Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Although not forgotten, it should be noted what a great job Del Rey is doing with all of their Robert E. Howard re-issues in recent years. The most recent is The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard,

Paizo's recently launched Planet Stories® imprint should be welcome too. From their Web site (bolded are some of the older writers):

Planet Stories® presents classic fantasy, science fiction, and science fantasy novels and short story collections to a generation of new readers and lifelong fans. Unforgettable tales from acknowledged masters like Michael Moorcock, Leigh Brackett, C.L. Moore, and Henry Kuttner stand side by side with lesser known but no less worthy yarns from tomorrow's superstars. Introductions from popular modern authors like Joe R. Lansdale, Ben Bova, and Michael Moorcock provide amusing and informative entry points to each book. With new releases every month, Planet Stories promises a master class in the genre aimed at building the greatest fantasy and science fiction library ever assembled.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Although not forgotten, it should be noted what a great job Del Rey is doing with all of their Robert E. Howard re-issues in recent years. The most recent is The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard,

Paizo's recently launched Planet Stories® imprint should be welcome too. From their Web site (bolded are some of the older writers):

Planet Stories® presents classic fantasy, science fiction, and science fantasy novels and short story collections to a generation of new readers and lifelong fans. Unforgettable tales from acknowledged masters like Michael Moorcock, Leigh Brackett, C.L. Moore, and Henry Kuttner stand side by side with lesser known but no less worthy yarns from tomorrow's superstars. Introductions from popular modern authors like Joe R. Lansdale, Ben Bova, and Michael Moorcock provide amusing and informative entry points to each book. With new releases every month, Planet Stories promises a master class in the genre aimed at building the greatest fantasy and science fiction library ever assembled.
    I saw the Howard the other day. Very nice book that, naturally, duplicates any number of books I already own. *sigh*

The Planet Stories volumes they look like fun, and indeed when I read the C.L. Moore Northwest Smith stories a couple of years ago I was entertained; they are the work of a young and imaginative, if not yet disciplined, writer.

Just to note: Nightshade has started a series of volumes of the fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith. Very handsome volumes and some good reading there.

Randy M.

NightShade's doing alot of interesting reprints. I was hoping you'd chime in again Randy.

NightShade's doing alot of interesting reprints. I was hoping you'd chime in again Randy.
    I wish I had more to add, Rob, but I've been trying to read a bit more contemporary work, like Gaiman's Neverwhere.

One somewhat older work -- though, come to think of it, not much older if any than the Gaiman -- I finally read was Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October, which is sort of a tribute to the old Universal Studios horror movies with their motley of monsters. Great fun, but not one I'm sure belongs in this topic.

Speaking of Nightshade, though, I just saw the reissues of the trilogy by Jeffrey Ford starting with The Physigonomy, which reminded me I should finally read them. Very nicely packaged.

About the Smith collections: If I have one problem with them it's that the Zothique stories are spread across them, not grouped. Those are the stories I'm most familiar with and they profitted, I believe, from being together in one book, an old Ballantine pb titled, aptly enough, Zothique.

Randy M.

Theodore Sturgeon seems to have been forgotten now, yet some of his themes were pure fantasy. Reading him so many years ago weaned me off the old Pulps.

Golden Gryphon is reissuing Ford's trilogy.

Golden Gryphon is reissuing Ford's trilogy.

Oops. I should have looked closer. Sorry.

Speaking of publishers who publish interesting books ...

(though not necessarily forgotten classics -- *cough*)

Randy M.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy M. View Post
    One somewhat older work -- though, come to think of it, not much older if any than the Gaiman -- I finally read was Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October, which is sort of a tribute to the old Universal Studios horror movies with their motley of monsters. Great fun, but not one I'm sure belongs in this topic.
    That's my favorite from Zelazny. I really don't think enough people read it.

I just saw the reissues of the trilogy by Jeffrey Ford starting with The Physigonomy, which reminded me I should finally read them. Very nicely packaged.
    I saw this as well, and I'm gonna pick them up. I read these a while ago, and from the library. I'd like to own them.

I am currently 2/3 through Fritz Lieber's Swords and Deviltry and am really enjoying it. I have not read many classic fantasists, so I picked this up to broaden my collection. I have heard of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser before and I think this book does a great job building their characters. I look forward to more of his books with the adventures of the two in Lanhkmar.