Forgotten Author

Hi all, I am trying to remember a fantasy author whos books i read years ago, probably at least 10 years ago. For the life of me i cant remember any of the book titles, or even most of the storyline, however i do remember that they were good!

The only 2 things i can remember is (im fairly sure but not 100% that these 2 things were in the same book or even from the same author) that one of the main characters was an apprentice swordsmith/weaponsmith/blacksmith. And one of the main female characters had... hmm how do i word this.. She had a certain part of her anatomy sewn shut. (disgusting i know but i remember that part lol)

Does anyone have the faintest clue as to what im talking about or know the author?

The sewn shut thing reminds me of the main character in the Women and the Warlords by Hugh Cook, but there were no blacksmith-like characters in that.

Also I have a vague image of Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule comes to mind but can't recall if that was in it or if I just wanted the book sewn shut like that 'cause I detested it so much - I do vaguely remember a fair bit of sexual torture in it.