Page 37 of 56 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    It makes me so sad to see that this forum has died
    How is everyone?

Lettuce pie...mmmmm Eyes of Wolf's Avatar
    I'm fine...well, tired to death and with an extreme workload, as usual. You?

Yeah, same - these next two weeks are going to be really intense for me. Just got my AS mocks timetable. Terrifying.

Anyway, have you guys had a nice half term/Hallowe'en/few weeks?

What's AS?

And I've been doing pretty well, in my first year of college which is pretty fun. Lots of homework though. -_-

You guys read anything good lately/listened to any good music/had any cool experiences?

Sorry, should have said - AS-level exams are taken by UK students when they're 17, at the end of their penultimate school (or sometimes college) year. They're important because they go towards your final school leaving exam results and university offers.

I've been reading way less than I used too lately - too busy. Looking forward to reading Terry Pratchett's new book, Snuff, though! What about you?

GCSE mocks timetable for me! November 30th - December 8th. Sniff. And I have not got any time to revise.

I had a great half term, except that I didn't really sleep enough, so now I feel zombielike after just two days back at school. How about you?

I read The Great Gatsby, which was just perfect. I really loved it. I also bought a huge new book on modern Chinese history, which I'm looking forward to reading. (I'm a History obsessive! And our new History teacher seems awful, so I'm going to need to do lots of extra reading anyway. May as well start now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirkana View Post
    Sorry, should have said - AS-level exams are taken by UK students when they're 17, at the end of their penultimate school (or sometimes college) year. They're important because they go towards your final school leaving exam results and university offers.

I've been reading way less than I used too lately - too busy. Looking forward to reading Terry Pratchett's new book, Snuff, though! What about you?
    Ahhh so like the SAT and ACT here. Gotcha.

Do you know where you wanna go to school next year yet?

And EoW, what's GCSE? haha sorry I feel so ignorant...

As for my life, well, I'm going to do NaNoWriMo this year again, with a goal of 20,000 instead of 50,000. I just know I will not be able to get 50,000 words with all of my schoolwork and extracurriculars.

Exams you do at the age of sixteen, as a culmination of a two-year course in each subject. The real things are in May and June, but I've got mocks in December. Waaaa. Anyway, it's fine - I should have explained!

Oh wow, NaNoWriMo. Have fun and good luck!

Ahh, I see. I'm sure you'll do great!

And thanks. My word count is still 0...

Icelands - yes, as far as I can tell A-levels are roughly equivalent to the SAT and ACT, except you only do them in about 3 or 4 subjects that you choose. Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the UK you drop all your other school subjects after your GCSEs.

No idea where I want to go to univeristy - I feel too young for all this!

That's so cool that you're doing NaNoWriMo, although very wise not to attempt the full 50 000 words; that really doesn't seem feasible for anyone who has a lot of other stuff on their hands. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Eyes of Wolf View Post
    GCSE mocks timetable for me! November 30th - December 8th. Sniff. And I have not got any time to revise.
    Ack, you have them before Christmas? Most of ours were afterwards - much more revision time. Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine, though, and I suppose a big advantage of having them before Christmas is that you get to properly relax over the holiday, so at least you have something to look forward to.

I had a pretty good half term, thanks - it just seems like weeks ago now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyes of Wolf View Post
    I read The Great Gatsby, which was just perfect. I really loved it. I also bought a huge new book on modern Chinese history, which I'm looking forward to reading. (I'm a History obsessive! And our new History teacher seems awful, so I'm going to need to do lots of extra reading anyway. May as well start now.)
    I always mean to read the Great Gatsby - good to know you liked it. The Chinese history sounds fascinating as well. Sorry your history teacher seems terrible, that must suck. Maybe they'll improve when they settle in properly?

Oh, Sirkana, what year are you? I didn't realize you were that much younger; you don't sound like it! And thanks! I'll need it. :P

I'm 17, you?

Oh, me too - but I skipped a grade a while back and I'm guessing the ages for going to university/college are a bit different between the US and UK?

Oh, OK!

In the UK, when you're 16 you can either leave school or carry on until you're 18. Not all schools go up to age 18, so if your school doesn't, you can either go to another school or something called a (sixth form) college, which is only for 16-18 year olds.

When you're 18, you can then go to a university or college. Some people take a gap year to do something else between school and uni, so they go when they're 19. Colleges are smaller than universities and generally more local I think? We tend to call university what you'd call college.

To make it more confusing, some universities (I think just Oxford, Cambridge and Durham) are made up of several colleges which students are assigned to, where you live and to a certain extent get taught.

... Yeah. Not sure you needed to know all that! The word 'college' signifies a ridiculous number of things in the UK.

Ah yes, some take gap years here too. They might not be as common though. As for college vs. uni in the US, college is where you can't get a grad degree; university is where you can. But there are also "schools" within universities, like the School of Science and Engineering at the University of MN; you apply to the school as opposed to the whole university. I think that is similar to what you're describing colleges as?