think this may have been a series). i believe in the start of the book he is traveling alone but is quickly joined by at least one character who is a swordsman or warrior. at the end of the book they fight in an old tower (abandoned and/ordamaged) against beings who can materialize out of nowhere. those last two things i am a bit unsure of. What i am most sure of is the fact the magic system has a quirk where every spell the main character casts drains his person and i believe he even passes out or comes close a couple of times (might also corrupt, but not sure). another thing i remember is the author actually wrote in parts of the spells as the characters dialogue when he would cast a spell instead of always writing "he cast the spell for...". I also remember the main characters main offensive spells was lighting bolts (cast it many times). Sorry its all so vague, i wrote everything i could think of in hopes that many vague things would add up to something. Thanks!!

Also should say i read this book over ten years ago, and i believe in paper back. The cover was rather plain with a short title (one or two words).
    Last edited by rcfuller000; October 1st, 2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: more info!

Some of what you describe makes me think of L.E. Modesitt's Recluce novels, but I am by no means certain that's what you're looking for.

although ive never read the recluce novels, after looking them up they in no way seem familiar..... thanks though!!

Quote Originally Posted by rcfuller000 View Post
    Hello and thanks to anyone ahead of time for your help.

I dont remember much about this book, but it was one that really got me started reading in the first place so I'd like to try and re-read it.

the main character i believe was a blacksmith or carpenter or something along those lines before he started practicing magic. i believe he loved a women he couldnt be with (which makes me think this may have been a series). i believe in the start of the book he is traveling alone but is quickly joined by at least one character who is a swordsman or warrior. at the end of the book they fight in an old tower against beings who can materialize out of nowhere. those last two things i am most unsure of. What i am most sure of is the fact the magic system has a quirk where every spell the main character casts drains his person and i believe he even passes out or comes close a couple of times. another thing i remember is the author actually wrote in parts of the spells as the characters dialogue when he would cast a spell instead of always writing "he cast the spell for...". I also remember one of the characters main offensive spells was lighting bolts. Sorry its all so vague, i wrote everything i could think of in hopes that many vague things would add up to something. Thanks!!
    Well, that outline could apply to a lot of books. I just read, Peter Beagle's The Innkeeper's Song, and if you squint and look out of the corner of your eyes, it would look something like that.

Randy M.

Does anyone know if Robert Newcomb is any good?

Opinions on Mr. Newcomb vary, but in general, he isn't thought to highly. Lot's of hype early on, and it's ironic that his publisher has recently decided against publishing any more books in his series. So his series is unfinished and will remain so unless he can find another publisher. He does not seem to be actively looking for someone else to put out his book, and may have moved on to a different genre.

anymore ideas anyone?? i added more to my original post
    Last edited by rcfuller000; October 1st, 2009 at 10:30 AM.

Does it anything to do with a search for unicorns? I think John Lee wrote something about magic that drains you (actually makes you look really old, so the older you are, the more you know, but the less powerful you are).

I dont remember any unicorns and when i looked up your suggestion i ave to think thats not it.... thank you though

Earthman1
    A number of the elements in your summary remind me of Michael Moorcock's The Vanishing Tower aka The Sleeping Sorceress.

Quote Originally Posted by B5B7 View Post
    A number of the elements in your summary remind me of Michael Moorcock's The Vanishing Tower aka The Sleeping Sorceress.
    That came to my mind, as well.