Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

The Gathering Storm - Wheel of Time Book 12 Official Discussion NO SPOILERS

This is THE official SPOILER FREE thread to discuss your reaction to The Gathering Storm by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, the 12th book in The Wheel of Time. We realize some people are faster readers than others and as such, people may finish the book and post here before others have had a chance to acquire and read the book.

We also realize people DON'T want to be spoiled. That is, some folks may want to pop into the thread just to see the reactions the book elicits in people rather than the fate of certain characters.

So please, if you want to discuss the book in this thread, please do not spoil the plot of the book in any way. Don't tell us that, for example, Rand grows a tail, wings and a third eye if those events happen in the book. We set up the other SPOILER discussion thread for that.

Because this is one of the biggest genre book releases of the year (and last few years) we will be very strict about monitoring the use of spoilers.

We don't even want to ask people to use the spoiler tag function in this thread. If you sign up for e-mail notifications, the vBulletin code will NOT translate into the e-mail and we want to try to keep those who wish to be unspoiled left that way.

Again, we want to encourage people to discuss the book at their heart's content while also not damaging the reading experience for others, which is why we set up the two threads for the book. We may eventually merge the two threads after a few months have passed.

One of the mods will come back here on the 27th and open up the thread for discussion. Until then it will be closed.

Let the discussions...BEGIN!

I thought this was really well done. Sanderson did well and there is plenty of juicey stuff for the hardcore fans. As always, full thought are avaible at the blog.

I am hoping to pick up my book today - it awaits me as a preorder. I have been frantically trying to get through my reread of KoD - skimming over long descriptions of what people are wearing and rehashing previous events. I got the call on the weekend that the book had arrived but could not have it till today - I accused the fellow of being a tease which I think he found somewhat confusing and strange.

A very good read. The book had a fair amount of pace with several impressive world changing events. It is clear what the main events of the next book will be (the title is a bit of a clue) - roll on next year

One of the best books in the series. It has a feel very similar to "The Fires of Heaven" in terms of pacing. TGS has rekindled my enthusiasm for this series, and makes me optimistic that we might actually get an ending that lives up to expectations (something I had thought impossible after slogging through Books 8-10).

Sanderson did an amazing job with this book.

Ser Jaime and Science Guy - did this not come out like today? You are done? I just got mine in my hands and I cant bloody wait. I have officially shelved the reread. Just read a good summary on Wikipedia. God bless Wikipedia.
    Last edited by Daddy Darth; October 27th, 2009 at 05:31 PM.

Damn mid-terms! I'm gonna have to wait till this weekend.

Started the prologue last night. I savoured every word. I dont know who wrote what i.e. Brandon or Robert, but I am totally into it. I found the intro by Brandon very touching. Made me a little sad all over again.

Reread previous books?

Does Sanderson provide background in the book for someone who read KOD many years ago? Started rereading the books a few months ago but didn't quite make it all the way through.

This release caught me by surprise (been re-reading ASOIAF).
    How would you compare the length or word count with prior novels in the WOT series?

I don't know about word count, but it's 784 pages in hardcover. It's a very thick book.

Macmillan website lists the audio version as 34.5 hours long. Knife of Dreams audiobook is 32 hours long. So it's slightly longer than Knife of Dreams. Same page counts in hardcover, but I guess the font in TGS is a bit more tightly spaced.

Great....I'll be picking this up on the way home tonight!

thank you for the response.

After having read/skimmed some of the reviews that went up over the past couple of days (particularly Larry/Alderion and Adam/Werthead's) I feel very good about the series. I've said this before, but Winter's Heart was the last WoT book I read...back during the first week of November 2000 when it released. Over the past couple of years, I'd been getting more and more nostalgic about the series and remembering just what fun I had reading Lord of Chaos into all hours of the night.

With Brandon's involvement, I was further exciting since I think he is such a great storyteller and truly has the passion for the books.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    After having read/skimmed some of the reviews that went up over the past couple of days (particularly Larry/Alderion and Adam/Werthead's) I feel very good about the series. I've said this before, but Winter's Heart was the last WoT book I read...back during the first week of November 2000 when it released. Over the past couple of years, I'd been getting more and more nostalgic about the series and remembering just what fun I had reading Lord of Chaos into all hours of the night.

With Brandon's involvement, I was further exciting since I think he is such a great storyteller and truly has the passion for the books.
    So have you read the new one, Rob?