http://freesf.strandedinoz.com/wordpress/

Question Witch World - Andre Norton - Any fans/experts?

I have read the first one, and it starts off in your standard Edgar Rice Burroughs manner (guy really, really good at the fighting thing ends up on strange new world), but of course the tone and theme is different once he arrives, in some ways, going for the romance fantasy sort of angle.

How long is this main character around for, given that there are tons of these books? They seem to be broken up into geographical series, or something like that?

Thanks,

bt

If I remember well there are two sequences : the Eastern novels (Estcarp, etc...) and the Western novels (High Halleck etc...).

The first two novels Witch World and Web of the Witch World tell the story of Simon Tregarth and his wife.

Three against the Witch World, Warlock of the Witch World and Sorceress of the Witch World tell the story of their three children.

Year of the Unicorn (1965) was the first of the Western novels. So it has no connection with these previous books. Year of the Unicorn is followed by Crystal Gryphon and Jargoon Pard (which tells the story of the son of the main character of Year of the Unicorn).

Many of the later Witch World books are standalones.

For more info you can check at :

www.xenite.org/witch-world

http://freesf.strandedinoz.com/wordpress/
    Great, thanks very much. So likely only the first two I am interested in, if all the others are about natives of the place?

To be honest I have only read the first twoo books myself so I'm not aware if Simon is still present in "the next generation" novels".

Of course the first couple of books were a mix of sf and fantasy. When Norton wrote the first novels in the 60's there was almost no market for fantasy so she had to disguise her Witch World novels as science-fantasy to be able to sell them. Later in the 70's and 80's when fantasy was booming the sf-nal elements could be dropped and the series became more traditional fantasy.

I just read Witch World. Mostly as an exercise to check out a classic writer. I have not read her before (except the collaboration with Mercedes Lackey – Elvenbane). It (Witch World) is pretty dated with the pre-60’s black and white prose.
    Does her writing style change in later books?