Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

The New and Improved Art Thread

Well, at least new... by popular request (okay, KatG asked), a new thread to highlight some artwork.

Let's start off with a big one, my first attempt at a steampunk image. It's called, "You Can't Run Forever, Contessa..."

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    Part steampunk, part cowboy.

I think you need to think more Victoriana... the girl is looking sensational but the guy is all wrong, just quietly.

Waistcoats, top hats, walking sticks, gentlemen/mad scientists, with gadgetry made from copper pipes and clockwork, and the dog is just a standard robot... we need to see its clockwork guts. I don't know what the girl in leathers with the swimming goggles is there for. Need long coats, driving hats, flying leathers, clothes of an English Victorian-era adventure hound.

Here's a photo of a steampunk bad dude:
    steampunk costume
    steampunk watch
    Last edited by Rocket Sheep; October 15th, 2009 at 01:59 AM.

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    Explain the title, please. She doesn't appear to be running from anything at all; she appears to be ready to blow whoever has the temerity to interfere with her immediate plans all to hell and back. And he looks...how does he look? He looks androgynous. I do approve of the knee pads, though, It's so easy to bang your knees when you are trying to save the beautiful woman.
    Sheepie: I recognize that arm and that watch. They are both your property. Now you're passing yourself off as steamed punk? What kind of dish is that?

My arm is thin, my wrist and hands are bony and witchlike and my skin is a strange shade of khaki having decided that tan is just too much to ask for and from now on, some kind of shade resembling dirt is all it can come up with... that is a nicely-tanned fleshy boy arm... not mine.

Steampunk is a dish best served cold.
    Last edited by Rocket Sheep; October 15th, 2009 at 04:56 PM.

I agree that the dog seems a bit off -- it's too comic looking maybe for the picture. The bald guy could use a mustache. But other than that, it's a really interesting picture.

Interestingly enough, on the art sites people really seem to like the dog... The guy has a goatee but it got lost behind his big collar, so yeah a moustache would have been good. I agree that a more Victorian outfit for him would have been better, but we still have a dearth of male outfits relative to female outfits (by about a 20:1 ratio). So getting any decent male clothes at all is a challenge.

I like the robot dog, it just looks like he's smiling and happy and since no one else in that picture looks at all happy, it seems out of place. More facial hair on the guy!

You will all be pleased to know (well, okay, mildly interested to know) that I have re-done the Steampunk picture and re-posted it above (if you're still seeing the western-looking guy, refresh your browser). I've replaced the western guy with a much more steampunk-looking guy. I've also given him a little robotic nasty as a counterpart to the cute robotic dog (whom I've also re-colored).

You're saying steampunk... but you can't have steampunk without clockwork and copper tubing... I don't care how cute the creatures are... I can't see their cogs and windups and brassy bits and steam tubes... so they're not steampunk. Dr Who's dog looks more steampunkish that that one.

The longer coat with the top hat is better... but leather was only worn by those chaps in their incredible flying machines in the Victorian era... and those are not flying leathers on that girl with kneepads... even if those are flying goggles.

Mine is not a complaint about the quality of the image... it's about the genreness of it.

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SheepPerson
    ...but you can't have steampunk without clockwork and copper tubing...
    Clockwork is always orange, not copper.
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPropelledEwe
    ... it's about the genreness of it.
    The Sheep worrying about fitting things into their proper boxes? The financial crisis has more dimensions than we ever suspected if it has RS worrying over whether something fits in Column A or Column B.

I, however, notice the truly important things in Kevin's art, e.g., you will not find me complaining about the attire nor the conglomeration of stuff that makes up whatever it is that makes up what is piled at his feet. No, I will be the only one to notice the gender-match of the pistols in their hands. I am able to do this by comparing the apparent busines ends of each weapon and noticing obvious projections and receptacles. See? It's not an argument; it's a seduction. I still don't see how androgynous person fits in though said person needs to pull up said person's trousers.
    And Her Greatness says I'm not a romantic. Pshaw!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford Eye/Iconoclast View Post
    ...I will be the only one to notice the gender-match of the pistols in their hands. I am able to do this by comparing the apparent busines ends of each weapon and noticing obvious projections and receptacles. See? It's not an argument; it's a seduction.
    It's good we have you around to keep the high ground secure in these debates...

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford Perverted Eye of Truth View Post
    The Sheep worrying about fitting things into their proper boxes? The financial crisis has more dimensions than we ever suspected if it has RS worrying over whether something fits in Column A or Column B.
    I'm sorry, by the time the financial crisis got downunder it was over... and it's not about fitting in Column A or B... it's about straddling all columns at once!

I think Kevin needs to buy the steampunk add-on... he's a few cogs short of a steampunk at the moment, just quietly.

This next one is all Sheepie's fault. She likes the dark and gritty, but I like the soft and pretty. My steampunk wasn't gritty or punky enough, so now we go the other way. This one is much more my natural style, somewhere between Alma-Tadema and Maxfield Parrish. It's called "My Heart Sails With Thee." (I told you all I'm an incurable romantic...)

I like the revamped steampunk better. You can see the tubing on the robot dog's belly, so I don't know what Sheepie is complaining about. It seems steampunk to me.

The romantic one, I like her dress, but the picture is sort of enh for me. Maybe if we could see part of her face? (I keep editing your pictures, sorry about that.) I do like these wide panascapes you're doing now.

Quick! Someone feed that girl! She's all pale and wasted!