Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
    My school gives us another week off for some reason (not going to question it though!). Still, even one week is nice, and it must've been good to catch up with people. The whole open days thing is pretty scary - I left it quite late and now all the talks I want to go to seem to be booked up; not sure what to do.
    Last edited by Sirkana; June 8th, 2012 at 06:58 AM.

this week is half term, last week was essentially the end of study leave, as some people were still doing exams, but i was free all week
    ugh open days are a pain. i left it all because i was focusing on exams, and now most stuff is booked up. i'm just going anyway to look around and talk to people, even if i can't go to the talks.

I see; my exams finished right at the end of May, so I guess we get about the same amount of time free overall.

Exactly - I didn't want to have to think about open days when I was trying to do my exams and now it's kind of too late. I think I'll have to do what you're doing, but it is kind of worrying. At least we'll get a sense of the place that way.

i'm hoping that places aren't too strict about checking who goes in so i can get into the talks anyway. bristol say that if you turn up and there are spaces left they'll let in people without tickets, and i expect some people will have booked and then won't turn up. but like you say, you can still get a good idea of the place and talk to students/staff about courses, soi'm not too worried.
    what courses are you lookin at, and where?

Yeah, Bristol seems quite good about it, but Durham seem quite strict, and I don't want to go on a round trip of more than six hours only to find that I can't get in anywhere! It doesn't help that at least 3 of the September open days I might want to go to are on the same day...

I'm looking at Classics and History, still not completely sure which. You want to do something biochemical, right?

yeah looking at biochemistry courses. i was thinking of durham, but they do natural sciences, which doesn't really appeal to me.
    i found a lot of the open days are all at once too, though i've managed to fit them in. going to bath next week, oxford on the 27th, bristol the 28th. possibly looking at york at the start of july, and sheffield the start of september. my college only technically allows us 2 days off for open days, but i'm stretching it a bit, as they want early applications in by the 14th of september so they can process them, so most of the september/october open days are after i need my application done :/

One of my mathsy friends was saying that Bath's open day is on the same day as a Maths A-level exam, so many Year 12s who do Maths and Further Maths won't be able to go, which seems strange!

Anyway, I'm going to Bristol and York too, and probably Oxford in September. I think our school wants applications in by the end of September so it's not quite as rushed as yours. Yours will be over and done with nice and early, I suppose, but in the meantime it must be more stressful.

My school has the two open days rule as well, and tbh I'm going to ignore it; it's not as if we'll be doing much in the last couple of weeks of term anyway, and I'm not badly struggling with my subjects or anything.

Lettuce pie...mmmmm Eyes of Wolf's Avatar
    Oh God, open days. Good luck with applications and fitting everything in to both of you. It's annoying that you have to go back to college after the final week of exams - I have three more days of school after my final exam, one being a type of induction day, one a trip, and one full of assemblies. No actual school. Then again, my final exam is on the 27th - grrr OCR German, why?! The problem is that a lot of people have an entire month of free time, because it's only been Geography, German, and Classics exams post-half-term. Those who aren't doing any of those subjects are either earning as much money as possible or going on holiday during June. I'd prefer either option to having six exams this month. :/

Sirkana- I think they've been ok. It's just that we've had so many mocks that I almost can't bring myself to take these seriously. I still haven't mentally processed that these are actual GCSEs, so I haven't really been cramming frenziedly despite being certain a few months ago that I would be by now.

Ahhh, the problem of democracy Also, yes, it is Luhrmann all over. And I'm iffy about the 3d, but otherwise I'm just hoping against hope that this will finally be The Right Adaptation.

i had GCSE German as my last exam last year EoW. i had stats the same day too. it was boiling hot so a load of us sat and ate icecream on the rec inbetween. then everyone finished the exam in about half the time and at the end the invigilator was just like 'oh just go' instead of making us wait for papers to be collected etc.

Oh, was that AQA German reading on the 27th? I had to do that too! Everybody else had finished long since and we had to sit inside on the sunniest day of the year and do that stupid exam. It was made somehow more insulting by the fact that it was actually one of the easiest exams, though I suppose I should have been grateful for that.

If I hadn't taken German, Latin and Greek I would have finished two weeks earlier... I just looked my GCSE timetable up out of curiosity though, and, if it makes you feel any better, EoW, I had 13 exams last June, and I wasn't even doing that many GCSEs. Still, 13 or 6, it's still a real pain, and from that point of view, ASes really are so much better.

EoW - It must be annoying that they make you go back for three days after exams - we only had the induction day thing. At least for us it's actual school, not just incidental stuff. I'm sure your exams are going fine; it's better to take them calmly than cram desperately anyway.

Haha, is definitely my reaction to open days - can't quite process the fact that I'm leaving school next year.

The film's going to be in 3D? Oh dear - it tends to be used so gratuitously and unnecessarily. I hope it won't be this time, but I can't help feeling pessimistic. Then again, I'm a pessimistic person in general, so that might just be me.

Lettuce pie...mmmmm Eyes of Wolf's Avatar
    Oh, was German this late last year? I'd heard that it used to be one of the earliest, and people were shocked that it was so late this year - perhaps last year was the first time it was scheduled so late? Anyway, whoa, those invigilators sound wonderful. We have one invigilator who just can't sit still, and had a staring contest with a friend of mine throughout one of the Latin papers.

I have my German listening next week, and they're always completely hilarious (or maybe that's just me), so I'm very worried about bursting into laughter in the middle of it. It's all exacerbated by the fact that they use the same four voice actors every time, for characters of every age.

Wow, 13?! That's horrible - I had 19 in May, so maybe mine were concentrated in May and yours in June?

I dislike 3d because I have to wear two pairs of glasses and it makes everything dark and blurry. And Gatsby's hardly an action story - if it's used well it can enhance fantasy settings and quick movements, but of course Gatsby's not really got either of those.

Well, AQA German was late last year - maybe OCR German's usually earlier? I don't know. Anyway, you're right, I just had 10 exams last May, so I suppose they were less concentrated than yours. Our invigilators are usually OK - the staring contest sounds horribly unnerving - but you still get some whose heels click when they take a step, or stand in front of the clock, or don't notice when you need more paper... It must be a terribly boring job, though.

Yes, listening exams are always faintly ridiculous - I think it's something to do with the exam board's perceptions of how young people talk, along with the fact that they're just so slow.

Exactly, that's what I meant by gratuitous use of 3D - it just seems to be tacked on as a sometimes effective, but often just a gimmicky extra. I don't remember wearing two pairs of glasses being an issue for me last time I watched a 3D film, but then it was a while ago.

Hey all! Just finished rereading the series, which was a great experience - I haven't read The Crow or The Singing since the first time I read them. The beauty of it all struck me anew. I was feeling a bit nostalgic, so I made my way back to this forum, hoping that it wasn't dead. And it's not! Yay!

Have you guys heard that Alison's working on a prequel to the Pellinor series? A story about Cadvan when he was young?

I hope y'all are doing well.

Wow, it's been ages since I was last here. It seems to have gotten a little quiet.

I had my last exam in early May so I've had plenty of free time already, with waaaay too much left to go!

I'm going to sound quite above myself here but seeing talk of GCSEs and Alevels feels weird!
    This time last year everything in my life was going pretty bad and I was still clinging onto the false hope that I would get onto the course I wanted to.
    needless to say, I didn't, but I've finished and passed my first year of uni on a course that is quite different to what I had originally planned to study and I'm pretty happy. There's still bad stuff trying to bring me down but that's life!

When I got my results last August I pretty much guessed uni was out of the question and I wasn't even sure I wanted to go... But stuff happened and I'm one step closer to getting a degree which may not neccessarily get me a job by default, but it may make me a more attractive candidate in the future. I'm optimistic, maybe stupidly so, but I actually feel like I'm doing something worthwhile with my life.

I hope you guys get to so what you want and if not, it won't be the end of the world!
    I used to hate these little pep talks and think it would never happen to me, but it did... Probably just to prove me wrong. :O
    Last edited by Becks; July 3rd, 2012 at 08:48 PM.

Nice to see you around, Becks! Sorry to hear that things didn't turn out the way you wanted them to - it makes you realise how fragile all of this is. But you seem to have made the best of it, which is great!