Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Can aliens attack without invading?

http://www.hardsf.org/HSFRAntT.htm

They're aliens. Who says they give enough of a damn to invade?

KILL THE HUMANS!

psik

PS - Sorry, they aren't humans.
    They are alien monsters. Two legs? DISGUSTING!
    Last edited by psikeyhackr; March 18th, 2011 at 11:11 AM.

David Weber had an Alien Invasion novel in 2010 called Out of the Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Nottobrite View Post
    David Weber had an Alien Invasion novel in 2010 called Out of the Dark.
    **POTENTIAL SPOILERS**

I have heard lots of good things about this book. Up until the last Quarter of the book, when I understand *spoiler* shows up to save mankind from the alien threat. That sounds about as horrible an ending that I have ever heard. I don't need **%&*@ to show up in my good old invasion story.... absurd. Surely someone could help me out.

I found the setting and story in District 9 to be incredible.
    Last edited by Lordwalker; August 26th, 2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: spoilers

Red face

Resurrecting this thread in hopes that someone has discovered a good contemporary Alien Invasion story recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Hey,

I too am new here, and I am looking for a specific type of book/series to read. I'm trying to find something similar to the YA Animorphs series.

-Aliens use humans as host
    -Set in contemporary society
    -Kind of a underground operation

The only catch here is I am aiming for something more for adults or older teens. I loved the Animorphs series when I was younger, and It would be great if I could find something similar out there.

Thanks,
    Cameron
    One of the originals and still good (IMO) Robert A Heinlein's "The Puppet Masters"

It was sorta set in the future, but not really.

Quote Originally Posted by DailyRich View Post
    Turtledove's World War series is pretty good, at least the part that focuses on WWII (the first four books with "Balance" in the title). The later books left me a little cold.
    Loved this series. I did enjoy the later books and the final book, Homeward Bound is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwalker View Post
    **POTENTIAL SPOILERS**

I have heard lots of good things about this book. Up until the last Quarter of the book, when I understand *spoiler* shows up to save mankind from the alien threat. That sounds about as horrible an ending that I have ever heard. I don't need **%&*@ to show up in my good old invasion story.... absurd. Surely someone could help me out.

I found the setting and story in District 9 to be incredible.
    I had read the short story form which Out of the Dark was expanded before reading the book liked it, and enjoyed the novel. Sure it is high-concept hokey (and not as good as Honor Harrington or Safehold), but fun in a check-your-brain-at-the-door way.

As for District 9, the setting is Earth so you must like Earth...story was good, but really an inversion of the alien invasion trope, no?

Robert Silverberg wrote a novel about a decade ago called The Alien Years which is an alien invasion story. I've got a copy, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I had read the short story form which Out of the Dark was expanded before reading the book liked it, and enjoyed the novel. Sure it is high-concept hokey (and not as good as Honor Harrington or Safehold), but fun in a check-your-brain-at-the-door way.

As for District 9, the setting is Earth so you must like Earth...story was good, but really an inversion of the alien invasion trope, no?

Robert Silverberg wrote a novel about a decade ago called The Alien Years which is an alien invasion story. I've got a copy, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.
    The middle novella of The Alien Years is awesome. It was the original story. The rest is awful.

I loved Footfall and The Puppet Masters myself, good books.

$2.99 gets you a similar book on Kindle, Swarm by B.V. Larson. Larson is an indie author that Kindle has allowed to gain some modest popularity and make a living without a major publishing house.

The feel is more similar to The Puppet Masters than Footfall, but a more modern take. There is some originality to Swarm, some clever techs/aliens/ideas. No one would confuse it with hard science fiction, and its unlikely to be the best book you ever read, but its quite enjoyable.

There are 3 books in the series right now, but it isnt done. The author is pumping them out, so its not a major downside.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DailyRich View Post
    Turtledove's World War series is pretty good, at least the part that focuses on WWII (the first four books with "Balance" in the title). The later books left me a little cold.
    Pretty much agree with you there. The "Balance" group was absolutely great, the "Colonization" group had some good and bad storylines but seemed to deteriorate with each successive novel. The final volume just seemed tacked on and not nearly as interesting as any of the predecessors.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuffalump View Post
    I enjoyed Footfall too but I'm not sure about realistic. Any race that could build an interstellar spaceship (even from borrowed technology) and not learn enough to wipe out or evade something as clumsy as Project Orion......
    The aliens had, IIRC, giant crystal monoliths engraved with how to create a computer, a light sail, materials for this or that. A legacy from their masters, or some such.
    It ended up that the aliens were less knowledgeable about science and engineering that 1980s' humans (the book's writing), only that that they could manufacture pre-designed technologies.

A couple of older titles:

The Genocides by Thomas Disch

And not quite alien invasion, but associated,
    War of the Newts by Karel Copek

I suppose you could lump a fair amount of Lovecraft as associational, too -- "The Shadows Out of Time" for instance.

Randy M.

One of my Favorites which is pretty recent. Deathday by William Dietz. Followed by the sequel "Earthrise" . These are very good. I also reccomend the Death's Head trilogy by David Gunn.

I enjoyed John Ringo's Posleen series. The first book, "A Hymn Before Battle" is set off planet but the action moves to Earth in the second book, "Gust Front". Read the first book, though, it's essential.

As far as the anything new, the indie authors that kindle sells for .99 churn these things out like there is no tomorrow. Just head over there and search the top 100 kindle books. I have viewed some of them, such as Season of the Harvest, which I found very mediocre. It, however, is only .99.

The Starforce series by B.V. Lawson is *much* better, but it is not exactly an alien "invasion" story...the aliens do try to invade, but the fighting ranges from marines on earth to ships in orbit to through the warp gates. Really quite a good series for an indie. Not Footfall quality or anything, but darn entertaining nonetheless, and the books are pretty cheap.