Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    So have you read the new one, Rob?
    Nope, like I said, the last one I read was Winter's Heart. I still don't own either Knife of Dreams or The Gathering Storm.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Nope, like I said, the last one I read was Winter's Heart. I still don't own either Knife of Dreams or The Gathering Storm.
    So you still haven't experienced the worst that the WoT has to offer (i.e. Crossroads of Twilight). Plan on getting caught up?

I am definitely looking forward to The Gathering Storm, but I have a lot of other books on my list at the moment. I'll probably get to this sometime early next year, although I sort of wish I could read it right now.

I haven't read New Spring either.

I do plan on getting caught up but I'll have to do a full re-read before I get to Crossroads of Twilight.

I've got a lot on my pile to that I've got to read, but I may just make WoT my secondary read.

I read the prologue at the bookstore today while i was killing time. I can't wait to bring it home and get a day off

The writing is a little different but still good.

There were a few cool view points in the prologue which gave us some nice info

Analyze That
    That's funny that you found the writing in the Prologue a little different, because I believe it was written almost entirely by Robert Jordan.

Just read Werthead's review, and I have to say that I'm excited. I'm not sure whether to continue with my re-reads (I have 2 books to go) or just get it and read it and hope I remember enough to be able to understand everything that's going on.

With all the positive momentum Sanderson's handling of this book is gaining, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Stormlight Archive surpass Malazan Book of the Fallen for the biggest new series since aSoIaF. I'm tempted to buy the whole thing in Hardcover as it comes out.

I had put my WoT reading on hold... not because I wasn't enjoying it, but because man these books are quite lengthy. Spent my time reading some Dresden and Shadows of the Apt among a few others.

Reading all these positive opinions has really given me the itch to get back on the horse.

Coincidentally, at the moment I'm reading Mistborn and enjoying it.
    Last edited by Bastard; October 28th, 2009 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    That was my last one as well!
    Does anybody think it really necessary to read the others before I pick up this , obviously much better Co-production?

WOW, is all i can say i have a fairly busy schedule during the week, but I have to admit this book has already cost me two night good sleep, I just cannot put it down. No spoilers of course, but I think Sanderson did a great job so far filling the shoes of RJ. Or at least as well as anyone could, the book starts out with a good pace and has carried me until chapter 17 in a couple of nights.

Highly Recommend if anyone has not started reading it yet you should pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
    That was my last one as well!
    Does anybody think it really necessary to read the others before I pick up this , obviously much better Co-production?

You will definitely want to read all the books before picking this one up, there is just to much story in books 10 and 11 to have not read them before picking up "The Gathering Storm".

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raand View Post
    You will definitely want to read all the books before picking this one up, there is just to much story in books 10 and 11 to have not read them before picking up "The Gathering Storm".
    Actually, I firmly believe that you can skip Book 10. It's the only book in the series that can be skipped, IMO, because nothing starts or ends. If you don't believe me, check out the wikipedia plot summary for Book 10. Every single character "continues" to do something. Many of these things started in Book 9, and are resolved in Book 11, but in Book 10 everything just... continues. Definitely the worst book in the series.

If you're eager to jump into the new book, I'd recommend at least reading Book 11 first.

I am really enjoying The gathering Storm so far (the first 200 pages), it's on its way to becoming one of my favourite books in the series, even it starts going downhill from here, it's already surpassed the previous 4 installments. Mostly because of the characters - for the first time in a long time I started carrrying about them again and they feel real, not the plot puppets they've been for a long time. Even the likes of Egwene and Gawyn, which I generally dislike, are interesting to read about and behave far more sensibly than usual.

And there's a lot less overtly long descriptions than in the last few books, at least IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeratul View Post
    I am really enjoying The gathering Storm so far (the first 200 pages), it's on its way to becoming one of my favourite books in the series, even it starts going downhill from here, it's already surpassed the previous 4 installments. Mostly because of the characters - for the first time in a long time I started carrrying about them again and they feel real, not the plot puppets they've been for a long time. Even the likes of Egwene and Gawyn, which I generally dislike, are interesting to read about and behave far more sensibly than usual.

And there's a lot less overtly long descriptions than in the last few books, at least IMO.
    No more whimping about what they wear and no more "braid tucking"?

I'm kinda regretting that I didn't make a better effort to be up to date with the series.

Sanderson just hit it out of the park on Gathering Storm. It ranks right up there with The Shadow Rising for me. Of course, so much happens and RJ was the one who planned ALL of this so it may have been the same had he been able to write it.

Right now though, this series just kicked back into overdrive for me. I can not wait for Towers of Midnight.

Also, I have read Sanderson's other stuff and after Mistborn and Warbreaker, well, he is a must read for me like Joe Abercrombie is.

So what's impressing? How it's written? The actual plot? Both?