Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    There's a lot to like in this but I would have to say the following is what I like most.

Plot: It really is all starting to come together. It is narrowing everything down for the last battle.

Pace: Added to the plot, the book is written with a feeling like a funnel where they added all the ingredients, mixed them and they are starting to flow really fast and tight together to one point.

Rand: Writing for Rand was on for that I could almost believe Jordan had written the whole of Rand's part himself like he used to when writing the Shadow Rising.

Egwene: Was already starting to shine but by the end of this book, she really stands as an equal with Rand, Perrin and Mat. She is not in the least whiney or annoying.

The Writer of Fantasy Fred Gallney's Avatar
    Sanderson just hit it out of the park on Gathering Storm. It ranks right up there with The Shadow Rising for me. Of course, so much happens and RJ was the one who planned ALL of this so it may have been the same had he been able to write it.
    Or the Jordan estate would have you believe that Jordan planned all of it. Sanderson said he created his own outline for the last trilogy based on notes left by Jordan. So it could be some of these plot threads are of his own design, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

During interviews with Jordan over the years, he has said on numerous occasions that the plot lines are all in his head.

I don't want to take anything away from Sanderson, but the story is Jordan's and from his extensive notes and storytelling of the completely story i would he had pretty much the whole story spelled out.

sanderson looks to have done a great job following jordan's vision but i wouldn't go so far as to say he was creating different story lines or doing different things with the story lines then jordan had envisioned

Jordan himself prepared an outline for AMoL before he even knew he was dying. He decided to do it because he wouldn't be able to handle the story in his normal fashion as it wouldn't fit into one book.

The story line itself has always been exclusively in my head until it was time to begin a new book. Then I sit down and figure out how much of the story from my head I can get into the book. Until recently, I had been proven wrong on that every time. I could never get into a book as much of the story as I thought I could.

So what began as an imagined six-book series expanded. Now I've reached the last book, and the rest of the story is sketched out on paper for the first time. Well, paper digitally speaking.
    Of course, that still didn't quite pan out.

So an overall structure and outline for what events needed to happen in AMoL, a rough order of chapters and character POVs and so forth existed a long time before Sanderson needed it. And of course, by the time Sanderson got to the notes they were thoroughly more detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
    No more whimping about what they wear and no more "braid tucking"?
    There is an injoke about the braid tugging. Apparently Nynaeve's getting out of the habit of doing it, like she was giving up cigarettes or something.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not going to comment on the book or other peoples posts but the book doesn't seem to be selling aswell as previous books have. Hasn't got above #6 on amazon.com(which by the way for some reason has stopped selling it) and is only at #8 on amazon.uk. Will be interesting to see where it lands on the NYT list.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Not going to comment on the book or other peoples posts but the book doesn't seem to be selling aswell as previous books have. Hasn't got above #6 on amazon.com(which by the way for some reason has stopped selling it) and is only at #8 on amazon.uk. Will be interesting to see where it lands on the NYT list.
    To me it looks 8 for Amazon and 13 for Amazon UK. Am I on the wrong list?

Well, if Amazon stopped selling it for whatever reason, then there's no helping it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The list updates not that it matters as the point is all the recent books had no problems getting to #1.

Well since I checked a few minutes after you posted I found it weird, given that I never check those lists was curious if I was on the wrong one.

Anyways, if what you say it's true then it's a head scratcher given the all the positive reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Two things might be bumping the sales down:

1) That hack Dan Brown has a new book

2) King has a new book hitting shelves in about two weeks

Just curious, those that were opposed to splitting the book into 3 installments... are you of the same opinion now after reading this volume?

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    Just curious, those that were opposed to splitting the book into 3 installments... are you of the same opinion now after reading this volume?
    I doubt anyone who has actually seen the book still opposes the split. I saw it yesterday, and it is fully as large as any WOT book. Sanderson is literally writing 3 books. So just try to imagine if the first three books were combined together as one, and you'll realize how ridiculous it would have been.

Assuming the next 2 books are as thick as this one, it would be hard to argue against the 3-book split. That would be nearly 2400 pages in hardcover. And even a 2-book split wouldn't be feasible, since it would be 1200 pages per volume.

Amazon has the following strange message on it regarding The Gathering Storm:

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
    Anyone know what the problem is?

Edit: Found the following comment:

Misprint! Missing pages 225 to 256!, Oct 28 2009
    As for the lower sales, could it be most people were looking for A Memory of Light and were not prepared for The Gathering Storm? Or is it hearing that Robert Jordan passed away decided not to get the next book or assumed one would not be forthcoming or a combination of both?
    Last edited by Bond; November 2nd, 2009 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    I was opposed to the splitting, but i totally changed my mind after I read The Gathering Storm. It was action packed and not a single chapter felt pointless or unnecessary. The descriptions, as I've mentioned, were also much less bloated and repetitive, and usually did their job of providing the necessary atmpshere and background without being too long. Sure, there was the occasional dress description I could've gone without, but those were on average 4-5 lines, not half a page as in some of the previous volumes.

Plus if the quality remains as high is it was in TGS, I want as more books as possible.

If Amazon stopped selling the book temporarily, that's a pretty huge hit, right? Does anyone know about how much that would affect overall sales?