Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    As a Peake fan I thought this little alternative history essay was pretty amusing:
    http://www.sfsite.com/fm/show.html?rw,oblivion,1

Hahaha, good one Llama!

Though I don't suppose you have the bibliography of the complete works of Peake? (Including the nicely revised edition that Peake did on 'Titus Alone' and the background of Gorghemgast?)

Two great novels:
    A Face in the Abyss - A Merritt
    The Ship of Ishtar - A Merritt

If you like horror/horror-fantasy, H P Lovecraft is the penultimate master imo.

Fitz, are you sure about Michael Moorcock coining the term "Swords and Sorcery"?

It seems I've read a number of authors coining that term in the mid 60's (eg James Blish in "The Issue at Hand", and L Sprague de Camp in "The Conan Swordbook").

It sounds about right that M Moorcock coined the term around that time too, but was he first?

Like I said, I think it was Moorcock calling what Lieber wrote in his Lankhmar tales S&S. IIRC, I read it in the venerable ENCYCLOPEDIA OF FANTASY.

Fitz and Corwwyn, I'm quite sure the term was actually coined originally by Fritz Leiber himself to describe Conan. I've read this quite a few times and a quick web search seems to back it up.

Abe Merritt's a very good writer, deserves rediscovery. Sort of like a combination of Clark Ashton Smith and H Rider Haggard.

I love the old classic fantasies by writers like William Morris, Lord Dunsany, George MacDonald, and Hope Mirlees, characterized by rich, archaic prose styles and a deep connection with the archetypes of mythology and folklore. I enjoy a fast-paced contemporary story too, but to me there is something so wonderful and mysterious about these older books. Right now I am reading The Dragon Path: The Collected Stories of Kenneth Morris. It is like sipping a delicate dessert wine of rare vintage; satisfying, and a little goes a long way.

Yup, compiling that Kenneth Morris collection is one of the best services Tor has provided to fantasy readers. (Reprinting Avram Davidson is another.) I also have his novel The Chalchihuite Dragon but I haven't read it yet.

Indecisive and Undecided
    In reference to Peake:
    Hopefully the BBC series (which I only caught snippets of) will convince some people to read the books
    Well the series convinced me to read the books, but then I found that they were expensive to purchase and not very easy to come by. Since they're not cheap or abundant on eBay either, I figure more people must have seen the series as well and decided to read the books. I'll just wait until I can buy them in a used bookstore sometime. I have so many other books to read anyway.

[This message has been edited by hclark (edited February 08, 2002).]

Bumping for the benefit of some looking for recommendations on "forgotten" authors.

Fitz and Corwwyn, I'm quite sure the term was actually coined originally by Fritz Leiber himself to describe Conan.
    ..a bit late...and humble..But was doing my weekly browse through my Encyclopedia of
    Fantasy
    and you are correct Llama.

That said, I am going to track down the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser stories.

Another forgotton book that is being reissuied is Islandia. Type it and search on amazon for it, the premise and praise seem quite interesting. The author actually passed away and before publication--his wife and kids assembled everything. The book is somewhat of a cult classic.

It seems that I've overlooked this thread till now.
    Thanks for all the recommendations.
    I'm going to recommend a german classic author, E.T.A. Hoffmann.
    I don't know if he ever was translated but is a very rewarding read.
    When I was still a snob (not transformed into a fantasy "freak") it were his books who slowly turned me around. Well known are "Die Elixiere des Teufels" and "Erinnernungen des Katers Murr".It's dark romantic material.
    Another very old classic is Rabelais ( died 1552), most famous for is "Gargantua and Pantagruel". It's a grotesque satire with fantasy elements.Very funny too.

Ups, must remeber another classic, Bram Stoker's "Dracula". Or is this regarded as horror?
    Anyway: I think there's none of us who hasn't seen at least one variation of vampire films and there are scores of vampire books but who has actually read the original?
    I read it when I was still a kid and it blew my mind. Reread it a few times, tastes developed farther but I still think it's a very impressing book.

Hoffman's stories are generally available in English as "Tales of Hoffman" or some variation thereof.

Fitz, you mention an encyclopedia of fantasy? uugh *drool* me want me want. just kidding. That sounds neat. Is there a specific one to look for that's good? Is there only one ?