Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alien Invasion books

Please recommend some that are good.

I read Anvil of Stars by Greg Bear which is a retaliation mission and it is quite good. The prequel - with the actual invasion - I could not read it was too slow.

War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells of course is a classic.

First, you should go back and read The Forge of God.

You might also try Footfall by Larry Niven. It's one of the most convincing accounts of alien invasion I've ever read...but more importantly, it's a fun and exciting read.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlaloc View Post
    You might also try Footfall by Larry Niven. It's one of the most convincing accounts of alien invasion I've ever read...but more importantly, it's a fun and exciting read.
    I enjoyed Footfall too but I'm not sure about realistic. Any race that could build an interstellar spaceship (even from borrowed technology) and not learn enough to wipe out or evade something as clumsy as Project Orion......

Quote Originally Posted by Chuffalump View Post
    I enjoyed Footfall too but I'm not sure about realistic. Any race that could build an interstellar spaceship (even from borrowed technology) and not learn enough to wipe out or evade something as clumsy as Project Orion......
    If I remember correctly, They didn't build the ships, but were sort of the Pets of a race that was wiped out but left their tech behind.

Turtledove's World War series is pretty good, at least the part that focuses on WWII (the first four books with "Balance" in the title). The later books left me a little cold.

Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke is one of the few of this type I have read and is very good.

Last edited by psikeyhackr; November 13th, 2009 at 11:38 AM.

Hi Guys,
    I am new around here, and this is my first post.

I would reccomend Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained by Peter Hamilton. I found it a very satisfying alien invasion story, with a really nasty alien. Be advised it takes place in the future so it may not be what you are looking for if you want aliens invade a contemporary society. Also the books do not stand alone, they are part 1 and 2 of the story.

Jim

Hey,

I too am new here, and I am looking for a specific type of book/series to read. I'm trying to find something similar to the YA Animorphs series.

-Aliens use humans as host
    -Set in contemporary society
    -Kind of a underground operation

The only catch here is I am aiming for something more for adults or older teens. I loved the Animorphs series when I was younger, and It would be great if I could find something similar out there.

Thanks,
    Cameron

Poul Anderson - The High Crusade

Aliens invade britain during the middle-ages, but are a bit sloppy and the english knights take the UFO for themselves hehehe

Gordon Dickson's The Way of the Pilgrim is my personal favorite in this genre, although it too is a retaliation book.

And how can we talk about alien invasions and not mention Tripods by John Christopher?

I hate to be one of those people that dreadge up old topics but, at least I used the search button.

It has been approx 2 years since this has been replied too. Has anything new come out? Everyone considerss Alien invasion of the earth to be a SF cliche, but has there been a present day invasion story since Footfall?

I know that there have been numerous Invasion stories on Film and TV recently but anything new in written media?

It may be a little dated, But I really liked the Visitors by Cliford D. Simak. It is set in the contemporay world of when it was writen, 1980.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Visitors_(novel)

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Hey,

I too am new here, and I am looking for a specific type of book/series to read. I'm trying to find something similar to the YA Animorphs series.

-Aliens use humans as host
    -Set in contemporary society
    -Kind of a underground operation

The only catch here is I am aiming for something more for adults or older teens. I loved the Animorphs series when I was younger, and It would be great if I could find something similar out there.

Thanks,
    Cameron
    Sounds like the Host by Stephanie Meyer would be good for you. Unfortunately, it has a dual lame love story, which left a semi-bad taste in my mouth.

John Ringo

Live free or die.
    Citadel

and his

Into the looking glass

were entertaining.