Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Any way the wind blows... Colossus's Avatar

Post Choice of writing medium?

I am curious as to what medium the rest of you use when you are writing. At work when I am performing process or business writing I do a better job on the computer. However, when I am writing SF I seem to think better using paper and pencil (eventually translating it to disk).

Blog Entries
    Both to a degree. I compose on the computer. Rattle the story or the basic frame work off. Then when I am into editing I print it off and read it slowly marking up in red.

Then back and forth change, re write, print off read, mark up....
    Last edited by Holbrook; June 9th, 2002 at 05:18 AM.

We may get a better response to this in the Writing section, so I'll slip it into there and see how we go.

Usually, I'll end up jotting something down during a class or at night, doing homework, whatever... Then, once I have access to a computer, I'll add to it and polish it off.

I very rarely use paper. Most of my work is on the computer, and it is only occasionally that I print it off. It would take up too much paper. I draw on paper. I tend to do my story-related drawings myself, and then scan them on the computer.
    Gabador

Cool

I, more or less, work as you, Gabador, though I do print it out. But, if you work on your PC, I hope you keep alot of backup and/or save in the net. You never know what might happen to your HD. I've formated mine many times, for various reasons. And it's a same to lose your work that way.

Oh yeah! Too true!
    I nearly had a heart=-attack a couple of months ago. I was looking for my book on my hard-drive after formatting, made a backup ealier... But no! Wasn't there. Looked on the other PC! NO! Looked on floppys, nothing. I hought I would die...
    But thankfully, I sent a copy of it to a frien earlier that week, and he sent it back o me. I was really lucky. So Now I have it on a floppy, three seperate hardrives, a laptop, and on the net. Just in case. Better safe than sorry

I think I write better on paper because the writing I do at work, which is on a PC, is is very procedural and technical. Whenever I try to write my book on a PC I can never get in the right mindset. Strangely enough when ever I am writing an analysis at work, which tends to require much more creativity than writing the actual process or procedure, I do most of it on paper first. I guess it's a right brain, left brain thing.

I always jot down my rough ideas, characters sketches, and such in a ratty old notebook (I have several kicking around). Then I write the actual story on my computer.

I've got a heap of small pieces of paper lying around with notes and names and stuff, but everything I do is on computer. It saves time and is easy to edit (for me anyway).

Banned
    Pen - meet paper. Go fornicate and bring forth book!

Pencil. Not pen, unless it's nicely coloured or has my name engraved on it in fancy letters. But nearly always pencil.
    Paper - lined paper, old exercise books, school paper with the work crossed off, scrap paper with blank backs.
    Preferably exercise books, that are the little ones, not A4. 64 page. yellow, not pink, even though pinks better quality. Or paper I can write really little on.
    On computer stories tend to be short, easy to read with no planning of any sorts.

I think it must be a phycological. But it's true.

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    I write entirely on my laptop! I close my eyes and type. Fortunately for me, I type faster than anyone I know, sometimes faster than I think. It goes with me everywhere with extra batteries and all! I do almost everything on a computer these days, and I sometimes think that I am loosing the ability to write with my hands. In fact, I can only print now. I cannot write in script any longer.

Banned
    You close your eyes when you type? Freak!

I tried writing (paper and pencil) with my eyes closed once. Never could figure out what I wrote, either a love poem or the germination rate of crocuses.